FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Hotel Chains (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-hotel-chains-431/)
-   -   Golden Circle--Shangri-la Hotels (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-hotel-chains/557854-golden-circle-shangri-la-hotels.html)

747LWW May 12, 2006 6:15 pm

Golden Circle--Shangri-la Hotels

Is this proper place to discuss, ask questions, etc. regarding Golden Circle frequent guest program of Shangri-la Hotels? :confused:

Wilbur May 12, 2006 8:22 pm

Sure! What would you like to discuss?

747LWW May 13, 2006 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Wilbur
Sure! What would you like to discuss?

Sorry I am just getting back to the board. I wondered if anyone has experience with reguesting upgrades at one of the Shangri-la properties in Hong Kong (Elite level Goldern Circle member.) Do you stand a good chance of getting upgraded from less expensive rooms (say $US350/night) to suites, harbor views, etc.
Thanks so much for any suggestions, recommendations, experiences.
LWW

Muckus May 17, 2006 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by 747LWW
Sorry I am just getting back to the board. I wondered if anyone has experience with reguesting upgrades at one of the Shangri-la properties in Hong Kong (Elite level Goldern Circle member.) Do you stand a good chance of getting upgraded from less expensive rooms (say $US350/night) to suites, harbor views, etc.
Thanks so much for any suggestions, recommendations, experiences.
LWW

I have another Gloden Circle question. I have never stayed at Shangri-La, but I will be at one location for 7 nights next month and another for 6 nights in August. I will likely end up spending 5-10 more nights at their hotels before year's end. My question is: how do I sign up for the Golden Circle club? Their website says it is "invitation only" after you have done multiple stays at the same hotel. Do I really have to wait, or will they just sign me up once I check in at the first hotel?

Thanks in advance for any counsel you can offer!

chgoeke May 17, 2006 10:36 pm

You can find some infos on their webside
https://www.shangri-la.com/gc/faq/en/

Some years back when I enrolled you have just to fill up a form on their webpage

ThirtyOne May 19, 2006 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Muckus
I have another Gloden Circle question. I have never stayed at Shangri-La, but I will be at one location for 7 nights next month and another for 6 nights in August. I will likely end up spending 5-10 more nights at their hotels before year's end. My question is: how do I sign up for the Golden Circle club? Their website says it is "invitation only" after you have done multiple stays at the same hotel. Do I really have to wait, or will they just sign me up once I check in at the first hotel?

The first time I signed up, I did so with a pamphlet in their lobby. The second time, they signed me up automatically as part of the check-in process when I handed over my Aeroplan card for mileage accumulation.

The reason for signing up twice was that the first account was cancelled pretty quickly for inactivity. I think I had about 1 year in between stays at a Shangri-La resort, so the membership lapsed in the meantime. Starwood is also like that to discourage non-frequent guests, I suppose.

Wilbur May 21, 2006 8:25 pm

747 - I don't have any experience in HK with the Shangri-La any more recent than ten years, so I am sorry that I cannot give you an answer.

Muckus - Go ahead and express an interest in joining GC when you check in, and the desk will probably sign you up on the spot. GC is a good program for upgrades once you reach the elite levels, but as ThirtyOne says above, they will cancel you sharpish if you fail to get to Asia for a stay in one of their hotels for a while.

Muckus May 22, 2006 12:05 pm

747 - I don't have any experience in HK with the Shangri-La any more recent than ten years, so I am sorry that I cannot give you an answer.

Muckus - Go ahead and express an interest in joining GC when you check in, and the desk will probably sign you up on the spot. GC is a good program for upgrades once you reach the elite levels, but as ThirtyOne says above, they will cancel you sharpish if you fail to get to Asia for a stay in one of their hotels for a while.

Thank you!

747LWW May 23, 2006 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Muckus

Hi Muckus!
Well, I have been off the board for the seven days while I stayed at Shangri-La "Rasa Sentosa Resort" (4 days) and 3 days at Traders Hotel (the Sangri-La less expensive but exceptionaly nice chain property) ---all in Singarpore. Really, all of their properties, IMHO, that I have visited over the past 5 years are really outstanding, the employees make it a point to learn your name and will remember you, the facilities are safe and clean, as you would expect of 4 and 5 star properties, their service is exceptional, etc.
What is quite important is that as a Golden Cirlce member you qualify for their "upgrade" status. Thus, if I remember correctly , when I first joined some years ago, I paid $25 to become a member. Today, I think it is by invitation only and they require that you have stayed at least one night at one Shangri-la before they accept you .BUT ASK IF YOU CAN JOIN "NOW" So, if you must, stay your first night night at a Shangri-la and if they refuse your application/interst in Golden Circle SPEND THE NEXT NIGHT IN ANY HOTEL. Upon your return to Shangir-la hotel the following night , you will be advised that you are able to join the Golden Circle.

Thereafter, you will have a great range of benefits including reduced cost of bookings, free breakfast, free newpapers, etc. If you stay at least a minimum of only 20 nights/year you become an "Executive Level" member. Even more benefits are yours! At the 60 night/year level Elite level, you sky is the limit!

The program has changed a bit over the past few years but I think it is one of the best frequent guest programs if your goal is to get a suite for the price of a standard room! Now other chains offer free nights, etc. but what differentiates Traders/Shangri-La is that you get personalized, friendly, "sincere" respect and treatment from the General Manager to the "bell boy" every time you stay at one of their properties, professional security, a nice room, and for me, an upgrade from a "standard" room, say 40 square meters ---to a two room suite with about 80 square meters (unless all are already booked) at an additional cost of only about $25-75!!!!!!!!!!!!!(Elite Level) Plus you gain admintance to the "Club Level" floors , club rooms, etc.

I am a member of several national hotel chain "clubs" and this is the best I have found for my needs. If you are looking for a "free" room...which I am not because I travel too much already, then perhaps another goupe might meet your needs. But if you are looking for usscale rooms at an attractive prive, with a guaranteed availability for 3 days notice, a personal greeting and meeting with the General Manager, etc. this is the program that I prefer over the TOP levels of Marriott, Hyatt, etc. that I am still a member of.

If you have any questions, send me a PM and I will try to help you with names and address of key employees in key cities where I stay about 70 days a year.

Best regards
LWW

747LWW May 23, 2006 9:11 pm

Thanks my friend.... please see my reply to others for some recent information on this topic.

Your friend
LWW

747LWW May 23, 2006 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by ThirtyOne
The first time I signed up, I did so with a pamphlet in their lobby. The second time, they signed me up automatically as part of the check-in process when I handed over my Aeroplan card for mileage accumulation.

The reason for signing up twice was that the first account was cancelled pretty quickly for inactivity. I think I had about 1 year in between stays at a Shangri-La resort, so the membership lapsed in the meantime. Starwood is also like that to discourage non-frequent guests, I suppose.

Hi ThirtyOne

I do not know what your experience is with the two chains you mentioned but for me, Shangri-la is my preferred group. I am a member of Starwood and I like them for what they offer but in my view in the Far East, at least, they are less of a host than Shangri-la.

What are your views?

Regards
LWW

ThirtyOne May 23, 2006 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by 747LWW
Hi ThirtyOne

I do not know what your experience is with the two chains you mentioned but for me, Shangri-la is my preferred group. I am a member of Starwood and I like them for what they offer but in my view in the Far East, at least, they are less of a host than Shangri-la.

What are your views?

Regards
LWW

I love Shangri-La. When in South East Asia for vacation, we almost always head for one of their resorts. One of the absolute jewels is the Rasa Ria resort in Sabah, Malaysia. Its a fantastic property. Went there in early January with the family and the in-laws.

I think Shangri-La is a fantastic chain, with some of the best service in the world, though my experiences are limited to their resort properties. That is, I've never stayed in one of their city hotels, but I imagine the level of service carries through.

Starwood is such a huge chain, with such diverse properties that it is difficult to generalise. One Sheraton can be great, while another can be terrible. The same goes for all the different brands within the Starwood tent.

I think in many ways it is a cultural trait with Shangri-La. There definitely seems to be a great sense of pride from all the staff in keeping the property looking good, operating well, and making sure that every customer is satisfied and content. I find a similar attitude with some Asian airlines. Particularly with Malaysia Airlines, where excellent service is the ultimate goal. It is not just enough to have a satisfied customer, they want that customer to have the best flight/hotel stay they've ever had. It is no coincidence that when we talk about the best airlines in the world (in terms of service), they are all invariably Asian carriers (CX, SQ, MH). And when we talk about the best hotels in the world, in many ways we're talking about Peninsula, Raffles, Mandarin Oriental, and Shangri-La.

747LWW May 30, 2006 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by ThirtyOne
I love Shangri-La. When in South East Asia for vacation, we almost always head for one of their resorts. One of the absolute jewels is the Rasa Ria resort in Sabah, Malaysia. Its a fantastic property. Went there in early January with the family and the in-laws.

I think Shangri-La is a fantastic chain, with some of the best service in the world, though my experiences are limited to their resort properties. That is, I've never stayed in one of their city hotels, but I imagine the level of service carries through.

Starwood is such a huge chain, with such diverse properties that it is difficult to generalise. One Sheraton can be great, while another can be terrible. The same goes for all the different brands within the Starwood tent.

I think in many ways it is a cultural trait with Shangri-La. There definitely seems to be a great sense of pride from all the staff in keeping the property looking good, operating well, and making sure that every customer is satisfied and content. I find a similar attitude with some Asian airlines. Particularly with Malaysia Airlines, where excellent service is the ultimate goal. It is not just enough to have a satisfied customer, they want that customer to have the best flight/hotel stay they've ever had. It is no coincidence that when we talk about the best airlines in the world (in terms of service), they are all invariably Asian carriers (CX, SQ, MH). And when we talk about the best hotels in the world, in many ways we're talking about Peninsula, Raffles, Mandarin Oriental, and Shangri-La.

Sojourner Jun 4, 2006 4:40 am

Guaranteed Availability Benefit - Is this real?

I was wondering if anyone else has had problems exercising the Guaranteed Room Reservation benefit that Golden Circle Executive and Elite members are supposed to have. I've tried twice, both times running into problems. I've been a Golden Circle Elite member for about a year.

A few months ago, I called the reservation line to request a room at the Kerry Center Hotel in Beijing several days in advance, and was told I couldn't get one as it was fully booked. When I countered with "what about my guaranteed room availability benefit?", the reservation clerk had no clue as to what I was talking about. I asked to speak to a supervisor, and the supervisor told me I had to contact the hotel directly. When I called the hotel directly, got the same response. I again asked to speak to a supervisor, and the supervisor also didn't know what I was talking about. I referred her to the webpage that lists the benefits for Golden Circle members, and finally, she agreed to grant me a room.

Today, I called China World Hotel directly to book a room there. I was told that no rooms were available. I again asked about the guaranteed availability benefit, and the woman said, sorry, the hotel is sold out. Clearly not understanding what "guaranteed room availability" means, I asked to speak to the supervisor. She referred me to the duty manager. The duty manager told me the same thing. I said, yes, but I'm an Elite member, and I am supposed to have guaranteed room availability 48 hours in advance (it was now 72 hours in advance). She said they were already overbooked, and already had 30 (yes that's THIRTY) Golden Circle customers on a waiting list for a room. I said, "then you don't honor your promise of a guaranteed room availability to Elite members?" She said that they only honor it if there are rooms still availability. I told her "But if you have a room availability, no one needs the "guaranteed room availabity". She just restated she was sorry and offered to put me on "the waiting list". I told her I needed to know for sure I had a room, so that would not be acceptable. Again, clearly someone who does not understand the term of "guaranteed room availability".

I used to have the top level elite status with Marriott and used their Guaranteed Room Availability benefit all the time without any problem, but Shangri-La seems to make it either very hard or at least very difficult to use this benefit. Has anyone else had this problem, and figured out how to resolve it? :mad:

Wilbur Jun 6, 2006 2:48 pm

Sojouner, that is an interesting experience. I have had some difficulties getting into the KC and the CW hotels in Beijing too, and I never thought about having my admin ask about the guarantee.

However, I wonder if this isn't a Beijing problem instead of a ShangriLa problem. Some of the performances at the Hyatt in Beijing have been far worse, devious and deceitful in shocking ways, and the St. Regis has seen some odd things as well.