Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

New TSA security measures in the aftermath of the NW AMS/DTW flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New TSA security measures in the aftermath of the NW AMS/DTW flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:35 am

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
Picked this phamplet up in HKG tonight-TV crew was there filming. I may be on the local news

Dear Passengers
As advised by the US Department of Homeland Security, passengers bound for the US will be subjected to additional security(joke) measures. These include pat down check by security personnel and physical inspection of their cabin baggage and pesonal property prior to boarding;and restricting the use of cabin phones at any time during the flight.

Passengers will be required to cooperate with cabin crew on ANY inflight security measure as instructed.

We than you for your cooperation and will do our best to minimize any inconvenience.

26 December 2009

end quote

Man oh man, I can just hear the lies that are gonna be told by flight crews in the name of security.

Also are SOs and Kids considered cabin baggage?

Maybe I should just stay over here, hmmmmm
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:36 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
So the last article I read said he detonated the device in his crotch........doesnt that mess up the whole 70 virgins plan *smile*
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:45 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
From aa.com:

New International Security Measures
Effective immediately the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has issued new security measures for all flights departing from any foreign location to the United States. The measures include 100% screening of all passengers at the boarding gate during the boarding process. All carry-on articles are being physically screened at boarding time as well. This is in addition to the normal screening that all passengers go through to enter secured areas. Please allow extra time for screening and boarding.

Stupid idiots!
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
I cannot find anything on TSA's website on this new policy. For CATSA, they link the TSA website and newspaper articles report TSA as the advisor to this new policy, but nothing on TSA.

Last update I can see is Blogger Bob's ode to 'Twas the night before XMas and a two- paragraph summary of yesterday's flight.

You would figure it would be in bold letters on their webpage.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by windwalker
Man oh man, I can just hear the lies that are gonna be told by flight crews in the name of security.

Also are SOs and Kids considered cabin baggage?

Maybe I should just stay over here, hmmmmm
You mean lies like this?

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=9426359

Some airlines are telling passengers that new security regulations prohibit them from leaving their seats beginning an hour before landing.

Air Canada said in a statement Saturday that new rules imposed by the Transportation Security Administration limit on-board activities by passengers and crew in U.S. airspace.

The airline said that during the final hour of flight passengers must remain seated. They won't be allowed access to carry-on baggage or to have any items on their laps.

Flight attendants on some domestic flights are informing passengers of similar rules.
This Chicken Little crap has got to stop!
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:53 am

Programs: AS, FB, MB, MR, HH
Originally Posted by Olton Hall
Besides, they must have their layers. I know, they can start doing bag searches mid flight too. That's a layer they haven't added yet.
Well they could also require you to travel with a TSO 'minder' for the entire duration of your flight, just to make sure you don't get up to anything naughty
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by majik
Well they could also require you to travel with a TSO 'minder' for the entire duration of your flight, just to make sure you don't get up to anything naughty
What if the minder is cute, can I do something naughty then?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:57 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
The actual rules, which are being announced now, sound just like the speculation earlier today. No leaving seats for last hour, no access to carryon, no personal items in lap (does that mean no reading material)?, hand search at gates.

Also, some "terrorism expert" on Fox says TSA is handling world wide.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:58 am

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
I would suggest everyone start writing their Congresspersons and Representatives immediately to express their displeasure with these new rules.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by BamaGirl
I would suggest everyone start writing their Congresspersons and Representatives immediately to express their displeasure with these new rules.
Yeah, you can write the letter to your congress immediately.

Originally Posted by Spiff
From aa.com:

New International Security Measures
Effective immediately the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has issued new security measures for all flights departing from any foreign location to the United States. The measures include 100% screening of all passengers at the boarding gate during the boarding process. All carry-on articles are being physically screened at boarding time as well. This is in addition to the normal screening that all passengers go through to enter secured areas. Please allow extra time for screening and boarding.

Stupid idiots!
Real stupid rules!!!! Screw to TSA!!! TSA is un-American to be disgusting and it will eventually to destroyed immediately. Its time to get rid of TSA out of US Airports.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
How did this guy have a valid US visa and be on a terrorism watch list?!

Sounds like we have too many agency's that are not talking to each other again.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Comments in a NY Times column

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/200...l-experiences/

are totally blasting the TSA and others for the new "security" measures.

Every time something like this happens, more and more people wake up to the fact that the TSA is worthless.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:16 pm

Hi guys,

I'm travelling on Air Canada from Heathrow to Toronto, then onto Rhode Island tomorrow morning - I tried checking in online but it says I can't. Have they taken down this option because of what happened today?

Also, I'm putting my camera bag in my hand luggage (a messenger bag) does this still count as 1 or 2 carry on bags?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tev9999
I believe that the rational, 100% secure response is to immediately begin deploying BDOs overseas. They would have caught this guy, no question.
Don't you realize that "BDOs" is a description for the "security" contractors used to screen the very DL flight departing AMS which sparked these "new security measures"?

They failed to stop him from boarding the flight.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Yep, exactly. That's just one more example of what happens when one applies MacDonald's logic to security.

Originally Posted by goalie
so i just save the hotel bottle, rinse it out when i get home and then put in it the very same hair gel or fluoride dental rinse that i put in my own generic 3.0 ounce clear plastic bottle. makes perfect tsa sense to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.