Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

New TSA security measures in the aftermath of the NW AMS/DTW flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New TSA security measures in the aftermath of the NW AMS/DTW flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:22 am

Programs: Alaska MVP
Brand New on Alaska Airlines Home Page

Travel Advisory
New International Security Directive
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has issued a new security directive affecting flights departing International locations arriving in the United States. For Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air passengers this affects flight coming from Canada and Mexico into the United States.

Passengers traveling from Canada and Mexico should arrive at the airport an additional 2 hours before departure in order to help with the additional security measures. Passengers should also expect the following:

All passengers flying into the United States will be searched at the departure gate, in addition to normal screening at security checkpoints.
Carry-on luggage will also be searched at the departure gate. To minimize boarding delays, passengers are encouraged to check all their luggage. Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air will waive bag fees for passengers flying into the United States through December 30, 2010.
Added security measures while on the international flights are also being put into effect.
As always, we advise you to check your flight status before departure. Sign up for Trip Alerts or Flight Status Alerts and we'll notify you of any last minute delays, cancellations, or gate changes on your flights by email or text message.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:30 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi,

Originally Posted by JDiver
Some sources report Abdul was on a watch list - whoops, looks like maybe that was the first screwup, as well as AMS security not managing to find the packet of powder taped to Abdul's leg, nor the liquid he added to it, nor the syringe he may have used to add it. (But, human behavioral screening a la El Al is considered to be too expensive; maybe they will just have us all fly naked in flex cuffs - that will give an entirely new flavor to security and gate screening, and is somewhat more restrictive, but it may be faster and hey, it's for security, right? )
- Apparently, he was on a watch'list, but not a no-fly list.

- I guess the naked scanners may be coming back with a twist ... would they have caught this packet of powder on his leg? All security agencies in the world are sure to say so.

- The only way to avoid this would indeed be frisking everybody ... just add another hour of security screening to get to your flight.

Yes, indeed, it's one whack job who will cause all of us travelers a bunch of extra inconvenience. Another success in the loony column.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:32 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
ETD/ETP would have caught him. Too bad the TSA is too stupid to use it or ETP.

I hope the USA experiences a severe and expensive backlash over this new idiocy.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage, mainly
I'd be willing to drop trou in front of a female TSA doofus if asked. Of course, I reserve the right to then turn 180 degrees and bend over.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:39 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by JDiver
DFW TSA is reported (got a PM from a friend) to be confiscating legal size but generic containers of liquids and gels today. If you have a hotel or brand bottle of shampoo under 3 oz, it seems to be allowed; your own in an REI plastic bottle, for example, into the trash it goes.......
so i just save the hotel bottle, rinse it out when i get home and then put in it the very same hair gel or fluoride dental rinse that i put in my own generic 3.0 ounce clear plastic bottle. makes perfect tsa sense to me.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:39 am
Suspended

Quote Of The Day

I used to like operating into the U.S.A and used to enjoy going there on holiday. Then 6 years ago on my last flight there as a captain I was fingerprinted and photographed. I vowed never to return to a country that didn't welcome me in.

After 6 years the memory has faded a little and I've been missing the place a bit and thinking that maybe I could put up with the bit at the end when they treat me like a criminal.

If it's true that for the last hour of the flight I would have to remain seated, cannot access my personal belongings etc then I guess it will be a while before I get to the States. I'll just keep heading East where I'm made to feel welcome and they smile at me when I come to spend my money.

Does it not occur to governments that when they overreact to events like this they do immense harm to their economy by diverting tourist dollars to more welcoming destinations.
Word.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
You got it!

Originally Posted by goalie
so i just save the hotel bottle, rinse it out when i get home and then put in it the very same hair gel or fluoride dental rinse that i put in my own generic 3.0 ounce clear plastic bottle. makes perfect tsa sense to me.
This stuff is going to be coming at all from all directions for a good long while.

Many people are going to choose to drive rather than fly and risk getting killed on the highways! Airlines will loose revenue.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SEAFFLYER
Travel Advisory
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has issued a new security directive affecting flights departing International locations arriving in the United States. For Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air passengers this affects flight coming from Canada and Mexico into the United States.

Passengers traveling from Canada and Mexico should arrive at the airport an additional 2 hours before departure in order to help with the additional security measures. Passengers should also expect the following:

All passengers flying into the United States will be searched at the departure gate, in addition to normal screening at security checkpoints.
Carry-on luggage will also be searched at the departure gate. To minimize boarding delays, passengers are encouraged to check all their luggage. Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air will waive bag fees for passengers flying into the United States through December 30, 2010.
Added security measures while on the international flights are also being put into effect.
As always, we advise you to check your flight status before departure. Sign up for Trip Alerts or Flight Status Alerts and we'll notify you of any last minute delays, cancellations, or gate changes on your flights by email or text message.
That doesn't bode well. I would expect to see a somewhat significant drop in air travel is these new "security" measures continue for any length of time.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
Many people are going to choose to drive rather than fly and risk getting killed on the highways!
Security theater kills.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by richarddd
A single terrorist can make life worse for millions of people.

This guy and the shoe bomber have succeeded beyond their wildest imaginations.
Yup, and the TSA are the instrument of their victory over us.

When are the sheeple going to finally wake up and call BS on all this ? I'm not optimistic....
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
The terrorists have watched the reaction of the USG and they know that a simple, non-fatal incident like Reid or this guy are enough to cause millions of passengers to be disrupted and hundreds of millions of dollars of damage to the US airlines and economy.

Not a single death, only one low-level operative arrested, and a huge reaction.

Very, very high ROI..... and this kind of stuff will continue until the US gets serious about managing risk as opposed to the knee-jerk attempts at risk elimination.
Yep. The US Government through the TSA are doing the work for the terrorist to further one of their main objectives, ruin the economy. The TSA may not see themselves as an agent working on behalf of the terrorist but I’m sure the baddies know based on our past reactions that they only have to do things like this so that our government unwittingly help further the baddies cause of bringing down the economy. I’m sure they laugh at us every time watching us do these knee jerk reactions.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Spiff
ETD/ETP would have caught him. Too bad the TSA is too stupid to use it or ETP.

I hope the USA experiences a severe and expensive backlash over this new idiocy.
Yeah, Do you really think TSA is un-American actions will be disgusting destroying immediately. I didn't appreciate it for TSA are stupid new policy and they are all retarded. Anyways, I am still in Switzerland and will be back home on Tuesday December 29. Do I need additional screening at the gate or not?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:23 am

Programs: AS, FB, MB, MR, HH
Originally Posted by SEAFFLYER
Travel Advisory

So basically the TSA are admitting that all measures up until now are useless, the X-rays, the baggies, the full body scan, all useless. Why not just do away with all of these and only have bag searches at the gate, makes perfect sense to me.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by majik
So basically the TSA are admitting that all measures up until now are useless, the X-rays, the baggies, the full body scan, all useless. Why not just do away with all of these and only have bag searches at the gate, makes perfect sense to me.
Anything with "perfect sense" and TSA is a bit laughable.

Besides, they must have their layers. I know, they can start doing bag searches mid flight too. That's a layer they haven't added yet.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:29 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by majik
Like the ID checks. Why bother with RealID and ID checks when you won't put the bad guys on the list.

Oh, wait, it's about consolidating power over the people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.