Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Electronic Devices Ban on Direct Flights to UK from 6 ME and North African Countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
See this UK government announcements
https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/additional-airline-security-measures-on-some-routes-travelling-to-the-uk
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/additional-hand-luggage-restrictions-on-some-flights-to-the-uk
https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/electronic-devices-and-electrical-items

Flights affected
This will apply to inbound flights (all operators) to the UK from the following locations:

Turkey
Lebanon
Egypt
Saudi Arabia
Jordan
Tunisia

Devices affected
Under the new arrangements, phones, laptops and tablets larger than:

length: 16.0 cm
width: 9.3 cm
depth: 1.5 cm

will not be allowed in the cabin on selected flights to the UK from the countries affected. Most smart phones fall within these limits and will continue to be allowed on board. However, devices larger than these dimensions may not be carried in the cabin and therefore much be placed in checked bags.

(By way of comparison, iPad Mini = 20.32 x 13.48 x 0.61cm. Amazon Kindle = 16.0 x 11.5 x 0.91 cm)
Print Wikipost

Electronic Devices Ban on Direct Flights to UK from 6 ME and North African Countries

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by chollie
Why would they have the option of gate-checking? I'm assuming the prohibited items will be flagged at security before they ever get to the gate.
There are plenty of airports where you can buy a laptop in duty free. The only way to keep that out of the cabin would be a gate check.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I wondered about that - airside airport purchases. Clearly the sealed duty-free bags used for liquor wouldn't be the answer.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:17 am

I don't understand the question. Even people with carry on only and pre-printed boarding passes go through security with their carryons. There is also an x-ray of the luggage. I would imagine, that they will be extra careful in looking for "smuggled" electronics.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by awayIgo
I don't understand the question. Even people with carry on only and pre-printed boarding passes go through security with their carryons. There is also an x-ray of the luggage. I would imagine, that they will be extra careful in looking for "smuggled" electronics.
Most airports have centralised security so it would be difficult to screen UK/US bound pax separately from those heading elsewhere. It is only really possible with gate security.

Security in most of these airports is an utter joke so any additional screening would be a welcome addition so long as it is undertaken by properly trained staff.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Most airports have centralised security so it would be difficult to screen UK/US bound pax separately from those heading elsewhere. It is only really possible with gate security.

Security in most of these airports is an utter joke so any additional screening would be a welcome addition so long as it is undertaken by properly trained staff.
BA has secondary screening in the gate area by non airport employees at many airports worldwide. I imagine some of those in the ban already have this (CAI certainly used to) and the ones that don't will have it added.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
DfT says that the UK ban must be implemented by this Saturday (25th). Therefore, folks flying that day should expect to be asked to put those devices into checked luggage.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:52 am
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
DfT says that the UK ban must be implemented by this Saturday (25th). Therefore, folks flying that day should expect to be asked to put those devices into checked luggage.
Not sure if I missed something, but would one be entitled to a full refund on a ticket now. As a business traveler I can't check my laptop for security. So then I can't travel without it.

So could I get a full refund in this situation ?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, * Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold AMEX Plat'm, Marriott Titan'm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by awayIgo
I don't understand the question. Even people with carry on only and pre-printed boarding passes go through security
Yes but the person at the security scanner never asks where you're flying too, certainly not in Jeddah. So, how do they differentiate between a passenger travelling to London vs someone say travellng within the Kingdom or flying to say Dubai or points East. In other words how do they know who should and shouldn't be carrying a laptop/tablet?

As someone has said, there will now have to be a secondary search at the gate/airbridge which will take time, I presume.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by southsidesilver
Not sure if I missed something, but would one be entitled to a full refund on a ticket now. As a business traveler I can't check my laptop for security. So then I can't travel without it.

Why? Probably in the terms you have to abide by security arrangements in place at the time.

That is life.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, * Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold AMEX Plat'm, Marriott Titan'm, Hilton Diamond

And that's the nub of the question. I've managed to go through Jeddah with a bottle of water, not even concealed!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by southsidesilver

Never mind what an "unofficial" FT contributor opines. Best to check with the airline you will be flying with and ask the question....

Let us all know the result of that conversation won't you.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum

There is already separate gate security for US-bound flights from most countries except Canada, western Europe and Japan (countries that have brought their central airport security up to US standards). Once you pass through the USA-bound gate security you cannot leave the gate holding area. Even HKG which is a very modern airport has gate security for USA flights only.

Last time I was at DEL, the X-ray machine at the gate for EWR wasn't working so the flight had to be delayed 2 hours for a hand-search of all cabin bags.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by chollie
Why would they have the option of gate-checking? I'm assuming the prohibited items will be flagged at security before they ever get to the gate.
The scanner operators at airports with centralized security usually don't know where a particular carry on bag is going. The only way to catch accidental or intentional smuggling is to do it at the entrance of a secured gate area.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Even HKG which is a very modern airport has gate security for USA flights only.
While they do have different security procedures, it's just a manual search (or at least, that was my experience flying HKG-JFK and HKG-LAX in 2016).
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
The scanner operators at airports with centralized security usually don't know where a particular carry on bag is going. The only way to catch accidental or intentional smuggling is to do it at the entrance of a secured gate area.
What steps airlines will take in conjunction with airport authorities in order to enforce this ban remains to be seen. Easyjet is the first airline to have started enforcing the ban, so I hope that people's experiences will start to trickle through as days go on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.