Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

Golden Circle--Shangri-la Hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Golden Circle--Shangri-la Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2007, 7:41 pm

Programs: QF, Golden Circle, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by 747LWW
...consider in particular changes you would recommend Golden Circle and Shangri-la might make make in their policies...747LWW
Well, just right now I'd vote for a little more flexibility in the application of the rules. I'm in the middle of some discussions that I hope will address the situation but as things stand at the moment I have 60 nights in SL properties in the last 7 months and expect to have 100 nights in the 12 months to 30 June - and yet will not meet Elite status requirements!
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Unbelievable!!!! So sorry to here about your difficulty. Please send me a PM if I can be of any assistance. I will be back there in late March so could do it in person then but perhaps an email might help now. Your call

Please advise all of us on this board as to the outcome of your discussions. I am confident that Golden Circle will satisfy you as Shangi-la, in my view, simply cannot afford to alienate top guests like yourself.

Cheers
747LWW
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by 747LWW
Please send me a PM if I can be of any assistance. Cheers 747LWW
That is a kind offer, thank you.

I have raised my issues with the local resident manager Bruno Cristol. He a lovely fellow, very customer-service focussed, who has helped me greatly in the past (as has his lovely PA) - so I don't think it is for lack of his wanting to help. I think my request has just been timed badly as he has been on leave for several weeks and then come back to the very busiest time of the year. Hopefully I will hear some good news soon!
Old Feb 15, 2007, 10:34 am
Original Poster

FortuneofWar
Basis your recommendation, I will plan to stay with this hotel as I will be in the area later this year...of course, assuming that your problem is adaquately resolved as I am confident that it will be although I must say that it makes be a little nervous staying at a property that was failed to satisy a erpson of your loyality to Shangri-la.

At any rate, I hope our paths cross soon and I get a chance to buy you that drink I promised quite some time agol

Cheers
747LWW
Old Feb 15, 2007, 3:42 pm
jhm

Apologies to 747LWW (who really is far too kind in his comments about me at least!) and others for my absence from this thread.

I think I just noticed a change in GC ... perhaps ? I wrote this last August:

Originally Posted by jhm
4 Finally, as I understand it, I can only be invited to join the Golden Circle programme if I stay more than once in THAT particular hotel, i.e. I can't stay in Singapore once and then use a stay in Bangkok to be invited to join. Is this correct ?
and had it confirmed by GC in HK. (Nevertheless, I managed to join GC on my 1st stay at the Valley Wing Singapore (two nights) last August (with many thanks to 747LWW for his help) and as a result of that, was motivated more to choose S-L for stays at other properties in BKK, PVG and HKG (Island) - 10 room nights in total by the end of December.)

However, looking at the FAQs on the GC section of the S-L website, I can't seem to find this requirement anymore ? It says:

How to join Golden Circle programme?

A Golden Circle membership is only available when staying at Shangri-La and Traders hotels and is by invitation only.

Invitation to join Golden Circle will be extended to the paying guest upon check-in when staying at qualifying rate.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Hi jhm!

So very happy to hear from you again! Sir, you are such a gentleman...I respect your knowledgable views of and sage comments regarding Shangri-la policies and properties so very much. YOU are a real asset to those of us who use Golden Circle/Shangri-la.

Regarding your comment on a possible change, I just recently noted the apparently new wording regarding the membership and I recall very distingtly our discussion of the then operative regulations regarding membership. I agree with you that the wording you quote is the wording that now appears on the Golden Circle -Shangri-la site and that the requirements are different than those in effect last year when you were a multi-night guest of the Valley Wing in Singapore.

Questions:

1) Why should Golden CIrcle not highlight changes on their site?

2) Do you support the change we are discussing here and why or why not?

I hope all will comment.

Warmest regards

Lewis Watts

PS A few of us will be in SIN at the Valley Wing soon. I will arrive March 28 about noon and depart April 4 at 5:00AM IF any FTers can meet for a drink, limo tour, dinner, etc. please advise your availability by PM or via the board.
As a famous person was overheard to say once in the Valley Wing, "why not" have a mini-DO? Also, welcome back jhm and sincerest congratulations on winning your credentials for 2007, especially after getting a rather late "start".

Best regards

747LWW

Originally Posted by jhm
Apologies to 747LWW (who really is far too kind in his comments about me at least!) and others for my absence from this thread.

I think I just noticed a change in GC ... perhaps ? I wrote this last August:

and had it confirmed by GC in HK. (Nevertheless, I managed to join GC on my 1st stay at the Valley Wing Singapore (two nights) last August (with many thanks to 747LWW for his help) and as a result of that, was motivated more to choose S-L for stays at other properties in BKK, PVG and HKG (Island) - 10 room nights in total by the end of December.)

However, looking at the FAQs on the GC section of the S-L website, I can't seem to find this requirement anymore ? It says:
Old Feb 17, 2007, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Anyone have any news on the completion/opening of the Vancouver Shangri-la?

Thanks
Old Feb 17, 2007, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
No news on Vancouver, but I do have an interesting bit of GC information. I hit executive level last year with a little over 20 nights at 4 different SL properties. My business partner, however, had 16 nights at 3 properties--so neither of us thought he would get executive status. And yet, his executive card arrived recently. Needless to say, he is happy about it! But, does anyone have any thoughts as to how this happened? I will say that we were both at very high rates at all the hotels (large Horizon Club rooms, hotel car to and from the airports, etc.--although we were not in suites), could that have made the difference? Or, was this just some sort of lucky mistake (e.g. those Monopoly cards that say "Bank error in your favor, collect $200")?
Old Feb 17, 2007, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

No, the "Shadow" must have known that your "friend" was an associate of yours and that you participated actively in this forum. lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Congratulations for all concerned!. I suggest that this is an example of good things happening to good customers (folks) on occassion. For more personal thoughts,send a PM.

Cheers and thanks so much for sharing some good news regarding Golden Circle!

Last edited by 747LWW; Feb 17, 2007 at 5:15 pm
Old Feb 28, 2007, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

DOes anyone have any experience with the Traders property in Penang? I am thinking about spending several days in the area and thought I might stay one night there if others recommend it.

Cheers
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:16 pm
JRK

Programs: CX DM, *G (ASIANA); GS DM, Hilton Gold
Dear 747LWW,

As a solid Shangri-La fan, I have been following this thread for quite a while now - thanks for your numerous valuable comments. Never quite got around to get registered with FT though...

Since you ask about Penang, I never spend time at the Traders there but I have spend some tine at the Golden Sands last year and I will be going back to the Rasa Sayang over Easter. I would recommend to take the extra 45 min drive out to the resorts (they are right next to each other, so location wise it is the same). Last year I got a chance to tour the newly refurbished Rasa Sayang one week before the reopening. I must say, I was deeply impressed and I am looking forward very much to actually staying there. BdW, I rebooked my reservation the other day, since new "special rates" have come out on SL's web page... I recommend you have a look.

Hope this helps
JRK

P.S.: I just came back from the Guangzhou property (soft opening, SL's 50th property). The hotel is beautiful, the facilities will be first class (once finished) and the restaurant staff was definitely well trained and up to the usual great SL standard. Unfortunately I can not say that from the hotel staff, including the GM. Although there was hardy anyone staying there, and we saw him several times there was no personal word whatsoever, which I found astonishing as I was there on the personal recommendation of the GM of another SL property and know that he had called ahead to the Guangzhou GM. In general staff did not bother to call you by your name (not even over the phone, when they would only have to read it - rather than remember) and it was difficult to make yourself understood in English (e.g. we needed the baby bed sheets changed and ended up being connected to room service several times before we could get Housekeeping). Last comment on this short review: Location is near the Exhibition Center, which is still being built. So in short, there is NOTHING around the hotel. Subway station within walking distance though, 30 min to the center. Taxi at least that long due to traffic.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Hi JRK and a sincere welcome to FT! Glad you decided to post and pleased that you made your first one in response to a question that I had about Penang.

THanks for the concise overview of the three SL properties in Penang. You know, I never heard about the Golden Sands property until I checked the SL reservation site and saw it as an option in Panang although I was aware of the restored Rasa Sayang facility.

I have never visited Penang and I look forward to staying there for a couple of nights in April. My idea was to spend one night at Rasa and one at another of the three properties just to get an idea about what was available. I was thinking about Traders as it has been a while since I have visited one anywhere.

Also, I deeply appreciate your taking the time and effort to report on the Guangzhou property. Sorry to learn about the problems you encountered...I have no explaination for these lapses of the staff. As you say, the GM matter is astonishing given your SL status and the fact that another GM was kind enough to alert the local GM of your visit. Have other readers of this thread experienced such a reception under similiar circumstances? I hope not! My guess is your observations will hopefully attract the attention of those folks in SL Management that can review the situation you described.

Sorry I will miss seeing you over your Easter visit....and thanks for your kind words. Also, thanks for the rate alert...I will of course return to their reservation site basis your report!

Have a wonderful visit to Rasa and a delightful Easter vacation with your family.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by JRK
... Never quite got around to get registered with FT though...
Welcome to the thread...the more the merrier.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Anyone in SIN during the period March 28-April2? If you are interested in meeting to discuss Shangri-la experiences and gossip, I am buying a "round" of drinks. Please send PM or use email.

Cheers
Old Mar 10, 2007, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
Bangkok SL

Will be staying at the BAngkok property in a few weeks but recently was warned that it is looking a bit tired and in need of refurbishment, can anyone confirm this or reassure me that it is a quality property. My room is a Traders club suite I think.

Many thanks in advance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.