Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Electronic Devices Ban on Direct Flights to UK from 6 ME and North African Countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
See this UK government announcements
https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/additional-airline-security-measures-on-some-routes-travelling-to-the-uk
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/additional-hand-luggage-restrictions-on-some-flights-to-the-uk
https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/electronic-devices-and-electrical-items

Flights affected
This will apply to inbound flights (all operators) to the UK from the following locations:

Turkey
Lebanon
Egypt
Saudi Arabia
Jordan
Tunisia

Devices affected
Under the new arrangements, phones, laptops and tablets larger than:

length: 16.0 cm
width: 9.3 cm
depth: 1.5 cm

will not be allowed in the cabin on selected flights to the UK from the countries affected. Most smart phones fall within these limits and will continue to be allowed on board. However, devices larger than these dimensions may not be carried in the cabin and therefore much be placed in checked bags.

(By way of comparison, iPad Mini = 20.32 x 13.48 x 0.61cm. Amazon Kindle = 16.0 x 11.5 x 0.91 cm)
Print Wikipost

Electronic Devices Ban on Direct Flights to UK from 6 ME and North African Countries

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Now confirmed.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Only six countries included in the UK ban according to BBC News.
Didn't catch them all, but UAE and Qatar are NOT included, so EK, EY, and QR are not affected.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by APPL
Only six countries included in the UK ban according to BBC News.
Didn't catch them all, but UAE and Qatar are NOT included, so EK, EY, and QR are not affected.
For now....

Good that they are not included would probably have meant a reduction on flights if people avoid UAE and Qatar.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Person sat behind me in the office it updating our airlines website now with the new info
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
https://www.gov.uk/government/speech...ling-to-the-uk

The UK restrictions apply to all inbound flights but only from

Turkey
Lebanon
Egypt
Saudi Arabia
Jordan
Tunisia

The UK restrictions therefore have no impact on flights operated by any carrier from any of the three ME3 hub countries to the UK. I have no idea whether there is an impact if one were to begin in one of the 6 countries and connect in, for example, Doha to a UK bound flight.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
For now....

Good that they are not included would probably have meant a reduction on flights if people avoid UAE and Qatar.
The US version was naming cities rather than countries, and Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Doha and Istanbul are all on that list...
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SteveF
Many (most?) UK travel insurance policies specifically excludes valuables, including cameras and computer equipment, placed in the hold.
Which is why they will need to be altered probably at a premium. Best to speak to your insurer if affected.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: M&M Senator, BAEC GGL, Delta Platinum
Which is why they will need to be altered probably at a premium. Best to speak to your insurer if affected.
Interesting part - IATA has no information yet. According to current safety rules, lithium batteries are not allowed in the hold - so are we now going to shut down our business - no we just connect via Frankfurt or Munich. Another reason to skip BA.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
What about Kindles and e-readers, do they count?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chrini1
Interesting part - IATA has no information yet. According to current safety rules, lithium batteries are not allowed in the hold - so are we now going to shut down our business - no we just connect via Frankfurt or Munich. Another reason to skip BA.
I don't think any such IATA rule on no Li batteries in checked bags exists. Certainly BA allow them up to 100Wh in checked bags as long as they are in the device. No spare Li batteries are allowed in checked bags on BA.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...d-restrictions
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, ex-EK IO, IC Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador, Amex Centurion
DXB-LHR-LAX

So what happens if I fly BA from DXB to LAX via LHR? Do I have to check in my laptop?

I hope not - I never check baggage
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:06 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Deltus
Probably.

The UK has announced a cabin baggage ban on laptops on direct passenger flights from Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, Tunisia and Saudi Arabia.
The restrictions, which also apply to tablets, DVD players and phones over a certain size, follow a similar US ban affecting eight countries.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GGL Flyer
So what happens if I fly BA from DXB to LAX via LHR? Do I have to check in my laptop?

I hope not - I never check baggage
Yes - you will according to a report I read earlier.

LHR would simply be the connecting point and it affects departure and connecting points for the USA. Unless you have an overnight then you might get away with it.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Deltus
All Kindles are wider than 10 cm, so they are banned under this directive.
Yes - you will according to a report I read earlier.

LHR would simply be the connecting point and it affects departure and connecting points for the USA. Unless you have an overnight then you might get away with it.
The US ban affecting DXB is for direct flights only. DXB-LHR-LAX is not a direct flight, so I do not think the ban applies.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by techie
All Kindles are wider than 10 cm, so they are banned under this directive.
Just read

The ban applies to any device, including mobiles and smart phones, larger than 16cm long, 9.3cm wide or 1.5cm deep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.