Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

Golden Circle--Shangri-la Hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Golden Circle--Shangri-la Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
I need some advice from 747LWW or any other Shangri-La experts! I was on-oace to hit 20 nights this year and get "executive" level status. However, I recently learned that they will not give me any credit for a 6 night stay at the Cairns property. Although I was paying AU$350/night for a suite, they say it was on a corporate rate (I was at a conference and booked as part of the regisration) and it therefore doesn't count. I need some of those nights to hit my 20, but I am at a loss. Is there anything I can do or anyone to whom I can appeal? What are my chances of getting credit for the stay?

Thanks in advance for any counsel anyone can offer!

Cheers,

Muckus
Old Oct 4, 2006, 12:16 am

Programs: QF, Golden Circle, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Muckus
I need some advice from 747LWW or any other Shangri-La experts! I was on-oace to hit 20 nights this year and get "executive" level status. However, I recently learned that they will not give me any credit for a 6 night stay at the Cairns property. Although I was paying AU$350/night for a suite, they say it was on a corporate rate (I was at a conference and booked as part of the regisration) and it therefore doesn't count. I need some of those nights to hit my 20, but I am at a loss. Is there anything I can do or anyone to whom I can appeal? What are my chances of getting credit for the stay?Muckus
Hi Muckus, I guess the first avenue is to to send an email to the GC program (from the website) and see what response you get.

It's via one of those horrible feedback forms with no formatting so the temptation is to be very abbreviated, however they are answered (I'm guessing) in HK by staff who (understandably) don't have a lot of experience with colloquial Australian-English so set it out gently, politely, and carefully, step by step.

If I were you I would say (and I've never been to Cairns so I don't know if it's true) that you stayed there specifically to meet the 20 night target and that if you'd known it was ineligible you would have gone somewhere else. I would also point out that the rooms are on wotif at between $170 and $250 (not sure what room type is what), and that even their own web site has executive suites at $347 per night (checking availability at 31 October) - so $350 is no discount at all - unless it was a better room

How many nights do you have, with which properties? Might you have a lot of future travel with them?

Hotels typically pay around 10% commission to conference organisers, so you can understand that they would prefer to take a trim on commission and loyalty program.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
Originally Posted by FortuneofWar
Hi Muckus, I guess the first avenue is to to send an email to the GC program (from the website) and see what response you get.

It's via one of those horrible feedback forms with no formatting so the temptation is to be very abbreviated, however they are answered (I'm guessing) in HK by staff who (understandably) don't have a lot of experience with colloquial Australian-English so set it out gently, politely, and carefully, step by step.

If I were you I would say (and I've never been to Cairns so I don't know if it's true) that you stayed there specifically to meet the 20 night target and that if you'd known it was ineligible you would have gone somewhere else. I would also point out that the rooms are on wotif at between $170 and $250 (not sure what room type is what), and that even their own web site has executive suites at $347 per night (checking availability at 31 October) - so $350 is no discount at all - unless it was a better room

How many nights do you have, with which properties? Might you have a lot of future travel with them?

Hotels typically pay around 10% commission to conference organisers, so you can understand that they would prefer to take a trim on commission and loyalty program.

Thanks, FortuneofWar. I did as you suggested and they are going to credit me for the stay! Looks like I will make executive status this year, and I am grateful for your sage counsel! Cheers, Muckus.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 9:41 pm

Thanks, FortuneofWar. I did as you suggested and they are going to credit me for the stay! Looks like I will make executive status this year, and I am grateful for your sage counsel! Cheers, Muckus.
Thanks for the feedback, and well done. Previous involvement with a loyalty program has me convinced that we underestimate the value of a simple explanation of what has "gone wrong" and why it is unfair, and the value of courtesy & respect to the people whom we hope will help us.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 8:55 am

Just to close the loop on the Golden Circle credits I mentioned in my recent post, I found the staff member with whom I communicated to be very responsive and open to the explaination I offered as to why I thought I should be credited for the stay in question. I am new to the Shangri-La chain, but I have spent one week each at two properties and I am slated to stay at three more of their hotels in the next month. They have an outstanding product and I definitely recommend the Shangri-La. It will be even better when their U.S. and London properties come on line and I don't have to fly the Pacific to stay with them!
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Just to close the loop on the Golden Circle credits I mentioned in my recent post, I found the staff member with whom I communicated to be very responsive and open to the explaination I offered as to why I thought I should be credited for the stay in question. I am new to the Shangri-La chain, but I have spent one week each at two properties and I am slated to stay at three more of their hotels in the next month. They have an outstanding product and I definitely recommend the Shangri-La. It will be even better when their U.S. and London properties come on line and I don't have to fly the Pacific to stay with them!
Delighted you took the time to advise us in detail about the service you received through the Golden Circle. I too have always found their CS folks friendly and prompt in responding to questions. By the way, any chance for a FT mini-do in Asia next month? (Question directed to Muckus and anyother FT participants.)
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by 747LWW
By the way, any chance for a FT mini-do in Asia next month? (Question directed to Muckus and anyother FT participants.)

I am certainly up for a FT get-together. My Asia travel dates for November are:
Shanghai 5-7 November
Beijing 8-10 November
Hong Kong 27-30 November

PM me if any of these work...
Old Oct 9, 2006, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Marcus:
Did you receive a PM or an email re my flight schedules from the US to SIN?
Let me know if you did not and I will Resend.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 11:23 am

Programs: Shangri La GC Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, SPG Gold, EVA Gold, AMEX Centurion
My Apologies for a tardy response

Hi LWW,

Thank you for your detailed analysis. I am very sorry I did not respond to your comments earlier. I was very busy and then forgot to check this thread for some time. I just saw it today. My apologies.

I tend to agree with you. I do not stay at Shangri La properties enough to qualify as an Executive member but in 2007 I probably will. In my opinion, they are fantastic hotels, and other things don't come close.

My girlfriend and I discussed it and it seems that in Singapore at the Mandarin Oriental, they have just opened a club floor, after a multi-million reno. We stayed on the club level, and it was excellent. There were a number of superb features, including lavish champagne breakfasts, etc. However, in balance, the sincerity of the service is still better at Shangri La properties in my opinion.

Next time I am in Sing, I will stay in the Valley Wing. In the meantime, if you're ever in Bangkok, let me know. I go about 6 times a year and I would be delighted to take you out for drinks if we're there at the same time!

And BTW, the Shang in BKK is a dream. I am only a simple Golden Circle member, and I sometimes get free upgrades to their suites - just spectacular!

Regards,
FF

Hi FlyingFish:
I was just wondering where you decided to stay on your trip to Singapore?
Let us know.

Regards
LWW
Old Oct 17, 2006, 3:20 am

Programs: PPS, Shangs
Thumbs down

[QUOTE=747LWW]Hi jhm!

I trust all is well with you.

Regarding credit at Singapore, I would follow-up with Valley Wing personnel (if you need email addresses let me know). Why? In my view, you could have stayed one night there, checked out, and checked in at Traders or Rosa Sentosa and qualified, right? (or did I misunderstand the T&C of the promotion and your joining Golden Circle requirements/conditions/timing?)

Seemingly, you are being denied at least one of the intended promo benefits-goodwill- and could have avoided the problem at a revenue loss to Shangri-la Inc.but you elected to take such action. I hope GC will reconsider your case--suggest you ask for Supervisor or Manager review if by email. If it were me, I would call and ask to speak to Supervisor or Manager (as you know, HK address and phone number. If you need info please PM.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please advise me! I am a relatively frequent guest of Shangri-la Singapore's VW and HK Island Shangri-la (around 80 nights a year across the properties) and i have felt a bit ripped off that i got my nights from staying there but yet when i want to redeem them they only give me tower wing in Singapore NOT the VW even though my records probably show that the only wing i usually stay in when back there!

Ur thoughts?

thanks
Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=sydsing]
Hi jhm!

I trust all is well with you.

Regarding credit at Singapore, I would follow-up with Valley Wing personnel (if you need email addresses let me know). Why? In my view, you could have stayed one night there, checked out, and checked in at Traders or Rosa Sentosa and qualified, right? (or did I misunderstand the T&C of the promotion and your joining Golden Circle requirements/conditions/timing?)

Seemingly, you are being denied at least one of the intended promo benefits-goodwill- and could have avoided the problem at a revenue loss to Shangri-la Inc.but you elected to take such action. I hope GC will reconsider your case--suggest you ask for Supervisor or Manager review if by email. If it were me, I would call and ask to speak to Supervisor or Manager (as you know, HK address and phone number. If you need info please PM.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please advise me! I am a relatively frequent guest of Shangri-la Singapore's VW and HK Island Shangri-la (around 80 nights a year across the properties) and i have felt a bit ripped off that i got my nights from staying there but yet when i want to redeem them they only give me tower wing in Singapore NOT the VW even though my records probably show that the only wing i usually stay in when back there!

Ur thoughts?

thanks
Hi sydsing:

Wow, your business with Shangri-la certaintly eclipses mine!

I have not attempted to make arrangements for use of the "free night" promo credits yet so I did not consider the issue of Singapore Shangri-la Valley Wing reservation (cream de la cream, IMHO) vs a nice Tower Wing and/or Garden Wing assignment. My recommendation is to discuss this issue with the very personable, pleasent, and quite helpful Golden Circle Manager (Golden Circle Manager, Ms Shirley Cheng) or one of her great CS representatives at:
Golden Circle Centre
Shangri-La Hotels & Resorts
c/o Kowloon Shangri-La Hotel
64 Mody Road
Hong Kong
Tel: (852) 27076161
Fax: (852) 23319103
E-Mail: [email protected]

Sydsing, with your outstanding credentials and continuing hotel business, I am quite confident that the Golden Circle team will be most anxious to assist you resolve this matter in a manner that is favorable to you.

Why? I really believe Golden Circle is a Shangri-la tool to build enduring friendships rather than create "lost accounts".

(I also encourage you to copy the Manager of the Valley Wing, SIN, and the General Manager of the Island Shangri-la, HGK, both of whom are wonderful professionals, on any Golden Circle correspondence.)

Good luck and please post your results as you will help all of us!

Best regards
747LWW
Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:33 pm

Mini-review of The Island Shangri-La

"Wonderful"

is my assessment on day 5 of a thirteen day stay. What a great hotel! 747LWW you must find a spare night to try it
Old Oct 18, 2006, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FortuneofWar
"Wonderful"

is my assessment on day 5 of a thirteen day stay. What a great hotel! 747LWW you must find a spare night to try it
Hi FortuneofWar:

Thanks so much for your assessment and recommendation.

As I think I have posted before...but do not remember for certain...I have only heard the best of comments about this facility from guests, Shangri-la employees, etc. over the past few years. Now you have comfirmed their stories.

Yes, I agree I must get this particular hotel on my agenda. Unfortunatly, although my visits to Hong Kong will total 4 in November, I am only "in transit" to SIN from USA in both directions. Darn, even though I tried, I could not schedule even a one night stop in one of my favorite cities of the world(HKG) during my pending visits to SIN so little chance for me to stay there this year as I will likely not return to the Far East in December.

FortuneofWar, I am quite envious of your extended visit to the Island Shangri-la I am certain your stay there will continue to be delightful and I hope you will share a report on your impressions of the ISland Shangri-la with us when you complete your journey.

Best regards
747LWW
Old Oct 23, 2006, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Hello from Texas!

[QUOTE=747LWW]
Originally Posted by sydsing

Hi sydsing:

Wow, your business with Shangri-la certaintly eclipses mine!

I have not attempted to make arrangements for use of the "free night" promo credits yet so I did not consider the issue of Singapore Shangri-la Valley Wing reservation (cream de la cream, IMHO) vs a nice Tower Wing and/or Garden Wing assignment. My recommendation is to discuss this issue with the very personable, pleasent, and quite helpful Golden Circle Manager (Golden Circle Manager, Ms Shirley Cheng) or one of her great CS representatives at:
Golden Circle Centre
Shangri-La Hotels & Resorts
c/o Kowloon Shangri-La Hotel
64 Mody Road
Hong Kong
Tel: (852) 27076161
Fax: (852) 23319103
E-Mail: [email protected]

Sydsing, with your outstanding credentials and continuing hotel business, I am quite confident that the Golden Circle team will be most anxious to assist you resolve this matter in a manner that is favorable to you.

Why? I really believe Golden Circle is a Shangri-la tool to build enduring friendships rather than create "lost accounts".

(I also encourage you to copy the Manager of the Valley Wing, SIN, and the General Manager of the Island Shangri-la, HGK, both of whom are wonderful professionals, on any Golden Circle correspondence.)

Good luck and please post your results as you will help all of us!

Best regards
747LWW
Please PM me on urgent basis...I have great news!
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Hello sydsing

Ops, what I need by PM is an email address so that I can transmit response to your earlier post.
Thanks
747LWW

Last edited by 747LWW; Oct 24, 2006 at 5:02 pm Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.