Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Electronic Devices Ban on Direct Flights to UK from 6 ME and North African Countries

Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
See this UK government announcements
https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/additional-airline-security-measures-on-some-routes-travelling-to-the-uk
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/additional-hand-luggage-restrictions-on-some-flights-to-the-uk
https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/electronic-devices-and-electrical-items

Flights affected
This will apply to inbound flights (all operators) to the UK from the following locations:

Turkey
Lebanon
Egypt
Saudi Arabia
Jordan
Tunisia

Devices affected
Under the new arrangements, phones, laptops and tablets larger than:

length: 16.0 cm
width: 9.3 cm
depth: 1.5 cm

will not be allowed in the cabin on selected flights to the UK from the countries affected. Most smart phones fall within these limits and will continue to be allowed on board. However, devices larger than these dimensions may not be carried in the cabin and therefore much be placed in checked bags.

(By way of comparison, iPad Mini = 20.32 x 13.48 x 0.61cm. Amazon Kindle = 16.0 x 11.5 x 0.91 cm)
Print Wikipost

Electronic Devices Ban on Direct Flights to UK from 6 ME and North African Countries

Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:29 am
Original Poster

According to Sky News the ban on electronic devices in hand baggge from some countries will now affect flights to the UK too.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:35 am

I'll believe it when I see it.

I wouldn't give too much credence to a talking head on Sky News.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:35 am

These are the airlines affected by the US ban, is it the same for UK?

The nine airlines affected are:

Royal Jordanian
Egypt Air
Turkish Airlines
Saudi Arabian Airlines
Kuwait Airways
Royal Air Maroc
Qatar Airways
Emirates
Etihad Airways

US officials said the airlines had been given 96 hours, beginning at 07:00 GMT on Tuesday, to ban devices bigger than a mobile phone or smartphone from cabins. They said the ban had no end date.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: Some
Hopefully a false alarm - implementing a similar policy between LHR and DXB would *not* be an easy one to police given the number of passengers this would affect!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
<deleted>.

It would be odd if only the national airlines of those countires are affected rather than all flights departing from there though.

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 22, 2017 at 12:56 pm Reason: Going OMNI/PR
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Hopefully a false alarm - implementing a similar policy between LHR and DXB would *not* be an easy one to police given the number of passengers this would affect!
Hopefully. It is being repored on the Telegraph, Independent and Twitter too, although it's highly likely that they are all quoting from the same "source", quite possibly each other.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Not as many as the ban on liquids affected, and look how that has been policed. I suspect that secondary security at the gate for those flights affected will be the way it will be implimented.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:04 am

BBC reporting it too.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by BlueHorizonUK
BBC reporting it too.
The article says:

The attempted downing of an airliner in Somalia was linked to a laptop device and it appears the security precautions are an attempt to stop similar incidents, our correspondent added.
This was one year ago!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:25 am

Apart from the security risk of leaving laptops etc in baggage, I didn't think you were allowed to have lithium batteries in the hold due to the potential fire hazard...
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Guardian reports that formal announcement expected this afternoon.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:34 am
Community Director Emerita

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39343971

BBC home affairs correspondent Daniel Sandford said the UK move was "obviously part of coordinated action with the US".

The attempted downing of an airliner in Somalia last year was linked to a laptop device and it appears the security precautions are an attempt to stop similar incidents, our correspondent added.

Under the US move, large electronic devices will only be allowed on board in checked baggage. Phones are exempt from the new rules.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:40 am
Lux

Originally Posted by BApilotinsider

The nine airlines affected are:

Royal Jordanian
Egypt Air
Turkish Airlines
Saudi Arabian Airlines
Kuwait Airways
Royal Air Maroc
Qatar Airways
Emirates
Etihad Airways

US officials said the airlines had been given 96 hours, beginning at 07:00 GMT on Tuesday, to ban devices bigger than a mobile phone or smartphone from cabins. They said the ban had no end date.
I believe the ban is actually on airports rather than airlines; these are the airlines that currently have direct flights from those airports to the US.

Therefore a UK ban would affect all flights from those airports to the UK, including BA. A giant pain in the etc., but probably for good cause. Let's home it's not eternal.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
So who's going to reimburse passengers for all the stuff that gets broken or stolen out of their checked luggage?
Your insurance policy.

I suspect that these might have to alter.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
So who's going to reimburse passengers for all the stuff that gets broken or stolen out of their checked luggage?
The airline would pay out 1131SDR, if you can provide the receipt for what you've had lost/damaged.

Travel Insurance would supplement this further, however given the average UK policy caps this at Ł1500 (and I assume they would deduct the airline's payout), this doesn't provide much extra support for the average passenger. Plus as GentleGiant mentions, who's to say they won't quickly update their liabilities?!

It also doesn't help business travellers whose corporate policy states that laptops/removable media must not leave the travelers side (a "stolen from the car boot" exclusion).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.