Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Electronic Devices Ban on Direct Flights to UK from 6 ME and North African Countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
See this UK government announcements
https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/additional-airline-security-measures-on-some-routes-travelling-to-the-uk
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/additional-hand-luggage-restrictions-on-some-flights-to-the-uk
https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/electronic-devices-and-electrical-items

Flights affected
This will apply to inbound flights (all operators) to the UK from the following locations:

Turkey
Lebanon
Egypt
Saudi Arabia
Jordan
Tunisia

Devices affected
Under the new arrangements, phones, laptops and tablets larger than:

length: 16.0 cm
width: 9.3 cm
depth: 1.5 cm

will not be allowed in the cabin on selected flights to the UK from the countries affected. Most smart phones fall within these limits and will continue to be allowed on board. However, devices larger than these dimensions may not be carried in the cabin and therefore much be placed in checked bags.

(By way of comparison, iPad Mini = 20.32 x 13.48 x 0.61cm. Amazon Kindle = 16.0 x 11.5 x 0.91 cm)
Print Wikipost

Electronic Devices Ban on Direct Flights to UK from 6 ME and North African Countries

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I would think the X-Ray would reveal any such electronic device/battery? Similar to liquid you must remove it from your bag.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:00 pm
NFH
Suspended

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Originally Posted by southsidesilver
Not sure if I missed something, but would one be entitled to a full refund on a ticket now. As a business traveler I can't check my laptop for security. So then I can't travel without it.

So could I get a full refund in this situation ?
You booked your flight based on the guidelines published on BA's web site about what you can and can't take in your cabin baggage at the time of booking. BA publishes plenty of relevant information, including pages about banned items and in-seat power. That information formed binding contractual terms under Section 50 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Therefore if you booked the flight and then BA did not honour those implied contractual terms, BA would be in breach of contract.

BA's customer relations has no clue about such legal matters, and you'd probably have to complain to CEDR to get a refund.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
Originally Posted by ComputerCommuter
Yes but the person at the security scanner never asks where you're flying too, certainly not in Jeddah. So, how do they differentiate between a passenger travelling to London vs someone say travellng within the Kingdom or flying to say Dubai or points East. In other words how do they know who should and shouldn't be carrying a laptop/tablet?

As someone has said, there will now have to be a secondary search at the gate/airbridge which will take time, I presume.
Clearly gate scanning is the only option. Centralised scanning wouldn't help the scenario of me, travelling from CAI-DXB handing you my laptop after passing through security.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by NFH
You booked your flight based on the guidelines published on BA's web site about what you can and can't take in your cabin baggage at the time of booking...Therefore if you booked the flight and then BA did not honour those implied contractual terms, BA would be in breach of contract.
Appropriate legal advice should be sought if one wishes to challenge BA's stance. If you are a business traveller, it may be easier for your company to cancel your current ticket and book you on a connection via a European hub.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by techie
DfT says that the UK ban must be implemented by this Saturday (25th). Therefore, folks flying that day should expect to be asked to put those devices into checked luggage.
That's a change. Initially, the UK said there was no deadline for ban implementation, but that raised comments/questions. My bet is increased TATL coordination has been taking place in between yesterday morning and this afternoon/evening and this is a sign of just that. Watch out for more "harmonization" before making new travel plans to try to respond to this latest version of the ban.
Originally Posted by ComputerCommuter
And that's the nub of the question. I've managed to go through Jeddah with a bottle of water, not even concealed!
... as I have at LHR. Gate checks are possible at Saudi airports too.

Originally Posted by Tisbutascratch
In the case of the UK there's a dozen or so airlines affected not just BA and more airports than those you name
Indeed. Turkey has more than just IST being served by/serving UK airports. Charter tourist flights aren't exempted.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 22, 2017 at 3:50 pm
Old Mar 24, 2017, 1:19 am

I was on a BA flight from Cairo to London yesterday (23 March) and the ban was in full force. Not only was my laptop banned from my carry on bag so were my cameras. So £5k of cameras (I am a photographer) and a laptop had to be checked in. They were very strict with checks before and after check-in and again at the gate where I saw one camera being taken off a passenger. Just to say, for any photographers, lenses were allowed. So half my kit was in the hold and half was in my carry on (the lenses being as valuable as the cameras at least some of my kit was still in my possession!) I was very nervous that they would be damaged or stolen but thankfully they arrived safely in London.

I just hope this ban isn't extended to all flights across the world, and as an Emirates flyer I hope Dubai remains off the list for flights to the UK where I live. We'll see....
Old Mar 24, 2017, 1:42 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by jonarnold1
I was on a BA flight from Cairo to London yesterday (23 March) and the ban was in full force. Not only was my laptop banned from my carry on bag so were my cameras. So £5k of cameras (I am a photographer) and a laptop had to be checked in. They were very strict with checks before and after check-in and again at the gate where I saw one camera being taken off a passenger. Just to say, for any photographers, lenses were allowed. So half my kit was in the hold and half was in my carry on (the lenses being as valuable as the cameras at least some of my kit was still in my possession!) I was very nervous that they would be damaged or stolen but thankfully they arrived safely in London.

I just hope this ban isn't extended to all flights across the world, and as an Emirates flyer I hope Dubai remains off the list for flights to the UK where I live. We'll see....
Can you kindly share how you packed your items in your checked bags? E.g. Did you use baggage locks, luggage straps, or have your checked baggage wrapped prior to checking them in?

Thanks
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
This is what Turkish Airlines are doing: http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-us...re-comfortable

Long story short: pretty much the same as Emirates with their "hand over at the gate, we will store it, will give you back at your destination, it's free" service.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
This is what Turkish Airlines are doing: http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-us...re-comfortable

Long story short: pretty much the same as Emirates with their "hand over at the gate, we will store it, will give you back at your destination, it's free" service.
Great info, thank you...now I wonder if they will have the proper padded/insulated boxes to properly store them and prevent any damage during their care until we land.

Also, I think this is going to be prolonging the boarding process inevitably, but does provide better peace of mind vs placing electronics into checked in bags
Old Mar 25, 2017, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by vg247
Great info, thank you...now I wonder if they will have the proper padded/insulated boxes to properly store them and prevent any damage during their care until we land.

Also, I think this is going to be prolonging the boarding process inevitably, but does provide better peace of mind vs placing electronics into checked in bags
Indeed, but they can rather store the devices box in a location in the cabin accessible by crew only rather than in the hold. A battery fire can then easier be extinguished.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by NFH
You booked your flight based on the guidelines published on BA's web site about what you can and can't take in your cabin baggage at the time of booking. BA publishes plenty of relevant information, including pages about banned items and in-seat power. That information formed binding contractual terms under Section 50 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Therefore if you booked the flight and then BA did not honour those implied contractual terms, BA would be in breach of contract.

BA's customer relations has no clue about such legal matters, and you'd probably have to complain to CEDR to get a refund.
I doubt BA is in breach of contract as this was something imposed on them by the UK government.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 5:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NFH

Except the CRA has nothing to do with flight bookings

(in fact the CRA doesn't relate to contracts of carriage at all so mentioning it is a bit of a red herring).
Old Mar 25, 2017, 5:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Oh and notice the BA CoC, specifically section 13:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ns-of-carriage

Your responsibility to obey all laws relating to travel, and your liability (not BA's) if you don't. I would expect any airline to have the same conditions in their CoC.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by airsurfer
Indeed, but they can rather store the devices box in a location in the cabin accessible by crew only rather than in the hold. A battery fire can then easier be extinguished.
Not sure that airliners have spare room for 100+ boxes of laptops and iPads in the cabin.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold

Interestingly: "* Bringing aboard cameras is not restricted for U.K. bound flights." So TK says you can take your camera with you, but BA is asking you to put camera into checked bag. Where's consistency?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.