Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

Golden Circle--Shangri-la Hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Golden Circle--Shangri-la Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2006, 10:46 pm

Programs: Asiamiles, MPC
Hi 747LWW

Dear 747LWW I have sent you a PM with some information.

Regards

stargm
Old Jul 3, 2006, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Welcome to Flyer Talk!

Originally Posted by stargm
Dear 747LWW I have sent you a PM with some information.

Regards

stargm
Thanks so much for your message stargm and for your continued participation on this board in general and this thread in particular. We are honored and delighted to have you as a FT member and especailly as a participatant of this thread!

Again, welcome

LWW
Old Jul 3, 2006, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Muckus
I gave abrief report above, but I will expand on it here. First, here is my earlier post:

Thank you for this excellent information! I spent a week at the Shangri-La in Beijing, which is excellent. I was met at the door and taken directly to my room, where I checked in from my own desk. They signed me up for the Golden Circle club on the stop, without any prompt from me. The hotel is excellent and I look forward to staying at their property in Cairns this summer and elsewhere in Asia in the fall. It is a fantastic place, which I highly recommend!

I would add that the service was excellent at the hotel. I was on the Horizon Club floor and enjoyed the breakfast and the evening drinks/food. The best thing of all was the rate, which was reasonable (about US$199/night) and included round-trip airport transfers in a hotel-owned Audi A6, Horizon Club access, a very nice room, and UNLIMITED laundry and dry-cleaning. This last feature was outstanding, as I was on a ten day trip.

After the trip to Cairns, which I mentioned above, I will be Sydney for a week. I am booked into the Four Seasons and have considered switching to the Shangri-La. They are running a special where you get a free night for use in any Shangri=La for every four you spend this summer at "qualifying properties." Evidently both Cairns and Sydney qualify. Even so, I did some investigating on TripAdvisor and found the comments on the Shangri-La in Sydney to be mixed. There are always going to be some criticisms, but I would say that the Shangri-La has noticably more than the Four Seasons. It is anecdontal, of course, but enough to get me to stick with the Four Seasons for that stay.

So, I am definitely hooked on Shangri-La hotels and will stay at the Beijing property again this fall and will almost certainly book at one of their properties in Hong Kong this fall as well. The Golden Circle Club seems like an excellent feature, but I do not yet have experience with it as I have only had one stay so far (and thus no chance for an upgrade on a return visit, etc.).

Cheers,

Muckus
Thanks for response and report, Muckus. I hope your visit in Sydney was fun...wish I were there. By the way, did you make it to Bondi Beach? I know the seasons are different but hope it was warm enough for you to get out there.
Regarding your membership in the Golden Circle, I am not so certain any more of the official requirements but I suggest you check. The best contact is e mail at [email protected] . I would think that they would give you credit for your long, expensive stay in Beijiing if you ask and after you perhaps provide the dates of your visit.

At any rate, as I understand the rules you are already qualified to request a suite upgrade although there may be some modest cost, starting at as little as $US 39, at your present level of participation in the Golden Circle/ Believe me, the small extra charge is worth it! Look, the way they have set their program set up, this is the single most valuable benefit they offer, IMHO. So be sure to inquire about it when you contact Golden Circle and when you stay at any Shangri-la property. For more advice on this point, please email or send a PM.
I urge you to follow-up on getting crdit for your prior stays and encourage you to fully participate in the room upgrade program. I am confident that after you do you will always have Shangi-la at the top of your list of places to stay, period. As a matter of fact, I predict that you, like myself, will go out of your way to seek out a Shangri-la property.

Best regards
LWW

PS I am a bit suprised and quite frankly disappointed that the Shangri-la in Beijing did not encourage you, solicit you, etc. to join the Golden Circle. I am afraid that the front desk person made a serious mistake!

Last edited by 747LWW; Jul 3, 2006 at 5:41 pm
Old Jul 3, 2006, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747LWW
Muckus, did you join Golden Circle and if so when, where, and how? I have now found a much better site to answer questions regarding the Golden Circle Program. Please go to https://www.shangri-la.com/gc/benefi...ndex.aspx#3469 If you use this address I believe you will be on the Shangri-la home page site and in particular, I think you will be at the site for infor on the Golden Circle.

Muckus, things have indeed changed over the years with this program since I joined as I have now confirm that they say membership is offered by the hotel basis room rate, etc.? Muckus, I still belive that the front desk personnel made a mistake recognizing you were a guest for 6 nights and failing to offer you membership REGARDLESS of the fee you were paying. Stated another way, if I were the owner or Manager I would instruct my staff to offer, encourage conjole, etc. anyone staying for that long at any rate!
I am sorry that you had this experience but never the less, I would still contact Golden Circle and explain the circumstances and let us see if they will give you credit for those nights. Why? Well, the benifits are much imporved once ytou reach the Executive level which occurs at 20 nights and it seems if you get prior credits you will be at that point before the end of the calander year. THIS MAKES A LOT OF DIFFERENCE and will enhance the please of your stays considerably in my opinion. GO FOR IT!!!!
My personal recommendation is do whatever you must do to get to that level!

Now just a couple of thoughts regarding the suite up-grade opportunity. YOU HAVE THIS NOW BUT YOU MUST REQUEST IT UPON CHECK-IN basis my reading of the latest posted rules! Also, on the Golden Circle site, the hotels are identified regarding that charge either the $US 39 or $US79 fee/night for the suite upgrade. Of course the upscale facilites charge the higher rate for the suite but once again, believe me, I think it is worth the difference.

I have also been concermed about guaranteed room availability. Under frequently asked questions area on aforementioned site,any "black-out" dates by hotel for this important benefit are identifed. I recommend you review this list.

Please continue to post your experiences.

Best regards and good travels in the future,
Lewis Watts

Last edited by 747LWW; Jul 3, 2006 at 9:45 pm
Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:19 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosiac, Hainan Fortune Wings, Spirit Ultra Cheapskate
747LWW
I am encouraged to see that you are a strong supporter of Shangri-La. My experiences at the Taipei Far Eastern would never create such fervor. In fact I would probably avoid Shangri-La if I had not had such a good experience in Singapore.

I recently returned from a 14 day stay in Taiwan and received my official Golden Circle packet. After checking my status on-line, I find that my 10 day April stay at the FE was credited at only TWO days - and now I don't have the receipt anymore. So I am stuck at 19 days total (3 at S'pore and '16' at Taipei).

Moreover, the FE charges Golden Circle members for local calls. After 40+ local calls - that adds up. FE never credits my Asia miles account, they didn't honor my 50% breakfast discount on my first stay, they continually find excuses to not uphold all the Golden Circle benefits.

I never have time to argue over every charge when I check out - I have a plane to catch. I push back on these infringements and just get the run-around. They know I can't stay long, I set up my airport taxi with them. These guys are over the top.

Skillet
Old Jul 8, 2006, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Skillet
747LWW
I am encouraged to see that you are a strong supporter of Shangri-La. My experiences at the Taipei Far Eastern would never create such fervor. In fact I would probably avoid Shangri-La if I had not had such a good experience in Singapore.

I recently returned from a 14 day stay in Taiwan and received my official Golden Circle packet. After checking my status on-line, I find that my 10 day April stay at the FE was credited at only TWO days - and now I don't have the receipt anymore. So I am stuck at 19 days total (3 at S'pore and '16' at Taipei).

Moreover, the FE charges Golden Circle members for local calls. After 40+ local calls - that adds up. FE never credits my Asia miles account, they didn't honor my 50% breakfast discount on my first stay, they continually find excuses to not uphold all the Golden Circle benefits.

I never have time to argue over every charge when I check out - I have a plane to catch. I push back on these infringements and just get the run-around. They know I can't stay long, I set up my airport taxi with them. These guys are over the top.

Skillet
Hi Skillet:

Sorry for the delay in getting back with you---I just returned from a business trip of several days. I am also sorry to hear that you did not receive credit for your entire 14 day stay to apply to your Golden Circle membership credits.
I am sure that the Golden Circle team can assist you. I recommend you contact them by email. You must get that magic 20 stays so you will be at the Executive Level of the Golden Circle.
My recommendation is to take a couple of minutes and let Golden circle know what happened. They can contact the hotel directly and get your "nights of stay" information I suspect. I hope you remember when you checked in or when you checked out as this would assist them in their search of the hotel records.
Here is info that should help you contact Golden Circle---this came from the www.shangri-la.com web site under Golden Circle, then Frequently asked Questions, then credit for stays:

How to file claims on missing stay credits?

Golden Circle makes every effort to ensure members accounts are properly credited. Members should wait at least for 4 days from date of hotel departure before filing a claim for missing credits.

Any requests for missing stay credits should be sent by email to our service centre at [email protected] or use the "Contact Us" option. Please include your name, membership number, name of the hotel and period of stay in the email for processing.To ensure you receive your stay credits, please provide your Golden Circle membership number when you make your Shangri-La reservation and present your Golden Circle membership card when you check-in.

Skillit---If this does not work, please let me know as I have some other ideas that might assist you. By the way, local telephone call are free for Golden Circle members. So at least in the future, you should not encounter such charges.

Best regards
LWW

Last edited by 747LWW; Jul 8, 2006 at 11:25 am
Old Jul 9, 2006, 11:30 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosiac, Hainan Fortune Wings, Spirit Ultra Cheapskate
Thanks for the advice. I have already contacted the Golden Circle team directly and I was able to receive some credit for my stays. I should now be above the 20 night limit. The GC team in Hong Kong is extremely responsive, reasonable and friendly.

My earlier rant has been mostly mitigated. My issues are all with the Far Eastern and nothing to do with Golden Circle or Shangri-La. I think this all goes back to a point I made earlier in this thread: Can a hotel maintain standards across a both owned and franchised properties? It seems to be just as difficult at the high end as it does at the low end (e.g. wildly varying Best Westerns). Hamptons seem to do the best at this.

-Skillet
Old Jul 10, 2006, 12:29 am

Clarification on the upgrade option

Hi All,

Thanks for all the great information available here.... ^
Made Executive recently - and had a quick question about the upgrade option available - believe it is $79 for the HK Shangs - but is this per stay or per night?
So, for example, for 5 nights, would one pay $79 flat for the duration of the stay or $79 x 5 if one wanted a suite for the entire stay (subject to availability of course..)?

Thanks for any info....
Old Jul 10, 2006, 6:01 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dms321
Hi All,

Made Executive recently - and had a quick question about the upgrade option available - believe it is $79 for the HK Shangs - but is this per stay or per night?
So, for example, for 5 nights, would one pay $79 flat for the duration of the stay or $79 x 5 if one wanted a suite for the entire stay (subject to availability of course..)?

Thanks for any info....
It is per night. Long ago are the times were it was US$25 regardless of the hotel :-(
Old Jul 10, 2006, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peter42
It is per night. Long ago are the times were it was US$25 regardless of the hotel :-(
I concure with peter42 that the upcharge is per night. For the UP, to determine if the charge is $39 or $79, you need to go to www.shangri-la.com and click on Golden Circle at top of page. Then go to Benefits and then as you are reading the small print of the individual benefits section you will note something like "An executive suite upgrade...." I forget the rest. They then have a statement something like "Click for details" in the explaination of this benefit. When you check on that item, a new screen opens and it lists the properties and the suite upgrade costs for various properties.

If you have problems with the directions, let us know the particular hotel and I will confirm the charge and send you a personal message if you like.

By the way, again to the OP, congratulations with your new level of membership at a fine hotel chain!
Old Jul 10, 2006, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dms321
Hi All,

Thanks for any info....
One point of clarification to my earlier response: I believe the official Golden Circle rules state that at a given property the upgrade can be used for three consecutive nights...but I understand the hotel properties have some flexibility regarding this matter and I suspect they would try very hard to accommodate your needs. Of course, if there is no avaibility beyond the three days then of course, they would have no options...except perhaps move you to the Presidential Suite...just kidding.

Best regards
LWW
Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:03 am

Poor experiences w/Kowloon Shang

While I very much like the Island Shangri-La in HK, I have been very disappointed in the Kowloon property. My first stay was excellent; 2 stays since then have been unsatisfactory. (I am a Golden Circle club general member.)

The first bad stay was in 2004, during hotel renovations. I was assured that the work was being done on other floors, and I don’t doubt that was true. The noise from the work, though, was horrible and made it impossible to work or rest during the day. The hotel apologized and arranged for me to stay at the Island property.

The second bad stay was last December, the week before Christmas. I had, as always, booked a harbour view room, and I looked forward to staying in the property after its renovations. I was given a room on the lowest (4th) floor, and the room bore not the slightest sign of renovation: the lock was still a mechanical key, the bathroom did not have a separate bath and shower, the tv was small and old, the furnishings were long past their sell-by date. I would have been disappointed if I’d been staying with a tour group. But as a GC member staying as a corporate customer, especially during a time of the year when hotels are not running at high occupancy, and especially when my previous visit was less than satisfactory, the hotel lost my business. I called the IC just down the street, got a wonderful rate for a harbour-view room, and checked out of the Kowloon Shang 15 minutes after having checked in.

I do not foresee a situation in which I would return.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Hello again Skillet!

I am delighted to learn that you were satisfied with the response of the Golden Circle team. I am not suprised, just pleased that they have assisted another guest as they have assisted me in the past when I sought their recommendations on a minor problem I encountered.

I hope that someone will address the question of "owned" vs "operated" Shangri-la/Golden Circle as I too am interested in how they ensure that the Shangri/la/Golden Circle hospitility policies, poredures, etc. standards are followed at all of the properties that they are associated with.

Hope this development leads you to rethink your decision regarding your hotel selection for your forthcoming trip to Hong Kong and that you at least keep Shangri-la in mind in general, especially that great group at the Kowloon location that I happen to know. (As you will recall, I simply have only very old, limited experience at the Island location so I am unable to comment on it other than I cannot imagine that it would be less than stellar.

Please continure reporting your Shangri-la/Traders experiences---good and BAD---on this thread.
Regards
LWW

Originally Posted by Skillet
Thanks for the advice. I have already contacted the Golden Circle team directly and I was able to receive some credit for my stays. I should now be above the 20 night limit. The GC team in Hong Kong is extremely responsive, reasonable and friendly.

My earlier rant has been mostly mitigated. My issues are all with the Far Eastern and nothing to do with Golden Circle or Shangri-La. I think this all goes back to a point I made earlier in this thread: Can a hotel maintain standards across a both owned and franchised properties? It seems to be just as difficult at the high end as it does at the low end (e.g. wildly varying Best Westerns). Hamptons seem to do the best at this.

-Skillet
Old Jul 20, 2006, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

I am planning on being in Singapore August 9-16 with family. Will any other FTers be there? If so, beverages are on me.

Please advise and I will send details by PM if you are interested. (Wife and grand-daughter will be with me unless you prefer smaller group).

Hope to learn other FT members will be there at that time!

LWW

Last edited by 747LWW; Jul 25, 2006 at 9:20 pm
Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wideman
While I very much like the Island Shangri-La in HK, I have been very disappointed in the Kowloon property. My first stay was excellent; 2 stays since then have been unsatisfactory. (I am a Golden Circle club general member.)

The first bad stay was in 2004, during hotel renovations. I was assured that the work was being done on other floors, and I don’t doubt that was true. The noise from the work, though, was horrible and made it impossible to work or rest during the day. The hotel apologized and arranged for me to stay at the Island property.

The second bad stay was last December, the week before Christmas. I had, as always, booked a harbour view room, and I looked forward to staying in the property after its renovations. I was given a room on the lowest (4th) floor, and the room bore not the slightest sign of renovation: the lock was still a mechanical key, the bathroom did not have a separate bath and shower, the tv was small and old, the furnishings were long past their sell-by date. I would have been disappointed if I’d been staying with a tour group. But as a GC member staying as a corporate customer, especially during a time of the year when hotels are not running at high occupancy, and especially when my previous visit was less than satisfactory, the hotel lost my business. I called the IC just down the street, got a wonderful rate for a harbour-view room, and checked out of the Kowloon Shang 15 minutes after having checked in.

I do not foresee a situation in which I would return.
Hi wideman:

Well, does not sound good to me! I think you somehow fell through the cracks
as the room assignment did not meet your expecitations as a Golden Circle member and would not have been acceptable to me either. I hope the hotel staff was advised of your displeasure and that you elected to move your business elsewhere. They need to know of your problems so they can improve in the future.

Most happy that you secured a room with harbor views that was acceptable...such vistas are one of the reasons I enjoy traveling to Hong Kong.

Best regards
LWW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.