Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

New TSA security measures in the aftermath of the NW AMS/DTW flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New TSA security measures in the aftermath of the NW AMS/DTW flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2009, 1:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, DL SkyMiles, SWA RR; MR Platinum; National EC Executive
Originally Posted by makfan
Maybe, except here on the west coast, there is no Amtrak between the Bay Area and Los Angeles that doesn't involve a few hours on a thruway (i.e., bus). It takes forever to take the "train" out here, and I'd probably switch to driving, as much as I detest driving I-5.
You know, I can make it from Sacramento to the San Fernando valley in 4.5 hours on I-5, which is about the total time allotted just to fly out and get to my destination.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 1:18 pm

Location: Near Chicago and Under the MDW and ORD Flight Paths, IL, USA
Programs: UA recovering Premier
So let's see what sticks...

IIRC, when the Reid incident happened and the liquids bust took place in the UK, things got stupid crazy for a few weeks afterward. Then the extremes relaxed, but elements of the stupidity remained (shoe removal and liquid bans).

So what do we have today? No IFE on some flights, nothing in your lap / no standing / gate checks. This will be a disaster at airports with all the Kettles flying over the holidays, but the media will be filled with interviews with Kettles who say, "anything to prevent what happened in Detroit" -- "I feel a lot more secure". So this will embolden the Congresscritters to impose new rules and new funding for TSA to "prevent this from happening again".

I would suggest that the airlines are helpless here. The very last thing they need is for there to be another exodus of pax (particularly FFers) because of the new rules. UA, for example, is enhancing their IFE and the last thing they need is for that investment to go out the window, along with the ticket revenue. They also really don't want the added checked baggage load, regardless of revenue opportunity because that will be offset by labor expense and the costs of claims for lost / stolen items.

I predict that the madness will continue until the New Year, then the "new rules" will take effect. I think they will implement the old "30 minute rule" for remaining seated. The airlines will be forced to eliminate baggage fees on the first two checked bags and carry-ons will be limited to one strictly enforced standard size bag -- no separate purses or computer bags -- just one bag. You can stuff whatever you want (except liquids and gels) in that bag, but only one bag. Period. Ticket prices will uniformly increase by about $50 for "added security measures". I would also suspect that there will now be a total ban on liquids and gels at the checkpoints. If you have to carry that stuff, check it.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
If those rules are put into place, my days as an air traveler are over.

Experts recommend staying well hydrated while traveling (hell, even when not traveling), drinking at least 8 glasses of water per day. I'm not going to give up my health for air travel.

The airlines will be losing my revenue as an air traveler.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 1:32 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by squatch
i don't fly again till january 4. i hope this crap gets sorted out by then.

and the one carryon rule: 100% stupid. a rule that has nothing to do with anything.
Folks, follow the money.

This will result in an "emergency" appropriation of at least a billion dollars to the TSA to let it hire several thousand more otherwise unemployable people into federal jobs with full benefits. As soon as everyone accepts and embraces the fact that the TSA is a jobs program and northing more, all of this will make a LOT of sense. Just ask yourself: How can this administration further expand government with this incident and you'll arrive at the DHS playbook without delay.

The airlines are NOT going to complain becuase they are salivating over the checked baggage fees.

--PP
Old Dec 26, 2009, 1:35 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
Will the TSA be providing Depends diapers for passengers now?

And if you have to do #2? How can much crap can the diapers hold? And how will you deal with diaper rash as a frequent traveler?

Will the #1 new symbol of elite fliers be how much diaper rash powder they use on a daily basis?
1) I wholeheartedly ordain and support pi$$ing oneself toward th elast few minutes of the flight and letting the airlines deal with the mess. Th eairlines will not complain becuase they are going to be raking in the cash for checked bag fees.

2) You think you'll be able to have any kind of POWDER on your person? HAHAHAHA

--PP
Old Dec 26, 2009, 1:38 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by VideoPaul
Folks, follow the money.

This will result in an "emergency" appropriation of at least a billion dollars to the TSA to let it hire several thousand more otherwise unemployable people into federal jobs with full benefits. As soon as everyone accepts and embraces the fact that the TSA is a jobs program and northing more, all of this will make a LOT of sense. Just ask yourself: How can this administration further expand government with this incident and you'll arrive at the DHS playbook without delay.

The airlines are NOT going to complain becuase they are salivating over the checked baggage fees.

--PP
But the increased baggage fares will in no way make up for lost revenue on FF who purchase tickets at near full fare. You lose ten passengers who would have paid $1500 for a round trip ticket purchased on short notice while attempting to make $50 on 100 passengers for a piece of luggage and you wind up losing $10,000 on the trip. A day late an much more than a dollar short.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 1:39 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by p1cunnin
IIRC, when the Reid incident happened and the liquids bust took place in the UK, things got stupid crazy for a few weeks afterward. Then the extremes relaxed, but elements of the stupidity remained (shoe removal and liquid bans).

So what do we have today? No IFE on some flights, nothing in your lap / no standing / gate checks. This will be a disaster at airports with all the Kettles flying over the holidays, but the media will be filled with interviews with Kettles who say, "anything to prevent what happened in Detroit" -- "I feel a lot more secure". So this will embolden the Congresscritters to impose new rules and new funding for TSA to "prevent this from happening again".

I would suggest that the airlines are helpless here. The very last thing they need is for there to be another exodus of pax (particularly FFers) because of the new rules. UA, for example, is enhancing their IFE and the last thing they need is for that investment to go out the window, along with the ticket revenue. They also really don't want the added checked baggage load, regardless of revenue opportunity because that will be offset by labor expense and the costs of claims for lost / stolen items.

I predict that the madness will continue until the New Year, then the "new rules" will take effect. I think they will implement the old "30 minute rule" for remaining seated. The airlines will be forced to eliminate baggage fees on the first two checked bags and carry-ons will be limited to one strictly enforced standard size bag -- no separate purses or computer bags -- just one bag. You can stuff whatever you want (except liquids and gels) in that bag, but only one bag. Period. Ticket prices will uniformly increase by about $50 for "added security measures". I would also suspect that there will now be a total ban on liquids and gels at the checkpoints. If you have to carry that stuff, check it.
Of all the new measures the TSA is scrambling to implement, the only one that might have plausibly prevented this guy from doing what he did would have been a thorough pat-down search, which given his background, he should have been a good candidate for anyway.

So far I haven't heard any reports that he was aided by the use of IFE, or that he stood up to get a hold of any stowed items. The only thing he apparently had on his lap was a blanket. Assuming they ban blankets, perhaps the next guy will just wear a poncho.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by JDiver
But I do predict his effects on the average air passenger have the potential to be lasting, like Richard Reid's, as well.
What lasting effect do we have from Richard Reid? I cannot recall any. The shoe-removal was relaxed and only put back into effect after the liquid bomb threat, at which time shoe removal became permanently required when the liquid restrictions were introduced.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 1:47 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by squatch
i don't fly again till january 4. i hope this crap gets sorted out by then.

and the one carryon rule: 100% stupid. a rule that has nothing to do with anything.
It does have something to do with it, it means now the airlines will be able to charge for that carry on that must now go into the hold $$$$$$$$$, also the sitting in your seat one hour prior to landing, if this guy was sitting in his seat when he tried to do this, why now must one sit in his/her seat one hour prior to landing, what does this solve?

Last edited by sfo; Dec 26, 2009 at 1:49 pm Reason: more info
Old Dec 26, 2009, 1:48 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by p1cunnin

I would suggest that the airlines are helpless here.
I disagree.

The airlines should be shaking Congress by the throat and howling for the TSA's hide.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
why i do see this as an overreaction by the tsa part of it makes sense to me. the failure here occured outside the us. thus tsa is saying for the next few days (30 dec 2009) they arent going to trust the frontline foreign security. that part makes sense. the no potty rule no personal item rule as presented doesnt make sense. simply put nothing short of placing the ban on the entire flight would eliminate the "risk".

i am left with the question what about lap children? are they now banned.

realistically i expect a gradual reduction in these rules over the next couple of months. in the end the only thing i can see remaining is the patdowns. (giving the option to the airport to do it at the gate or the first point) i think the carryon restriction might last but unlikely. even the 1 bag limit went awaty (eventually) in the UK.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:20 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Spiff
ETD/ETP would have caught him. Too bad the TSA is too stupid to use it or ETP.

I hope the USA experiences a severe and expensive backlash over this new idiocy.
Remember this is now Obama's TSA.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
Remember this is now Obama's TSA.
What a shock, the change the messiah promised has not materialized!!!
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:24 pm

Programs: United premier
Since it's already happened, they should know better

Originally Posted by richard
anyone can be caught in this. Because of turbulence they can have the seat belts sign on for long periods and the last hour may be the first time you can access the lavs.
But I've personally watched exceptions being made when the passenger claims a medical reason. I've seen crew let a economy passenger use the front lav, because of a line or because a cart made going back impossible.

If, however, crew and passengers are told that it's all for security, with not even a hint of medical necessity mentioned, then the person who must go will be tackled-in-fear before being arrested, because everyone is supposed to use fear as their guide. Reason as a guide would allow exceptions.

My point is that there weren't medical exceptions to the liquids requirements right away, either. As I recall, right at the beginning, it was no liquids of any kind on the plane, no exceptions, and the medical/kid/3.4 oz. in zip-lock bag/you can buy coffee in the terminal exceptions were introduced later, after people calmed down and it became clear how unworkable the draconian rules were.
Right--they've already been through this before, they should know better. They saw what happened when diabetics couldn't bring their glucose paste, breastfeeding mothers had to throw milk away, cancer patients had their skin medicines confiscated, and babies and toddlers couldn't clear their ears during descent with bottled milk.

There are medicines which must be taken with plenty of water, and there are people who cannot dry-swallow pills at all.

All that well-tested knowledge and hard-gained experience is being thrown away in these new rules, and that's just wrong.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UMassCanuck07
He shall now be dubbed the "Underwear Bomber"

From ABC News:

"The device intended to blow up the Northwest flight was made at the location in Yemen, according to Abdulmutallab, and consisted of a six-inch packet of powder and a syringe with a liquid. Both were sewn into the student's underwear so they would be near his testicles and unlikely to be detected, he told agents."

So after the "Shoe Bomber" we now have to take off shoes... how long until we have to take off underwear and be strip searched by the TSA goons?
HA! For how long have I been saying that all one has to do is hide stuff in one's crotch and it won't be detected by WBI or anything else. Actually, he should have thought to wear an adult diaper - more room to hide things in one of those.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.