Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

New TSA security measures in the aftermath of the NW AMS/DTW flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New TSA security measures in the aftermath of the NW AMS/DTW flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Wouldn't it make sense simply to scan passports for all pax on international flights and impose current "normal" security measures on pax arriving from nations known to be lax in their security procedures? Or actually implement profiling, un-PC as it may be? Certain countries are already labelled, this would only be an extension to individuals.

I know, I know, "sense" has nothing to do with it.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
American Airlines on aa.com says:

(sic)
    Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:23 pm
    Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
    Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
    Originally Posted by Fornebufox
    Wouldn't it make sense simply to scan passports for all pax on international flights and impose current "normal" security measures on pax arriving from nations known to be lax in their security procedures? Or actually implement profiling, un-PC as it may be? Certain countries are already labelled, this would only be an extension to individuals.

I know, I know, "sense" has nothing to do with it.
    Racist profiling was already in play as part of screening on this DTW-AMS flight and it still failed to prevent this Nigerian passenger from boarding the flight and doing whatever he did.
    Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:25 pm

Well, if the TSA and airline want to keep me in my seat, arms folded, staring straight ahead for the last hour of flight that's fine. I can't stop biology. I hope you made those seats easy to clean, moron. Cuz I'll leave you a nice puddle. "Cleanup on isle 6!"

Oh, and maybe on the way out of the cabin I'll let the FA know that I have some disease which I don't wish to disclose but means that they should probably have a HAZMAT team take care of that....
    Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:27 pm

Curiously, there is nothing on the TSA website about any new security measures. The only information is coming from airlines. (But the TSA website has a very nice header asking us to learn more about apostrophes, hyphens and long names, which leads to a text which says nothing about apostrophes, hyphens OR long names. Nice work.)

As far as I can tell, the ban on peeing for the last hour is only for international inbound flights (exactly those long ones in which you need to get up to pee). Terrorists that require leaving their seats (not the current guy), please remember to do your stuff at 90 min before landing, or on domestic flights.

As far as I can tell, the ban on getting to your carry on is also only for international flights. Very effective. And I really want to see the airplane staff keeping all passengers from reaching for their sweaters under the seat, or entertaining them in a book, inflight entertainment and ipod-free environment.

Also, what is the purpose of the one carry on limit? The guy strapped stuff to his legs and now we get one carry on? Why limit the number, and not the size?? Also, apparently, only valid for oversees flights, why??

Why am I asking??
    Suspended

I cannot wait to see what happens when a baby has a bowel motion in-flight that requires urgent attention if the seats and cabin are not going to be subject to being messed up by that natural biological process.

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
    Originally Posted by GUWonder
    Racist profiling was already in play as part of screening on this DTW-AMS flight and it still failed to prevent this Nigerian passenger from boarding the flight and doing whatever he did.
    It's not targetting the individual but rather the airport from which s/he embarks, as certain airports/countries are known not to enforce rigorous security practices.

(Not that the zealous TSOs in most places would likely have caught this guy )
    Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:28 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
    Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
    This is starting to get f------ retarded. Will I be allowed to read a book? Or is a book a "flammable object" and therefore prohibited?

Amtrak is starting to look mighty attractive for domestic travel.
    Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:29 pm
    Suspended

Originally Posted by Fornebufox
    It's not targetting the individual but rather the airport from which s/he embarks, as certain airports/countries are known not to enforce rigorous security practices.

(Not that the zealous TSOs in most places would likely have caught this guy )
    Is AMS any worse than US airports? Not really. AMS is about the same and even has more "security" "layers" applicable for US-bound flights operated by this US carrier than is the norm for most US flights flying within or from the US.
    Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
    Curiously, there is nothing on the TSA website about any new security measures. The only information is coming from airlines. (But the TSA website has a very nice header asking us to learn more about apostrophes, hyphens and long names, which leads to a text which says nothing about apostrophes, hyphens OR long names. Nice work.)

As far as I can tell, the ban on peeing for the last hour is only for international inbound flights (exactly those long ones in which you need to get up to pee). Terrorists that require leaving their seats (not the current guy), please remember to do your stuff at 90 min before landing, or on domestic flights.

As far as I can tell, the ban on getting to your carry on is also only for international flights. Very effective. And I really want to see the airplane staff keeping all passengers from reaching for their sweaters under the seat, or entertaining them in a book, inflight entertainment and ipod-free environment.

Also, what is the purpose of the one carry on limit? The guy strapped stuff to his legs and now we get one carry on? Why limit the number, and not the size?? Also, apparently, only valid for oversees flights, why??

Why am I asking??
    Nappy has spoken.
    http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/...statement.shtm
    DHS Secretary Napolitano Statement on Northwest Flight 253

December 26, 2009
    1:00 p.m. EST

"I am grateful to the passengers and crew aboard Northwest Flight 253 who reacted quickly and heroically to an incident that could have had tragic results. The Department of Homeland Security immediately put additional screening measures into place- for all domestic and international flights- to ensure the continued safety of the traveling public. We are also working closely with federal, state and local law enforcement on additional security measures, as well as our international partners on enhanced security at airports and on flights.

The American people should continue their planned holiday travel and, as always, be observant and aware of their surroundings and report any suspicious behavior or activity to law enforcement officials.

Passengers flying from international locations to U.S. destinations may notice additional security measures in place. These measures are designed to be unpredictable, so passengers should not expect to see the same thing everywhere. Due to the busy holiday travel season, both domestic and international travelers should allot extra time for check-in."
    Damn the TSA can't get any love from the DHS. Gale are you still out there?
    Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:32 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
    Originally Posted by GUWonder
    Don't you realize that "BDOs" is a description for the "security" contractors used to screen the very DL flight departing AMS which sparked these "new security measures"?

They failed to stop him from boarding the flight.
    Yes, it was not their own fault at security in AMS. They didn't have attempting him to get inside the aircraft at all. It must to have more common from AMS security is not doing good on their jobs at all.
    Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:34 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
    Originally Posted by JDiver
    DFW TSA is reported (got a PM from a friend) to be confiscating legal size but generic containers of liquids and gels today. If you have a hotel or brand bottle of shampoo under 3 oz, it seems to be allowed; your own in an REI plastic bottle, for example, into the trash it goes.

This is, among other things, slowing down security procedures.
    Jeezus fracking christ, how appropriate of a senseless, dumb over-reaction.

I'm simply dumbfounded. What kind of fools are in charge of air security?

I'm sick to my stomach. Disgusting.
    Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:35 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
    Originally Posted by notsosmart
    This is starting to get f------ retarded. Will I be allowed to read a book? Or is a book a "flammable object" and therefore prohibited?

Amtrak is starting to look mighty attractive for domestic travel.
    I think walking is much more attractive. You get to exercise, lose weight, and have more freedom than flying.

Holy fracking crap, I can't believe this.
    Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
    Originally Posted by BubbaLoop

Why am I asking??
    As far as I can tell, the limit is because of a hand search of every bag at the boarding gate on inbound intl flights. The limit would likely be to make the amount of searching manageable.

I just left LHR on the 24th and avoided this. We'll see if my domestic segment tonight has any changes. It's only about a 60 minute flight wheels up to wheels down, so perhaps I'll have to sit in my seat, not reading or doing anything useful, for the entire flight.
    Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:38 pm

Programs: United premier
    No medical exceptions mentioned that I can see

The first sets of rules don't appear to have medical exceptions listed. Yikes!

I think it's vital to at least mention the possibility of medical conditions so that crew and passengers know that they can use their reason, not fear, to test their assumptions*.

To do otherwise could foster an environment of freak-and-tackle first, ask questions later.

Having had both an ex and a family member with diabetes, I worry that the carefully surreptitious methods used to give an injection will be treated as suspicious and illegal. Will a person have to declare their disease to all nearby people and then be very visible in testing and injecting insulin? You cannot pre-define when a person will need to test and/or take insulin.

Having just flown two days ago, I watched children clutching their teddybears and being read to during the descent. I also watched babies drinking from bottles. If crew and passengers are told to treat normal and safe behavior as potentially suspicious--and not given any room to think about exceptions-- then there'll be a plane of freaked out kids and adults.

* Remember the incident a few years back where a plane was followed by an F16 simply because a family was chatting in non-English and pointing at tourist spots out the window, and this freaked out a passenger who couldn't be bothered to talk with the family first? The family included an Indian movie-star actress who could have answered any questions. Instead the fearful and cowardly passenger put the whole plane under danger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.