Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

Golden Circle--Shangri-la Hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Golden Circle--Shangri-la Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2006, 5:15 pm

Programs: Shangri La GC Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, SPG Gold, EVA Gold, AMEX Centurion
Choice in Singapore?

Hi everyone,

I am just getting into the Shangri La scene, as I have been very impressed with their hotels the last few times I have stayed with them. Usually, I book a Horizon Club room in Bangkok. I think I will build status with them.

My girfriend and I are going to be in Singapore in August and we are considering the choices. We will just be there for a long weekend (3 nights) and we want a city hotel.

Does anyone have experience with the Traders vs Shangri La in Singapore? At the club level, is their flagship property really worth the extra $100 or so, per night? What about the Valley Wing? I'm not a Head of State so I'm unsure if the private driveway is such an issue for me...

Help would be appreciated.
FF
Old Jun 12, 2006, 4:52 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingFish
Hi everyone,

I am just getting into the Shangri La scene, as I have been very impressed with their hotels the last few times I have stayed with them. Usually, I book a Horizon Club room in Bangkok. I think I will build status with them.

My girfriend and I are going to be in Singapore in August and we are considering the choices. We will just be there for a long weekend (3 nights) and we want a city hotel.

Does anyone have experience with the Traders vs Shangri La in Singapore? At the club level, is their flagship property really worth the extra $100 or so, per night? What about the Valley Wing? I'm not a Head of State so I'm unsure if the private driveway is such an issue for me...

FF

The horizon club at the SL is really nice, the hotel looks much nicer than the traders, even thought we never stayed at the traders. I would go for a premier room (72 square meters) at the horizon level.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingFish
Hi everyone,

FF
Family and I will be in Singapore again in early August...perhaps we can arrange to meet. If so, the beverages are on me.

At any rate, the three of us returned yesterday from 2 night stay at Kowloon Shangri-la (upgraded in Hong Kong to a 2 room suite basis my "status" in Golden Circle; stayed in a Horizon level unit -Room 1802-with a direct, breathtaking view of Victoria Bay; complementry breakfast served on Floor 21, club located on Level 20. ) and 6 nights at Traders in Singapore (tried to upgrade here but all suites occupied but did secure a two room apartment on Floor 16 of this 20 floor facility.

I have not stayed at the Shangri-la in Bangkok in several years but friends tell me it is a real "class" facility since renovation (Of course, 5* at least even before renovation,IMHO.) Thus, you must have good tastes!

As you know, Shangri-la has three properties in Singapore and I have stayed many times at all three. Concerning the two "city" locations in Singapore,Traders and Shangri-la, (which excludes the more remote but delightful Sentosa location where Mr. Powell is now the General Manager as of two weeks ago; and the very dedicated Ms. Mori is the Guest Relations Manager ) I offer the following comments:

The Shangri-la is a marverous 5* plus facility consistings of three interlocking sections with a different "look, feel, and personality" in each section:

(1) the Garden Wing (about 6 floors where many rooms have lovely balconies overlooking the hugh swimming pool & sun bathing area for the entire complex). The suites here are quite spacious but for my tastes, the interiors are somewhat dated and are several steps down from the much more recently renovated, plasma TV-laden (3 per suite) Kowloon, Hong Kong location I mentioned earlier. The trade-off in this section is somewhat more private, rather lackluster appointments, but lower cost.

(2) the Tower Wing which I believe is 24 stories. Again, from memory, the rooms are much more modern than the Garden Wing and you can get Horizon-level rooms that are quite spacious (about 80 sq. meters if I recall). Perhaps they call these rooms suites, I do not remember. Here, these are great for business activities as they have a couch, etc. but not a seperate sleeping area in the rooms where I have stayed. Worth the extra cost as far as I am concerned vs the Garden Wing.

(3) the Valley Wing is the crown jewel which as you know has seperate entrance, two private receptionists, door-man, bulters, the Presidental Suite ( price negociated but usually about $US 1,500/night which includes private butler, kitchen, exercise room, library, etc.) The "regular" rooms are simply wonderful, about the same size as the larger Tower Wing units, but the service is simply unexcelled. I stay here whenever my business will allow and try to get the family in for a night or two once or twice a year at my expense. There are so many extras I simply cannot name them but the best is the elegance, personal service, and style. Of course breakfast is a special treat in the private Valley Wing dining area and drinks of your choice are served from about 10:00 until very late at night by specially trained butlers.

In summary, if you are looking for a world -class treat for you and your girl-friend this is the place...my guess is you will not leave this area of the hotel for three days and the extra cost will be worth it as your girl-friend will spend more time here enjoying the ever changing food selection, including high-tea, endless champange, etc.rather than shopping on Orchard Road ^

My recommendation, for a three night stay, if you want the best and enjoy luxury, this is the spot for you. But to be sure, please call my friend, mention my name, and I know he will help guide you to the best selection possible (Mr.Roszel Marop, Shangri-la, Singapore, Reception Manager- (65) 6737 3257 or 6733 1029).

Now lets talk about the delightful, most friendly, smaller, and very conveniently located, modestly priced Traders Hotel. Although the standard rooms here are quite small, even if you are on the Traders Club Lounge level (Floor 17 and 18), the suites are excellent and a real bargain. The facility is connected directly to a mall (by covered walkway) which has a complete grocery store, clothing stores, restaurants ( including The Oaks, a favoriate of mine), etc., a georgerous swimming pool-health club section, sever excellent in-house dinning areas, and has just undergone a major renovation.
This is the most gracious staff I have met anywhere in the world. Be sure they will remember your name, the kind of room you prefer, the newspapers you like, your drink of choice, etc. Perhaps I should just state that I stay here often (about 20-30 nights last year), about 7 or 8 at Shangri-la plus about 7-8 at the more remote Sentosa location per year. For the price, the suites at Trader's are almost impossible to beat, but you much be in a suite or you will be disappointed. If you have questions, I would contact the hotel directly and ask about suite availability on the nights you select. My recommendation is to contact Ms Kathleen Lee, Assistant to the General Manager (who just transferred to this location from the Kowloon Shangri-la) and to the Assistant General Manager, Ms. Kanhar. Call Ms Lee, let her know I suggested you get in touch, and SHE WILL ASSIST YOU!!! (65-6738-2222).
Good luck and let us know how your trip goes. If you wish send me a PM for more info please do so.
Best regards
LWW

Last edited by 747LWW; Aug 4, 2006 at 4:18 pm
Old Jun 14, 2006, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sojourner
I was wondering if anyone else has had problems exercising the Guaranteed Room Reservation benefit that Golden Circle Executive and Elite members are supposed to have. I've tried twice, both times running into problems. I've been a Golden Circle Elite member for about a year.

A few months ago, I called the reservation line to request a room at the Kerry Center Hotel in Beijing several days in advance, and was told I couldn't get one as it was fully booked. When I countered with "what about my guaranteed room availability benefit?", the reservation clerk had no clue as to what I was talking about. I asked to speak to a supervisor, and the supervisor told me I had to contact the hotel directly. When I called the hotel directly, got the same response. I again asked to speak to a supervisor, and the supervisor also didn't know what I was talking about. I referred her to the webpage that lists the benefits for Golden Circle members, and finally, she agreed to grant me a room.

Today, I called China World Hotel directly to book a room there. I was told that no rooms were available. I again asked about the guaranteed availability benefit, and the woman said, sorry, the hotel is sold out. Clearly not understanding what "guaranteed room availability" means, I asked to speak to the supervisor. She referred me to the duty manager. The duty manager told me the same thing. I said, yes, but I'm an Elite member, and I am supposed to have guaranteed room availability 48 hours in advance (it was now 72 hours in advance). She said they were already overbooked, and already had 30 (yes that's THIRTY) Golden Circle customers on a waiting list for a room. I said, "then you don't honor your promise of a guaranteed room availability to Elite members?" She said that they only honor it if there are rooms still availability. I told her "But if you have a room availability, no one needs the "guaranteed room availabity". She just restated she was sorry and offered to put me on "the waiting list". I told her I needed to know for sure I had a room, so that would not be acceptable. Again, clearly someone who does not understand the term of "guaranteed room availability".

I used to have the top level elite status with Marriott and used their Guaranteed Room Availability benefit all the time without any problem, but Shangri-La seems to make it either very hard or at least very difficult to use this benefit. Has anyone else had this problem, and figured out how to resolve it?
Sorry you had problems. You know, I do not remember the details but I think the "fine print" in the Golden Circle gives them the option to have "black-out" days and perhaps this means they can suspend the rules when occupancy is high. At any rate, PLEASE contact the Golden Circle group (see www.shangri-la.com) and let them know about your problem. I hope you will advise us on this matter when you get a response as I consider this an important benifit of the Golden Circle program. If they do not honor this component of the program, perhaps I picked the wrong hotel chain to use in the Far East.

Best regards
LWW
Old Jun 14, 2006, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wilbur
747 - I don't have any experience in HK with the Shangri-La any more recent than ten years, so I am sorry that I cannot give you an answer.
Thanks for the reply. As you can see from a preceeding quote, I selected the Kowloon Shangri-la for a two night stay and I recommend it highly! The staff is excellent and the views of Victoria Harbor from the 2 room suite (1802) were simply stunning! Family did not want to continue the trip (we were on route to Singapore).

Best regards
LWW
Old Jun 14, 2006, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peter42
The horizon club at the SL is really nice, the hotel looks much nicer than the traders, even thought we never stayed at the traders. I would go for a premier room (72 square meters) at the horizon level.
Peter, I had slightly different advice but essentially the same. Please do not take offense...thank goodness we all have our own "pet" favoriates.

Best regards
LWW
Old Jun 14, 2006, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wilbur
However, I wonder if this isn't a Beijing problem instead of a ShangriLa problem. Some of the performances at the Hyatt in Beijing have been far worse, devious and deceitful in shocking ways, and the St. Regis has seen some odd things as well.
Wilber, I hope you are correct! And thanks for the "heads-up" on the reports from Beijing. Have you used SL in Beijing and is so, how do you rate it?
Thanks
LWW
Old Jun 15, 2006, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
The two Shangri-La Hotels (Kerry Centre and China World) that I have been through in Beijing have been very nice, and the service is excellent. Concierges at the Kerry Centre are probably the best I have ever dealt with, on par with the St. Regis in SFO. Furthermore, I once had breakfast with Chow Yun Fat in the Kerry Centre. (OK, I was seated a the next table, but close enough - I didn't bother him, and he seemed to be having a nice quiet meal with his wife.)

I would suggest that while these two hotels may not have the opulence of the Hyatt's pool, the service experience is a lot better. The Hyatt across from Tianamen Square sometimes has trouble with the truth content of their communication. Furthermore, the opportunistic price gouging on non-Chinese speaking white guys in Beijing doesn't seem quite as rampant from the Shangri-Las as from the St. Regis, Hyatt, etc., and I have put it down to protection from the concierges. I am thinking specifically on items like short-term car hire, guides for spouses, tickets to events, etc.

In general, these ae two hotels I feel comfortable in.

YMMV, but good luck.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 7:09 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
points?

hi,

one questions, i read the HP and i just can see airline miles earnings on stays.
there is no shangri-la points earning programm?

i am looking to trade hilton points , as i need two shangri la awards, but i doubt that there are any ?

dp
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:50 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosiac, Hainan Fortune Wings, Spirit Ultra Cheapskate
Since this seems to be a general post on all things Golden Circle, I would like to know if anyone has seen any differences between licensed Shangri-La properties versus owned properties.

I hads never stayed at a Shangri-La until this year, but now I have spent >20 days in the past three months at the Taipei Far Eastern (licensed, as far as I can tell) with a stay at the S'pore Traders in between. I am not seeing anything special in Taipei but I just loved the Traders ^ .

The Far Eastern seems to confuse luxury to mean elegant inconvenience. In fact the weird little things at the Far Eastern are more annoying than anything else e.g. no pens - only pencils, a metal room key (but it acts like a key card), no alarm clock just that cheap "control" panel, etc. It is not as wacky as the Grand Hotel in Taipei, but it is close.

Is the Far Eastern comparable to owned Shangri-La hotels?
Old Jun 16, 2006, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Skillet
Since this seems to be a general post on all things Golden Circle, I would like to know if anyone has seen any differences between licensed Shangri-La properties versus owned properties.

I hads never stayed at a Shangri-La until this year, but now I have spent >20 days in the past three months at the Taipei Far Eastern (licensed, as far as I can tell) with a stay at the S'pore Traders in between. I am not seeing anything special in Taipei but I just loved the Traders ^ .

The Far Eastern seems to confuse luxury to mean elegant inconvenience. In fact the weird little things at the Far Eastern are more annoying than anything else e.g. no pens - only pencils, a metal room key (but it acts like a key card), no alarm clock just that cheap "control" panel, etc. It is not as wacky as the Grand Hotel in Taipei, but it is close.

Is the Far Eastern comparable to owned Shangri-La hotels?
Gosh, Skillet, what a great topic!

I had breakfast with the new manager of the Sentosa, Singapore, Shangri-la, Mr. Powell, about a week ago, who told me that the trend within Shangri-la was to manage properties not owned by Shangri-la as they were devoting excessive assets to the investment side rather than exploiting the name branding-service side of their business. We spent about an hour talking about a number of subjects but I did not ask the relative percentage of their service vs ownership position worldwide. I have the impression that they are for sure planning to manage more than invest in the future.
From my experience, I have spent my time (more than 60 nights per year for two years) in Shangri-la owned facilities. I have no experience in licensed unites although I understand that the USA faciilites are licensed rather than owned. Of course you know that a single gentlemen owns the controlling interest in Shangri-la and he makes the individual decisions. (Wish I were so lucky!).
Best regards,
LWW
Old Jun 16, 2006, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Skillet] I have spent >20 days in the past three months at the Taipei Far Eastern (licensed, as far as I can tell) with a stay at the S'pore Traders in between. I am not seeing anything special in Taipei but I just loved the Traders ^ . [QUOTE]

Skillet, just as a follow-up, what did you think of my favorite Traders in Singapore?
Regards
LWW
Old Jun 17, 2006, 1:23 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
Originally Posted by 747LWW
Hi Muckus!
Well, I have been off the board for the seven days while I stayed at Shangri-La "Rasa Sentosa Resort" (4 days) and 3 days at Traders Hotel (the Sangri-La less expensive but exceptionaly nice chain property) ---all in Singarpore. Really, all of their properties, IMHO, that I have visited over the past 5 years are really outstanding, the employees make it a point to learn your name and will remember you, the facilities are safe and clean, as you would expect of 4 and 5 star properties, their service is exceptional, etc.
What is quite important is that as a Golden Cirlce member you qualify for their "upgrade" status. Thus, if I remember correctly , when I first joined some years ago, I paid $25 to become a member. Today, I think it is by invitation only and they require that you have stayed at least one night at one Shangri-la before they accept you .BUT ASK IF YOU CAN JOIN "NOW" So, if you must, stay your first night night at a Shangri-la and if they refuse your application/interst in Golden Circle SPEND THE NEXT NIGHT IN ANY HOTEL. Upon your return to Shangir-la hotel the following night , you will be advised that you are able to join the Golden Circle.

Thereafter, you will have a great range of benefits including reduced cost of bookings, free breakfast, free newpapers, etc. If you stay at least a minimum of only 20 nights/year you become an "Executive Level" member. Even more benefits are yours! At the 60 night/year level Elite level, you sky is the limit!

The program has changed a bit over the past few years but I think it is one of the best frequent guest programs if your goal is to get a suite for the price of a standard room! Now other chains offer free nights, etc. but what differentiates Traders/Shangri-La is that you get personalized, friendly, "sincere" respect and treatment from the General Manager to the "bell boy" every time you stay at one of their properties, professional security, a nice room, and for me, an upgrade from a "standard" room, say 40 square meters ---to a two room suite with about 80 square meters (unless all are already booked) at an additional cost of only about $25-75!!!!!!!!!!!!!(Elite Level) Plus you gain admintance to the "Club Level" floors , club rooms, etc.

I am a member of several national hotel chain "clubs" and this is the best I have found for my needs. If you are looking for a "free" room...which I am not because I travel too much already, then perhaps another goupe might meet your needs. But if you are looking for usscale rooms at an attractive prive, with a guaranteed availability for 3 days notice, a personal greeting and meeting with the General Manager, etc. this is the program that I prefer over the TOP levels of Marriott, Hyatt, etc. that I am still a member of.

If you have any questions, send me a PM and I will try to help you with names and address of key employees in key cities where I stay about 70 days a year.

Best regards
LWW

Thank you for this excellent information! I spent a week at the Shangri-La in Beijing, which is excellent. I was met at the door and taken directly to my room, where I checked in from my own desk. They signed me up for the Golden Circle club on the stop, without any prompt from me. The hotel is excellent and I look forward to staying at their property in Cairns this summer and elsewhere in Asia in the fall. It is a fantastic place, which I highly recommend!
Old Jun 17, 2006, 11:20 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosiac, Hainan Fortune Wings, Spirit Ultra Cheapskate

Skillet, just as a follow-up, what did you think of my favorite Traders in Singapore?
Regards
LWW
The Traders was fantastic and that was what prompted me to look up Shangri-La's ownership structure and see what the difference was between the Far Eastern in Taipei and the Singaporean properties. When in Asia, I usually stay with Marco Polo or Sofitel, but hope that there are more Traders in the future if Singapore is representative of their quality.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 12:44 am

Programs: PPS, Shangs
[QUOTE=747LWW][QUOTE=Skillet] I have spent >20 days in the past three months at the Taipei Far Eastern (licensed, as far as I can tell) with a stay at the S'pore Traders in between. I am not seeing anything special in Taipei but I just loved the Traders ^ .

Regards
LWW
LWW - you get such amazing service at Shangri-la properties.
Upgrades, recognition, GM's meet you, etc...i assume u are Elite level - but just how many nights do you stay at SL properties?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.