Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Schwann
PLEASE NOTE: The below information is largely out of date as of 2023 and needs to be updated:

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges. The Departure Lounges at HIA include :

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge - QR and OW First Class Passengers only
Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge - QR and OW First and Business Class Passengers only
HIA First Class Lounge
HIA Business Class Lounge
Oryx Lounge
Al Maha lounge

Additionally, there is an arrivals lounge for those exiting the airport (either very long connection or if Doha is their final destination)

For information on which lounge to use, when travelling with QR, at other airports, please see here.

Which Departure Lounge can I use?

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge - The Lounge access is only for Qatar Airways and Oneworld First Class passengers and is located on Level 3 of the airport. Arriving on a longhaul Qatar First class qualifies for lounge access even if connecting flight is not in F. Reports on the Lounge, can be found here(external link) and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here (external). Wiki for Al Safwa is here.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card for a flight departing in F or a boarding card for an incoming longhaul F flight. Op-ups and guests are not admitted.

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge - The Lounge access is only for Qatar Airways and Oneworld First and Business Class passengers and is located on Level 3 of the airport. Information and photographs can be found here - here. A thread has recently been started specific to Al Mourjan - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ss-lounge.html. Existing posts in this thread about Al Mourjan will be moved there as time permits.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card for a flight departing in J or a boarding card for an incoming longhaul J flight.

HIA First Class Lounge - The First Class Lounge is located on Concourse A, Level 2 at the airport and offers facilities which include complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi, shower facilities, conference rooms, smoking rooms, family rooms, a business centre and a nursery. First or Business class ticketed passengers as well as QR Privilege Club Platinum and Oneworld alliance Emerald members may access this facility.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card showing OWE status for your departing flight.

HIA Business Class Lounge - This lounge, that caters for First or Business class ticketed passengers as well as QR Privilege Club, Platinum Gold and Silver members and oneworld alliance Emerald and Sapphire members, is located on Concourse A, Level 2 at the airport, and offers facilities which include complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi, shower facilities, conference rooms, smoking rooms, family rooms, a business centre and a nursery.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card showing OWS status for your departing flight.

Oryx Lounge - May be used only by eligible customers when travelling on: British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Royal Jordanian, SriLankan Airlines. Economy passengers will be able to gain access to the lounge for a fee of QAR 200 (USD 55).

Al Maha Lounge - Available to priority pass members. Located opposite the entrance to the Oryx Lounge.

Arrivals Lounge - There are essentially 2 - the first one is prior to immigration and has some snacks, drinks, and a seating area, as well as a dedicated immigration booth. The second (and main) one is just outside customs to the left, near the W.H. Smith store. This one has snacks, drinks, a menu to order from, showers, etc. Both arrivals lounges are for QR J passengers only, oneworld status alone will not get you into the lounge.

Opening Times
QR lounges are open 24 hours/day and serve no alcoholic beverages during Ramadan (27 May-25 June 2017 and 16 May-14 June 2018).

Luggage facilites
There are luggage boxes for hand luggage in Al Safwa, Al Mourjan, First Class and Business Class lounges.

Transit Options
Alternatives for long transits:
Print Wikipost

QR Lounges at HIA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:51 pm

So they changed their rules? In some of the earlier posts I see OWE flying J getting access to the First Lounge and now no access for OWE and J
I've booked a flight to asia with QR instead of BA but I already reget it
Could I at least use the voucher to pay Orxy Lounge entree fee?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by danger
I'll be passing through again in about 10 days, flying J and as (double) oneworld Emerald but I fear the most recent posts suggest I'm going to get the same terrible experience from the "world's five star airline". It will be a transit, arriving (in J) at midnight and departing (in J) around 9am. I'm not eligible for the complimentary transit accommodation and it seems from recent reports that I will actually have to pay to use a lounge. That stinks.
Just to be extra clear - my post referred (mainly) to the access rules to the not-yet-functioning premium lounges. They were very much "chinese whisper" versions of the rules passed to me in conversation with an airport duty manager.

My first-hand experience suggests that as a OWE travelling in QR J you will be given access to the current First-lounge. That is where I was directed travelling under those conditions. It's a small facility, and I understand this might lead them to restrict access when it gets busy.

I wouldn't enjoy spending the night there.

Good luck!
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I wouldn't enjoy spending the night there.

Good luck!
Agree. I spent 2 hours there and it was more than enough.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
Ironic that QR has just been awarded 2014 Best Business Lounge by Skytrax
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bluegreentravel
Ironic that QR has just been awarded 2014 Best Business Lounge by Skytrax
The old premium terminal was definitely one of the better transit experiences available in business.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
The old premium terminal was definitely one of the better transit experiences available in business.
To be fair, it was very good (but I prefer Changi SQ or HKIA CX)...

But knowing QR, they would publicize this to death - even if the J lounges are now in the chaotic HIA...
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A Gold
Originally Posted by ironmouse
Just checked in at ZRH in J and have been handed a letter saying there is no lounge access in Doha. If I'm a privilege member I can qualify for 10,000 pts I can also present my boarding card and the letter to customer service in Doha and they will give me a voucher for the Duty Free(doesn't say for how much)
So we ended up with 300 qatar dinirs? each ($75) vouchers to spend anywhere in the Duty Free . Hotel for the night with 175 Qatar dinirs food spend each and a limo transfer to and from, can't say I missed the lounge
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:44 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Imagine in 6 months time, when the proper lounges are all open, this thread will be long forgotten
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:46 am

Programs: ETIHAD GOLD,EMIRATES GOLD QATAR PLATINUM
q mile compensation

i am QR Gold status and was travelling in business on a j ticket from casablanca via doha to bangkok which is my normal twice monthly route always in business or first if into Cairo.
Was a regular Etihad flyer on this route but decided to use QR as the carrier for all my future travel needs.
on the 6 occaisions i have been to the new airports temp lounges i couldnt get a seat in either lounge,was told on my last visit at the desk to pay $40 to use the lounge on the other side.
i not so politley declined that offer and told the girl exactly what i thought which was met with a blank stare and a shrug of the shoulders.
i sent a complaint in via email 5 days ago and got a reply today,was given 5000 miles as compensation.
better than nothing?
will be in transit again on the 5th August so hopefully the new lounges will be open ?
or maybe not

Last edited by 3737ipod; Jul 16, 2014 at 4:11 am
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
Imagine in 6 months time, when the proper lounges are all open, this thread will be long forgotten
I disagree with you. I think anyone now experiencing the total mess that Qatar is making with regard to its business customers and lack of available lounges, will remember for a long long time to come!
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: ETIHAD GOLD,EMIRATES GOLD QATAR PLATINUM
Originally Posted by dave31
I disagree with you. I think anyone now experiencing the total mess that Qatar is making with regard to its business customers and lack of available lounges, will remember for a long long time to come!
I would agree,as decent as there onboard product is the lounge and boarding issues are not what i would expect of QR.
The premium terminal was head and shoulders above what we have now and still dont know what the new lounges will be like.^
i have 4-5 hour layovers outbound and inbound so a good lounge experience is essential and we certainly aint getting that at the moment.
i am prepaired to give them untill September but if the new lounges are still closed i will go back to flying Etihad.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
6 months? I hope you're kidding. Let's hope they are hoping by the end of August. Seems to be the date most people are counting on at this point.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
6 months? I hope you're kidding. Let's hope they are hoping by the end of August. Seems to be the date most people are counting on at this point.
Indeed, but as with the airport opening and the A380 introduction, dates seem very flexible with QR.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG
QR Lounges at HIA

I wouldn't hold your breath. Seems the airport, unbelievable as it sounds, was opened prematurely! They are now in a chaotic catch 22 of trying to fix things while it is open with new snags appearing every day and priorities changing as a result. I doubt lounges are top of the list but air bridges and other unforeseen issues.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EB Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Where did you hear August? Last I heard was the end of July.

I'm connecting through in mid sept. Hopefully something is open by then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.