Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

Golden Circle--Shangri-la Hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Golden Circle--Shangri-la Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2006, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Bump please.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Email Address--Shangri-la Valley Wing; Singapore

Hi Syding:

I was hoping to provide you with this in private but since I have not been about to reach you and the issue may be time sensitive, I am relaying a message to you from the Shangri-la Singapore. If I understood the message correctly, Mr. Viri L Kaur, Director of Rooms & Diplomatic Affairs, Valley Wing,
Shangri-La Hotel Singapore,22 Orange Grove Road, Singapore 258350; Tel: (65) 6737 3644 Fax: (65) 6235 7266; DID: (65) 6213 4966; wishes to correspond/speak with you to resolve your coupon. My guess is that they will acommodate your request.

At any rate, I hope you will get this message in time and will be able to review the matter with Mr. Kaur.

I understand that the email address for the Valley Wing is as follows :

[email protected]

Good luck and I hope you will advise this thread regarding the outcome of your efforts to use the "free nights" promotion of the Golden Circle/Shangri-la group.

747LWW

Last edited by 747LWW; Oct 26, 2006 at 8:33 pm Reason: spelling
Old Nov 7, 2006, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

JUst Spend Three Great Days At Rasa Sentosa Shangri-la Resort-Singapore

I just returned minutes ago from South East Asia business trip of 6 nights, three of which were spent at the ever more attractive Rasa Sentosa Resort. Wow, if you have not visited this Shangri-la Resort properity in the last month or two, I recommend you try them again. The exterior in general and the landscaping component of that exterior in particular has undergown dramatic improvements very recently. Actually, I understand that this "upgrade" remains a work in progress although the schedule apparently calls for completion very soon.

From my discussions with various staff members,I have concluded that the vision for what I consider to be a much more tropical setting, especially at night, with an emphasis on a spectacular waterfall that is now the centerpiece of the front entrance, is due to the direct collaboration of the Resident Manager, Mr. Powell, and his boss, the GM of the Property, Mr. B., both of whom are dedicated to the continued improvement of the facility which, by the way, includes a multi-million dollar (US) renovation of the striking, very tropical-setting outdoor restaurant. (I had dinner there and it was just great.)

At any rate, a more complete report on this now even more luxurious and attractive Shangri-la property will be forthcoming from me in a few days.

By the way, I was able to visit with Ms Moli, the Guest Relations Manager and her team and as usual, was just overwhelmed by the "personal touch & outstanding service" this staff continues to provide all of their guests. (Also had a chance to meet a few other members of the staff but more on this in a later post.)

747LWW
Old Nov 9, 2006, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

My friend, I completly agree with your assessment. In reviewing this thread, I just realized that my response to your fine post was not included. I am so very sorry for the delay in getting back with you but I just wanted you to know that my assessment is "spot on" with your analysis.

Happy travels,
747LWW
Old Nov 12, 2006, 6:59 am

Programs: PPS, Shangs
[QUOTE=747LWW]Hi Syding:

Hi 747LWW, many thanks ^ . you seem to be very well connected - thank you for your help.

I will revert to Mr.Kaur as I received a negative response from GC:

Dear Mr. xxxxxxx,

Further to our below e-mail, please allow us to explain further that all
free nights will be redeemed at the best room category available at time of
booking excluding "suites". As such, we are sorry that we cannot comply
your request to confirm that the room allocated for you will be at the
Valley Wing. Your kind understanding in this matter is highly appreciated.

Should we be of any further service, please feel free to contact us.

Yours sincerely,
xxxxxxxxxx
(a Supervisor)

Hopefully I might get a positive response from the VW. BTW the VW staff are AWESOME and DELIGHTFUL!

I sometimes get the feeling GC almost doesnt want my business...I've been an elite member for 6 years, stay 80+ nights a year across the region...just get the feeling they're not really interested. I have tried signing up for the GC newsletter "Inner circle" numerous times (at least 5 times) and still dont receive it...don't get send out any exclusive offers/promotions, etc...and the above matter also.

Thanks again 747 LWW - i do hope one day i can grab some of those contacts off you - sure be handy!

Old Nov 12, 2006, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

I am certain Mr. V. Kaur will have you smiling very quickly. As a matter of fact,he is waiting on my supplying him your email address as I understand he will wishes to contact you directly. I will do that forthwith.

In my opinion, your business must be important to Shangri-la and I am disappointed that you have any indications, "vibes" , etc., to the contrary.

Happy travels

747LWW

[QUOTE=sydsing]
Originally Posted by 747LWW
Hi Syding:

Hi 747LWW, many thanks ^ . you seem to be very well connected - thank you for your help.

I will revert to Mr.Kaur as I received a negative response from GC:

Dear Mr. xxxxxxx,

Further to our below e-mail, please allow us to explain further that all
free nights will be redeemed at the best room category available at time of
booking excluding "suites". As such, we are sorry that we cannot comply
your request to confirm that the room allocated for you will be at the
Valley Wing. Your kind understanding in this matter is highly appreciated.

Should we be of any further service, please feel free to contact us.

Yours sincerely,
xxxxxxxxxx
(a Supervisor)

Hopefully I might get a positive response from the VW. BTW the VW staff are AWESOME and DELIGHTFUL!

I sometimes get the feeling GC almost doesnt want my business...I've been an elite member for 6 years, stay 80+ nights a year across the region...just get the feeling they're not really interested. I have tried signing up for the GC newsletter "Inner circle" numerous times (at least 5 times) and still dont receive it...don't get send out any exclusive offers/promotions, etc...and the above matter also.

Thanks again 747 LWW - i do hope one day i can grab some of those contacts off you - sure be handy!

Last edited by 747LWW; Nov 12, 2006 at 7:33 pm
Old Nov 13, 2006, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Any News?

Just wondering if you have any news for the readers of this thread re your issue about the "free nights Golden Circle promotion?

Regards

747LWW
[QUOTE=747LWW]I am certain Mr. V. Kaur will have you smiling very quickly. As a matter of fact,he is waiting on my supplying him your email address as I understand he will wishes to contact you directly. I will do that forthwith.

In my opinion, your business must be important to Shangri-la and I am disappointed that you have any indications, "vibes" , etc., to the contrary.

Happy travels

747LWW

Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:30 pm

Programs: PPS, Shangs
Hmmmmm....

[QUOTE=747LWW]Just wondering if you have any news for the readers of this thread re your issue about the "free nights Golden Circle promotion?

Regards

747LWW

No word back from Shangri-la, GC or anyone...no one contacted me as yet.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
[QUOTE=sydsing]
Originally Posted by 747LWW
Just wondering if you have any news for the readers of this thread re your issue about the "free nights Golden Circle promotion?

Regards

747LWW

No word back from Shangri-la, GC or anyone...no one contacted me as yet.

Notwithstanding that issue, I can report having used a free night from that promotion last week in Shanghai. They made it very easy to use and confirmed it quickly after I had booked a two night stay (I originally intended to pay for both nights). Even though I had upcoming reservations on the books at cheaper properties in the next month they confirmed my free night at a very expensive property. One note, though -- when I checked out in the Horizon Club there was about 600RMB on my bill for that night. I asked about this the person helping me noted the mistake and removed it, saying it was for thier internal accounting and should not have ended up on my statement. Even so, the promotion worked very well in this case. I am sorry to hear about the trouble at the property in Singapore and I wish you luck with sorting that out.

Best wishes,

Muckus
Old Nov 14, 2006, 6:18 pm
jhm

This is not strictly related to Golden Circle but this thread seems to be the place for general Shangri-La related points.

I was just looking through the membership guide for Dragonair's The Elite FFP (which I read on the CX forum will soon be subsumed into the CX MPC).

For Platinum and Gold members (the top two tiers out of four) of The Elite, Shangri-La offers the following benefits:

* upgrade to next room category (Subject to availability and applies to any rates except group / packaged rates)

* complimentary breakfast

These benefits are only available in the Shangri-La properties in China (so not Singapore) including the ones in Beijing and Shanghai.

This is certainly not a benefit offered by SQ FFP which I'm a member of. Does anyone know whether they're offered by CX MPC or any other FFP besides KA ?
Old Nov 15, 2006, 5:42 pm
jhm

Better late than never!

I joined GC in mid-August (thanks to 747LWW). I just received today - 3 months later - my permanent GC membership card!
Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:13 pm

Programs: QF, Golden Circle, Marriott Rewards
Island Shangri La

A small gap between meetings so I have the chance to post my impressions of the Island Shangri-La garnered from a 14 day business stay in October.

I should explain that it was my first time in HK, so I was quite determined to get out and explore, and as a consequence I simply didn't get the chance to use all the facilities: I couldn't find a time when the Library wasn't booked for private functions, and somehow, I didn't manage to dine at a hotel restaurant - other than breakfast.

That said:

- Wow - what a city!
- Wow - what a hotel!
- The best Bircher muesli I've ever had
- The room was very quiet, spacious, well appointed (I swapped the usual shower for a bath, just so that I could watch the plasma TV in the bathroom), and immaculately cleaned and maintained - my loose papers were 'squared up' and put under a paperweight, believe it or not.
- The complimentary toiletries were sensational.
- The view of the harbour should have been superb - but I guess they can't control air quality!
- The reception, housekeeping staff, and porters delivered an amazing level of service, day after day.
- The hotel gym was large, very well equipped - perhaps a little over-warm for a gym, and open 24 hours a day (I was the only one there at 3.30am).

This was the best hotel I've ever stayed at and I don't expect to ever stay at a better one. In a word: Wonderful
Old Nov 20, 2006, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Hello my friend and greetings:

Just back from the Valley Wing Singapore --- two night stay that was simply spectacular....even eclipsed the few days that fellow Fter jhm and myself enjoyed a few months ago togeather during our brief stay. Gosh, how great! At any rate, I will provide full report of this latest visit later.

(As some of you know, this visit was part of a "mini SIN FT do" several of us arranged for SIN on Nov 19. By the way, Valley Wing visit was preceeded by an unforgetable three day visit to the "Singapore Island Shangri-la property, the fabulous Rasa Sentosa with hosts Mr. C. Powell, property Resident manager, his boss, the GM, Mr. "B.", and their most wonderful Guest relations manager, Ms Moli.) Unbelievable. )

All of the Valley Wing staff I spoke with were fully at the top of their game even thought George Bush and his 300 room entourage had just left the Valley Wing and the other sections of the Shangri-la Singapore and the President and First Lady of the Philippines checked into the Valley Wing facility only 2 nights later--- this Sunday night. (By the way, just by chance, a group of FTers witnessed the entire "ceremony" that went on in the Valley Wing when the Philippine dignitaries arrived along with the local press folks, etc.) What I am really saying is that the Staff had been putting in 500AM to 9-10PM work days for I do not know how long...at least a week, and it was obvious to us the preperations and practice that had been completed. I would say flawless.

The GM of the Shangri-la Singapore property , a most personable and gracious individual, (and as I understand super-manager of all three Shangri-la Shingapore properties (stargm can you confirm) came in on his day off to greet the arriving Philippine dignitaries.

In summary,everyone was most gracious and charming, even though they were sold out all of last week week, due I suppose, at least in part to the visit of G. Bush and wife + entourage followed by the Philippine group.

At any rate, I was very impressed. I hope the other Fters who witnessed this event, Sub-Dub-Commuter and Tefles will independently report their observations.

OK, with that as the introduction, I did not meet the Manager of the Valley Wing -Government Affairs during this visit. However, I can report to all concerned about the promotional program that he agreed with the wishes of our FT member Sydsing member that his free nights should be available to him at the Valley Wing.

Thus, Sydsing, I am reporting that your request has been agreeded to---- as I think it should have been. I am sorry that you have not been contacted directly by Mr. Kulv (sp), the manager of the Valley Wing, but I am sure that if you contact him he will confirm. I guess I am making excuses for him not advising you earlier but I personally understand after learning of the luminaries that are his guests this week and all of the work the entire team from the Valley Wing was putting into this effort.

If you have questions, please post or PM.

Warmest regards
747LWW

Last edited by 747LWW; Nov 21, 2006 at 7:11 pm
Old Nov 20, 2006, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Hi Muckus:

You lucky dog, I am so happy to learn that you received your reward and actually used it!

I have several "free nights" but could not use them as I am trying to requalify at the 60 night level and using "no credit" nights would have only made things more difficult. What bothers me, if I earned the award but cannot or am unable to use, why can I not gift the award to someone else? I solicit your thoughts and the thoughts of other FTers on that matter. I hope all will post and maybe Golden Circle will get the message and change their offer next time!!!

PS WoW! Happy you alerted others to the portential error on free night from, of all folks, the Golden Circle "free" offer.

Regards

747LWW

[QUOTE=Muckus]
Originally Posted by sydsing

Notwithstanding that issue, I can report having used a free night from that promotion last week in Shanghai. They made it very easy to use and confirmed it quickly after I had booked a two night stay (I originally intended to pay for both nights). Even though I had upcoming reservations on the books at cheaper properties in the next month they confirmed my free night at a very expensive property. One note, though -- when I checked out in the Horizon Club there was about 600RMB on my bill for that night. I asked about this the person helping me noted the mistake and removed it, saying it was for thier internal accounting and should not have ended up on my statement. Even so, the promotion worked very well in this case. I am sorry to hear about the trouble at the property in Singapore and I wish you luck with sorting that out.

Best wishes,

Muckus
Old Nov 20, 2006, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Hello jhm:

Delighted to see you post again on this thread and what interesting news yu bring...as always!

I am sorry I do not know an answer to this question. I hope other Fters may know. If not, would you consider submitting to Golden Circle Mgr and requesting a reply then posting the response?

I trust all is well, still hoping we can send a few hrs togeather in Austria/Germany next month.

Warmest regards
747LWW

Originally Posted by jhm
This is not strictly related to Golden Circle but this thread seems to be the place for general Shangri-La related points.

I was just looking through the membership guide for Dragonair's The Elite FFP (which I read on the CX forum will soon be subsumed into the CX MPC).

For Platinum and Gold members (the top two tiers out of four) of The Elite, Shangri-La offers the following benefits:

* upgrade to next room category (Subject to availability and applies to any rates except group / packaged rates)

* complimentary breakfast

These benefits are only available in the Shangri-La properties in China (so not Singapore) including the ones in Beijing and Shanghai.

This is certainly not a benefit offered by SQ FFP which I'm a member of. Does anyone know whether they're offered by CX MPC or any other FFP besides KA ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.