Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

New TSA security measures in the aftermath of the NW AMS/DTW flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New TSA security measures in the aftermath of the NW AMS/DTW flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: confidential
Are you carrying any weapons of mass destruction? This was the exact same question i was asked in Florida 1 hour ago.

This morning in DFW, a woman who conincidentally goes by the name of helen decides that i am her servant and deserves to be shouted and be humiliated and then she memorised my credit card numbers and took a peek at my cards in my wallets. Even though the banks have been notified, the police refused to take a police report. The supervisor when informed says helen was following procedure.

So i guess its ok to steal passenger's money in the name of " because i say so." I think criminals who want to get extra cash don't need to break into stores. They may just sign up to be a TSA agent because DFW airport TSA supervisor told me its ok if you memorise passenger's details and financial information and steal passenger's money in the name of security.

i am not advocating any criminal conduct, just stating what DFW TSA told me.

Oh, the bank just called to say there was an authorisation coming from dallas.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
This is so ridiculous. Now we'll have the overzealous TSA screeners thinking anyone with an insulin syringe and a packet of sweet-n-low is a terrorist. The being seated rule addresses absolutely nothing. How does staying in one's seat prohibit anyone from doing anything? As someone noted, they can merely move up their timetable by 5 minutes and they're in business.

There was a report of a UA plane that disabled the entire IFE system on the plane because of a fear that passengers would know their exact location. Absolute madness. Another typical knee-jerk overreaction in the name of keeping the peace.

I can't wait for all the interviews on CNN and FOX of the people that have flown less than 10,000 miles in their entire life that deem the measures wonderful and how they feel so much better that their government is stepping in to take care of them. Stupid, stupid stuff.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Looks like my trip to Germany may be flushed now. Not because of the terrorist incident but because of the stupidity of DHS's and TSA's overreactions.

Nappy's knew jerked horrifically. Likely going to take a lot to get me on a plane this year if this stupidity continues. Shame, as I worked really hard to get to 1K this year.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:40 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
Remember this is now Obama's TSA.
Who cares?

The TSA should be destroyed.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Unfortunately, Amtrak wont work for my upcoming trip to SAN. Now I have to decide whether to cancel it or not. I hate to let one of the groups I am supposed to be speaking for down. The other one I could stand up in a heartbeat.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:42 pm

Programs: AS
The goal of terrorism is to disrupt a way of life, cause fear and and economic impact. Let's think here... guy fails at doing any real damage to the plane but ends up severely impacting us because of our own efforts.

Hopefully these don't last long.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Ted S
The goal of terrorism is to disrupt a way of life, cause fear and and economic impact. Let's think here... guy fails at doing any real damage to the plane but ends up severely impacting us because of our own efforts.

Hopefully these don't last long.
You are absolutely correct. The TSA is turning this into a huge win for the terrorists.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by ONLY_no_One
Are you carrying any weapons of mass destruction? This was the exact same question i was asked in Florida 1 hour ago.

This morning in DFW, a woman who conincidentally goes by the name of helen decides that i am her servant and deserves to be shouted and be humiliated and then she memorised my credit card numbers and took a peek at my cards in my wallets. Even though the banks have been notified, the police refused to take a police report. The supervisor when informed says helen was following procedure.

So i guess its ok to steal passenger's money in the name of " because i say so." I think criminals who want to get extra cash don't need to break into stores. They may just sign up to be a TSA agent because DFW airport TSA supervisor told me its ok if you memorise passenger's details and financial information and steal passenger's money in the name of security.

i am not advocating any criminal conduct, just stating what DFW TSA told me.

Oh, the bank just called to say there was an authorisation coming from dallas.
How did the TSA get a hold of your CCs?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by UnitedF1RST
I can't wait for all the interviews on CNN and FOX of the people that have flown less than 10,000 miles in their entire life
No need to wait for ignorant commentary what with the steady stream already supplying from CNN's own anchors and expert consultants.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:48 pm

Programs: AS, FB, MB, MR, HH
Originally Posted by UnitedF1RST
There was a report of a UA plane that disabled the entire IFE system on the plane because of a fear that passengers would know their exact location. Absolute madness. Another typical knee-jerk overreaction in the name of keeping the peace.
I have always wondered what professional pilots make of such nonsense, somehow I feel a lot of facepalming goes on in the cockpit. I also feel a lot of this stuff is made up by overzealous FAs as well.

I mean for crisssakes you just need to look out the bleedin window to gauge general landmarks, factor in average cruising speed of most commercial jets and use your wrist watch to time it all and you'll probably figure out your location +/- 50 miles.

-----in hell they really think we are that ----in stupid.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
There are reports on the UA board that they've totally shut of their IFE system. Speculation is that its tied into the Flight Track system, and the only/easiest/quickest way to disable it was to turn the whole thing off.

There are also reports of similar actions from other airlines.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by milepig
There are also reports of similar actions from other airlines.
*censored* a duck.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:54 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by majik
I have always wondered what professional pilots make of such nonsense, somehow I feel a lot of facepalming goes on in the cockpit. I also feel a lot of this stuff is made up by overzealous FAs as well.

I mean for crisssakes you just need to look out the bleedin window to gauge general landmarks, factor in average cruising speed of most commercial jets and use your wrist watch to time it all and you'll probably figure out your location +/- 50 miles.

-----in hell they really think we are that ----in stupid.
You'd think a terrorist with a halfway thought out plan wouldn't rely on pilots pointing out landmarks or IFE GPS functions in order to get their job done. I guess we'll just have to paint over all the windows.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:55 pm

Programs: Vanishing
Originally Posted by makfan
Maybe, except here on the west coast, there is no Amtrak between the Bay Area and Los Angeles that doesn't involve a few hours on a thruway (i.e., bus).
Not true. There is the Coast Starlight from Oakland to Los Angeles. Runs daily, but takes all day (9AM to 9PM) so it may not be a realistic alternative.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by L-1011
Not true. There is the Coast Starlight from Oakland to Los Angeles. Runs daily, but takes all day (9AM to 9PM) so it may not be a realistic alternative.
Yeah, when it's on time. I think the average delay is ~6 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.