Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

"We got a new subforum -- I'm so happy/I'm so sad" DISCUSSION THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"We got a new subforum -- I'm so happy/I'm so sad" DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 3:46 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
So now premium economy "deals" are mixed into it all?! And now way of knowing what the deal is until you click into each and every single thread on the subforum.
There's no reason why it should be harder than distinguishing between C/J and F. I'd expect it to be addressed in the posting rules that are currently under development. (One option would be a drop-down box with prefixes for posters of new threads to choose between.)
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by mileageking
+1
+2
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by skunker
The problem is this discussion that is currently taking place should have happened prior to TB voting, but nobody was notified. Nothing personal but you made it your mission to get this passed (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23658514-post29.html). It had been rejected a couple other times in the past, but apparently those arguments are no longer valid.

It's over and there is nothing we can do about it now, so I'll move on.
Is it really over? Isn't there an appeal process?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Stop the whining, start the posting!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Stop the whining, start the posting!
+1

Not commenting on the wisdom of the choice to create the new forum. But it is here.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So now premium economy "deals" are mixed into it all?! And now way of knowing what the deal is until you click into each and every single thread on the subforum. Wow, pretty unhappy over this change.
Premium Economy and (intercontinental) First fares should be clearly demarked in the title. If you find this is not the case, please report it to a moderator who can adjust the title appropriately.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I don't know if it is my RSS feed reader (MS Outlook) or if it is the forum itself.

But the updates don't seem to get published very often. It is still multiple times a day but it is not instantaneous.
You should report this over in the tech support forum, and see if they can do anything about the refresh rate (either site-wide, or on a per-forum basis).
Old Oct 25, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
So now premium economy "deals" are mixed into it all?! And now way of knowing what the deal is until you click into each and every single thread on the subforum. Wow, pretty unhappy over this change.
The Good Deals Premium Economy 2014 thread has 7 pages, compared to 225 on the Good Deal Premium thread. That's a ratio of 3/97.

You can pretty certain that most every deal posted will be for J/C, so I think your fears are unfounded.

Also, it's been recommended that people clearly mark if the deal is for something other than J.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Glad you guys are so happy and thank you for letting us know. So often people only communicate with TalkBoard to complain (about us, FT in general etc.) so a little gratitude makes me, and the rest us, feel nicely appreciated.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
oops! not really interesting enough to post twice ...

Last edited by IAN-UK; Oct 26, 2014 at 3:32 am Reason: duplication
Old Oct 26, 2014, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Buzzman
Yes... I agree... first I heard about it was when it happened.... not liking that E+ is in the mix..
I can (more or less) understand that from a North American perspective. But from the wider-world point of view, lower-fare premium products can offer very substantial improvements over economy travel.

And for better or worse FT covers global travel concerns.

Rather than three separate forums for first, business and premium-economy classes - we now have one covering <not economy>.

I'm guessing you wouldn't ask for a separate sub-forum on the lines of United Airlines' business-class flights to Saigon in January. So you accept a need to sift for preferences within the thread regarding destination, dates, carrier and alliance membership

Additional sorting of the three possible cabin options in the forum doesn't seem a particularly onerous task.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I did not want to comment whilst it was part of the "fares" thread, but now that a discussion area has been created - I'm happy with the new forum. Not "so happy", just happy.

I think it will make it easier to have a look at deals that may be of interest (especially for those of us not based in North America, as most deals are US-based and we can now screen relevant deals for each of us by title, origin, alliance, etc) and it will finally make it easier for those of us not interested in off topic meta discussion (what is the best plane, what is the meal like, whether you get 3000 eqm with airline xyz or not, whether it is eligible for bonus, how some people would neeeeever fly in [airline] J even if given 1000 billion dollars because it is sooooo horrible, etc) to avoid it while those who are legitimately keen on hearing more about those issues will still be able to ask them with regards to the specific fare.

So I vote ^

In my view, however, there are two conditions for this to work well:

(1) I hope that everyone will stick to informative thread title (e.g, origin-destination, airline, class, currency, fare) and

(2) I hope that this will remain a forum about "posting" fares and that people will not see it as license to request the fare of their dream which in my view should remain in the mileage run discussion forum.

Last edited by orbitmic; Oct 26, 2014 at 4:30 am
Old Oct 26, 2014, 2:16 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by orbitmic
(2) I hope that this will remain a forum about "posting" fares and that people will not see it as license to request the fare of their dream which in my view should remain in the mileage run discussion forum.
Even though we're still in the process of hammering out the detailed rules for the new forum, I can say that it is unlikely that we will be allowing fare requests.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 2:32 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by IMH
There's no reason why it should be harder than distinguishing between C/J and F. I'd expect it to be addressed in the posting rules that are currently under development. (One option would be a drop-down box with prefixes for posters of new threads to choose between.)
One reason is sheer volume - with each deal given a separate thread and Economy, Business and First deals being mixed together, I suspect that the volume will make it difficult to find what I want.

Originally Posted by Calchas
Premium Economy and (intercontinental) First fares should be clearly demarked in the title. If you find this is not the case, please report it to a moderator who can adjust the title appropriately.
As of now, no thread is marked with travel class. Most thread topics are the typical MR shorthand, and not covering enough information. So I (and other FT'ers) should report to moderator each time a new deal is posted?

Originally Posted by 18sas
The Good Deals Premium Economy 2014 thread has 7 pages, compared to 225 on the Good Deal Premium thread. That's a ratio of 3/97.

You can pretty certain that most every deal posted will be for J/C, so I think your fears are unfounded.

Also, it's been recommended that people clearly mark if the deal is for something other than J.
Again, as of now no threads are marked. So if I am looking for deals in business class, I should look for threads that are not marked with travel class?

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I can (more or less) understand that from a North American perspective. But from the wider-world point of view, lower-fare premium products can offer very substantial improvements over economy travel.

And for better or worse FT covers global travel concerns.

Rather than three separate forums for first, business and premium-economy classes - we now have one covering <not economy>.

I'm guessing you wouldn't ask for a separate sub-forum on the lines of United Airlines' business-class flights to Saigon in January. So you accept a need to sift for preferences within the thread regarding destination, dates, carrier and alliance membership

Additional sorting of the three possible cabin options in the forum doesn't seem a particularly onerous task.
I agree on your first paragraph, but my conclusion is the oposite. Even if some airlines offers decent economy+, it is still miles apart from business and first class. Personally, any economy travel is out of the question. Therefore I'd prefer the deals in different travel classes to be separated. I would feel the same f I was limited in budget; then I'd be looking for economy deals only and wouldn't want it cluttered with J/F-deals I can't afford.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As of now, no thread is marked with travel class. Most thread topics are the typical MR shorthand, and not covering enough information. So I (and other FT'ers) should report to moderator each time a new deal is posted?
Assume they are J (or North American/Middle Eastern F).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.