Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
Were they still on strike? I just visited the UFCW Local 175 page and nothing there has indicated it's ended; most recent update was March 17 indicating the strike was ongoing.
Yep, still striking and holding to the 4 minute rule. The private security guard said there was no end in sight. All in all, it wasn't terribly disruptive and added 12 mins on my outbound and about the same inbound.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Yep, still striking and holding to the 4 minute rule. The private security guard said there was no end in sight. All in all, it wasn't terribly disruptive and added 12 mins on my outbound and about the same inbound.
So basically, aisle selection is up, but they hold you at the gate for 4 minutes before you leave? That's not so bad. I'll use the 4 minutes to tell them about the major depression I suffered after being laid off and how grateful I am to have a job now in this economy.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
So basically, aisle selection is up, but they hold you at the gate for 4 minutes before you leave? That's not so bad. I'll use the 4 minutes to tell them about the major depression I suffered after being laid off and how grateful I am to have a job now in this economy.
Haha, exactly. There are contract guards who seem to be placed there to act as buffers and keep the strikers honest w/ the 4 minute rule. They're very sympathetic to the customers. The strikers tried to flyer me on the way in and I (probably not very politely) told them I don't support their union. One of them yelled "anti-union" (in French) to the others, but they didn't do much other than scowl
Old May 29, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
Looking at renting from National at YYZ T1 in July- their price (using 5760333)
is by far the best. Couple of questions:

-anyone know if they are still on strike?
-I have rented a midsize hoping for something better from the aisle
(I'm not Exec) . Any idea what I might find there in the way of an upgrade?

Thx!
Old May 30, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: Intercontinental Ambassador, Aeroplan, National Executive
Originally Posted by muskoka
Looking at renting from National at YYZ T1 in July- their price (using 5760333)
is by far the best. Couple of questions:

-anyone know if they are still on strike?
-I have rented a midsize hoping for something better from the aisle
(I'm not Exec) . Any idea what I might find there in the way of an upgrade?

Thx!
I have a luxury rental for today, I called and yes, there is still strike action taking place. Will report back.
Old May 30, 2011, 7:19 pm

Programs: Intercontinental Ambassador, Aeroplan, National Executive
So T3 was a bit of a bust. No good selection, but no picketers either.
T1 had a few protesters hanging around by the check in desk handing out flyers - they were nice enough though and didnt pose any issue.

Didn't see Emerald Isle, but Exec had a pretty decent selection. A couple of MKs/z, bunch of SUV's, a couple towncars and 300's also.

Luxury Isle had a decent selection. 300's, Mercedes C series (pay upgrade though), 2011 300c's, 2 2011 Infinity G37x's, 2 BMW 323's(!) with base trim. I tihnk I also spied a CTS further down the line as well. I snagged one of the G37's, which only has 3000kms. The lady that was helping me said it was usually a pay upgrade, but I was "a very nice young man" so just gave me the keys. No idea if it actually was a pay upgrade, but the keys were not in the car. I have it for a month.

The picketers were out in force and we stopping all exiting vehicles for 3-4 minutes. There were two lines of vehicles and it took us about 10 minutes to get out. Was not a big concern for me - perhaps I would have been a bit more peeved if I was sitting there in a Hyundai?

Last edited by bbmac; May 30, 2011 at 7:22 pm Reason: clarity
Old Jun 27, 2011, 9:22 am

YYZ strike over

I see from the UFCW (union) website the National strike at YYZ ended on
June 17 with a settlement with Enterprise. No mention of whether they got what they wanted. Nice to know I'll have no hassle in July when I rent there.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 12:04 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan, Bonvoy, HHonors, National EC
Weekend Rental

Was looking for something with third-row seating for a weekend road-trip.

June 30, 4 pm, T1
- didn't really see much of a difference between ES and EA.
*** except the 3-series BMW in ES. Impressive!
- ES had a Maxima, some Altimas, a Fusion (?? - only saw the Ford badge), the above-mentioned BMW and the token Town Car. A number of Edges and Escapes, too!
- EA had more Edges and Escapes (at least 50% to my recollection).

I have a say that the new signage looks sharp. It's nice to see the ES, EA and ER areas all clearly marked out. The illuminated Alamo signs look even sharper!

Before giving up my search, I took the LINK train over to T3. The ES consisted of three spots, the EA maybe double that. But it was enough: I scored a Pathfinder from the EA.

July 3, 4 pm, T1
Only had time to eyeball the front row of the ES. The BMW was gone. Still plenty of Altimas, Edges and Escapes to be had.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
+1 on the new signage

I picked up from T1 this past Saturday around 6. Aisle had several Edges, Escapes, Town Cars, and two 2012 Mustang 5.0's with the all-glass roof, one of which I snagged!

I've come a long way from my Rondo days...

Returned to T3 on Tuesday and noticed a Taurus on their aisle but otherwise nothing else stood out.

Last edited by Tuneman1984; Jul 9, 2011 at 3:47 pm
Old Jul 7, 2011, 5:55 pm

and two 2012 Muatang 5.0's with the all-glass roof, one of which I snagged!
I hate you Tuneman. How's the Shaker stereo, and 0-60 in 4.x seconds?

Oh, did I mention I positively hate you for getting a 5.0? arrgh.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 6:01 pm

I had a Mustang 5.0 last summer over the Civic hol wknd when they were out of Midsize cars ( 10 pm arrival) Unfortunately, the Ford MYKEY was activated so couldnt really unleash the beast (or the stereo system) to the fullest.

Still, it was a mighty sweet ride based on the deal I got on the midsize (something like $22 per day!)
Old Jul 9, 2011, 8:57 am

Programs: AC*SE100K , HH DIAMOND, MARRIOTT PLATINUM
As a long time executive elite member with national car rental, all of my rentals are markets without aisle that I get to pick my car from. I have a fullsize reserved will I be able to take a care from the executive aisle without paying for the upgrade? I posted this here because im renting at T1 in YYZ.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Klove007
As a long time executive elite member with national car rental, all of my rentals are markets without aisle that I get to pick my car from. I have a fullsize reserved will I be able to take a care from the executive aisle without paying for the upgrade? I posted this here because im renting at T1 in YYZ.
Yes, your status + fullsize reservation entitles you to choose from the Executive section.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:39 pm

Emerald $35 off coupon blacked out

The $35 off Emerald Club coupon received by e-mail
(ND8578ADT) is not valid at YYZ, YVR or YYC. It seems to work at a few other stations such as YEG, YHZ, YUL.
Selective discounting at work here? or is it up to the individual station to decide?
Old Sep 2, 2011, 12:41 pm

August 31

T1

Lots of empty spaces in the ES/EA sections; must have been a busy afternoon.

I can't recall where the ES ends and the EA begins, so across both sections:

- Plenty of Malibus and Escapes.
- A few Altimas.
- A couple each of Town Cars, Mazda5s and the small SUV/cross-overs by Mitsubishi (maybe RVR?).

Also, there were a couple of US-plated vehicles on the EA section (along the row furthest from the doors to the garage area) that had "One Way to US only" signs. One was the only mini-van in the ES/EA area.

I didn't see anything...not even an Edge, so I asked the lot attendant for something different. He offered me an Impala from the Enterprise-signed area, but I declined.

T3
The new ES/EA signage looks good. ^^

But the selection...not so much.

The ES has a hodgepodge: A bright red Fusion, an Altima, another Mitsubishi and some Malibus. The EA had more of the same...except the Ford Taurus with 5000 KMs that I grabbed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.