Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Electronic Devices Ban on Direct Flights to UK from 6 ME and North African Countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
See this UK government announcements
https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/additional-airline-security-measures-on-some-routes-travelling-to-the-uk
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/additional-hand-luggage-restrictions-on-some-flights-to-the-uk
https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/electronic-devices-and-electrical-items

Flights affected
This will apply to inbound flights (all operators) to the UK from the following locations:

Turkey
Lebanon
Egypt
Saudi Arabia
Jordan
Tunisia

Devices affected
Under the new arrangements, phones, laptops and tablets larger than:

length: 16.0 cm
width: 9.3 cm
depth: 1.5 cm

will not be allowed in the cabin on selected flights to the UK from the countries affected. Most smart phones fall within these limits and will continue to be allowed on board. However, devices larger than these dimensions may not be carried in the cabin and therefore much be placed in checked bags.

(By way of comparison, iPad Mini = 20.32 x 13.48 x 0.61cm. Amazon Kindle = 16.0 x 11.5 x 0.91 cm)
Print Wikipost

Electronic Devices Ban on Direct Flights to UK from 6 ME and North African Countries

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:26 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

This is the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum.

Per the forum sticky thread, Please Read: Important Information, this is the place to ask questions and get information to help you travel safely with minimal hassle.

Before posting in this thread, please ask yourself: If I were traveling today, is this something that I need to know?”

This forum is NOT the place to debate the justification for this electronics ban or comment about its wisdom. The venue for such discussions is the Electronic Devices Banned on Flights to US & UK from 10 ME Countries thread in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Posts have been moved over. Future posts debating the electronics ban will summarily deleted without further notice.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:57 am

Warning: Istanbul Ataturk airport using wrong size templates for new electronics ban

We have just completed our first journey following ban of certain electronics on UK inbound flights. The security check at the gate consists of body search and bag search. Every single piece of electronic is subjected to a test using small piece of plastic with two holes cut out. One to check width, one to check lenght. The problem is the thickness of these holes are way smaller than 1.5 cm allowed according to UK government announcement .
My power bank would not fit through this hole and was mercilessly added to a bin with what I estimate as 50 other power banks. My external hard drive would not fit either and that is when I noticed something is a bit off. I could clearly tell the HDD is no thicker than 1.5 cm, after much arguing and consulting senior staff I was allowed to keep it. Returning home I measured the power bank as I have one more identical one at home and it is 1.3 cm thick. My HDD is 1.1 cm thick so I would say the mold they are using is 1 cm thick maximum. Bear this in mind when travelling as you might lose essential items.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:32 pm

Laptop Ban from Beirut??

Hi,

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere - I took a look around and couldn't find an answer.

I've got a flight to Beirut coming up, and I believe I will be impacted by the laptop ban since the first leg of my return journey will be via London. Has anyone out there experienced this with Middle East Airlines?

As far as I know, MEA doesn't have any gate check service the way Emirates and others do. I'm debating whether to bring my laptop at all, but this is a work trip, so it's difficult to leave behind. Any experience you have had travelling with a laptop in checked baggage on a non-gate-check airline (MEA, Jordanian, Egyptian, etc.) would be very helpful. Has anyone experienced theft or breakage at these airports, or has it generally been fine?

Thanks!
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CLD_query
Hi,

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere - I took a look around and couldn't find an answer.

I've got a flight to Beirut coming up, and I believe I will be impacted by the laptop ban since the first leg of my return journey will be via London. Has anyone out there experienced this with Middle East Airlines?

As far as I know, MEA doesn't have any gate check service the way Emirates and others do. I'm debating whether to bring my laptop at all, but this is a work trip, so it's difficult to leave behind. Any experience you have had travelling with a laptop in checked baggage on a non-gate-check airline (MEA, Jordanian, Egyptian, etc.) would be very helpful. Has anyone experienced theft or breakage at these airports, or has it generally been fine?

Thanks!
Have you considered flying from BEY to CDG and then other carriers onward from there to get to your destination? That is one possible way to fly out with a laptop as part of cabin baggage.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:20 pm

Thanks for responding! Unfortunately though, the trip was booked through my employer's travel agent, so I don't have any flexibility on the routing (and I already asked...).
Old Jun 2, 2017, 3:23 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Action

Originally Posted by CLD_query
Hi,

Hi @CLD_query,

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

I have merged your question into an existing discussion of the ban of electronic devices on flights to the UK from certain Middle East airports.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Can anyone comment on how British Airways is handling the UK Electronics Ban on flights originating from Middle East?

I made the mistake of booking a flight from the Middle East to the USA transiting in LHR.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:34 am

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
To (fingers crossed) be able to close this discussion out,

Have the UK followed the US in ending the larger electronics ban from the originally designated ME & NA nations to the UK?

I haven't been able to find any press on it - other than that of the US announcements.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:17 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nyc6035
To (fingers crossed) be able to close this discussion out,

Have the UK followed the US in ending the larger electronics ban from the originally designated ME & NA nations to the UK?

I haven't been able to find any press on it - other than that of the US announcements.
The uk has yet to change any of the imposed restrictions. They may do soon though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.