MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2014, 10:30 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by yerffej201
You should have transferred AMEX points, as they're much easier to collect, IMO.
Transfering AmEx points does not qualify for the bonus miles.

80K Starpoints = 125K aeroplan miles under this promo, or
20K Starpoints = 29K aeroplan miles

I see nothing wrong with this transfer, if it meets the poster's needs.
Old May 1, 2014, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by mech11
How do you know he has a AMEX card.. leave these people alone and let them do what they want..I'm sure they can stay in a Holiday inn and save on hotels instead of staying in a spg property on points.
Old May 1, 2014, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Was hoping for a 50% bonus to Avios today from AMEX MR. Looks unlikely!
I know!!! Meeeeee toooooooo.......

I do need some more Aeroplans for a trip I have coming up, so I may just bite the bullet and transfer my stockpiled MRs to Aeroplan....But I may wait a biiiit longer....
Old May 1, 2014, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by pokee

I do need some more Aeroplans for a trip I have coming up, so I may just bite the bullet and transfer my stockpiled MRs to Aeroplan....But I may wait a biiiit longer....
so either we'll get a bonus june, which they'll announce sometime mid-may I guess, or we don't get a bonus. bleh.

but then amex is smart cuz they're keeping us waiting and we might just transfer without the bonus :P
Old May 1, 2014, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by ValueHunter99
You are right ...

I have collected almost 50k SPG points over the past 3 yrs or so and never found a chance to use them. (I generally stay at "inexpensive" hotels )

I have now stopped collecting SPG via the amex SPG card. The points would expire in 12 months if I don't have any activity so to not risk loosing the points, I am starting to convert them unless there is another way to keep the account active without using the amex SPG card.

(... yes, I do have the amex gold reward currently ... )
The problem I found with SPG was that the hotels were either unavailable, did not offer cash and points, or only had single/double occupancy (and I was looking to book for my whole family). Plus you need the points up front to book anything - even way in advance. I've found the Marriott program works best for my family!
Old May 1, 2014, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
shop.ca: 15 Aeroplan miles per $1 spent: Any good?

Aeroplan.ca is now promoting the shop.ca website.

^ Until May 16, get 15 Aeroplan miles per $1 spent, for first purchase only.

Most of the merchandise available on shop.ca seems to be above market price, or at least it's No Great Deal.

Gift cards? Yes, shop.ca has a gift card category, which seemed tantalizing. But all I see is shop.ca gift cards.

So: can anyone find items on this site that are priced well, or at least prices that are at least the same as market? For anyone still values Aeroplan points at 1 cent, this promo would be a 16% value.

Thanks for your help. It'd be a thrill for the MilesBuzz! thread to have some buzz about miles that doesn't involve a credit card signup.
Old May 1, 2014, 2:12 pm

Remember there was a lot of Amex Gold sign ups at the beg on the year. They are probably worried that everyone will transfer to BA and so am hoping that we will have June transfer....dont think Aeroplan will ever come back....
Originally Posted by pokee

so either we'll get a bonus june, which they'll announce sometime mid-may I guess, or we don't get a bonus. bleh.

but then amex is smart cuz they're keeping us waiting and we might just transfer without the bonus :P
Old May 1, 2014, 3:08 pm

Mind games!!! Arrrggghhh!

But you're probably right! I think I will try to hang on until Sept!
Old May 2, 2014, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Capital One® Aspire Travel™ World MasterCard® at GCR extended

The partial rebate offer for a Capital One® Aspire Travel™ World MasterCard® at Great Canadian Rebates is extended to June 30.

Net value of a signup is $305.

1. Start a Great Canadian Rebates account if you don't already have one.
2. Use their link to apply for a Capital One® Aspire Travel™ World MasterCard®.
3. Annual fee is $120.
4. Great Canadian Rebates will pay you back $75 after a few months.
5. The 35,000 miles can be used against a travel purchase up to $350.
Old May 2, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: US CP, AA G, CX G, SPG G, IHG G, Marriott Silver
Amex AIR MILES Plat sign up bonus increased to 1,500 Miles

Sign up bonus increased from 1,000 Miles to 1,500 Miles, offer expires June 30, 2014.

Min spending $500 in 90 days.
Old May 2, 2014, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305
The partial rebate offer for a Capital One® Aspire Travel™ World MasterCard® at Great Canadian Rebates is extended to June 30.

Net value of a signup is $305.

1. Start a Great Canadian Rebates account if you don't already have one.
2. Use their link to apply for a Capital One® Aspire Travel™ World MasterCard®.
3. Annual fee is $120.
4. Great Canadian Rebates will pay you back $75 after a few months.
5. The 35,000 miles can be used against a travel purchase up to $350.
Great summary of the net value. Great one to churn! Has anyone had success churning this one? I don't recall seeing anything that said it cannot be done because the sign-up bonus is only valid once, per person.
Old May 2, 2014, 7:46 pm

Need some advice from my fellow Canadian FT'ers - if this questions has been answered elsewhere please let me know. Mr prmetime and I are looking at one or two hotel program-based credit cards to provide us with some point accumulation for our travels. We primarily travel to Hawaii, Vegas and Europe at this point in time but would also be looking at other using this(these) cards in other parts of Canada, the U.S. and eventually Asia. We travel for personal trips 3-4 times per year. We are fine staying in 3-4 star hotels but would like to stretch our $ as far as possible. We would really appreciate any advice you have to offer. Thanks in advance.
Old May 2, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by prmetime
Need some advice from my fellow Canadian FT'ers - if this questions has been answered elsewhere please let me know. Mr prmetime and I are looking at one or two hotel program-based credit cards to provide us with some point accumulation for our travels. We primarily travel to Hawaii, Vegas and Europe at this point in time but would also be looking at other using this(these) cards in other parts of Canada, the U.S. and eventually Asia. We travel for personal trips 3-4 times per year. We are fine staying in 3-4 star hotels but would like to stretch our $ as far as possible. We would really appreciate any advice you have to offer. Thanks in advance.
  1. Chase Marriot Visa with waived first year fees ($120/yr thereafter), 50,000 Marriott Rewards welcome points, a 1-nite e-certificate good for up to Cat-4, just spend $1 to qualify. It's an ongoing promo, with Chase issuing new signup offers on a monthly basis. There is a current promo link that expires May 31st, 2014, but it will probably be replaced by another one later this month. Read about it here:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l#post22780967

2. MBNA Choice Privileges MC - apply through GCR and get a $60 cash rebate, on top of the current elevated 24,000 point signup (normally only 8,000)...a no fee card, just spend $1 to qualify. Promo ends June 9th, 2014. Read about it here:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choic...l#post22489372

3. MBNA Best Western MC - you can sign up through GCR and get a $60 cash rebate, but only 20,000 welcome points. Better to wait for MBNA to promo it for 50,000 or 60,000 points (usually not offered at this point level at GCR)...a no fee card, but requires $1K or $2K spending to get 50K or 60K points. Not currently promo'd at this higher points offering, so wait for it to come around...it's been promo'd three times in about 18 months.
Old May 2, 2014, 11:27 pm

Programs: aeroplan airmiles priorityclub choiceprivilege asiamiles spg bw
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
  1. Chase Marriot Visa with waived first year fees ($120/yr thereafter), 50,000 Marriott Rewards welcome points, a 1-nite e-certificate good for up to Cat-4, just spend $1 to qualify. It's an ongoing promo, with Chase issuing new signup offers on a monthly basis. There is a current promo link that expires May 31st, 2014, but it will probably be replaced by another one later this month. Read about it here:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l#post22780967

2. MBNA Choice Privileges MC - apply through GCR and get a $60 cash rebate, on top of the current elevated 24,000 point signup (normally only 8,000)...a no fee card, just spend $1 to qualify. Promo ends June 9th, 2014. Read about it here:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choic...l#post22489372

3. MBNA Best Western MC - you can sign up through GCR and get a $60 cash rebate, but only 20,000 welcome points. Better to wait for MBNA to promo it for 50,000 or 60,000 points (usually not offered at this point level at GCR)...a no fee card, but requires $1K or $2K spending to get 50K or 60K points. Not currently promo'd at this higher points offering, so wait for it to come around...it's been promo'd three times in about 18 months.
I just received an email offer from BW for 50,000 points. Offer expires July 15, 2014. Is there a way to double dip via GCR?
Old May 3, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: Enough
Originally Posted by ValueHunter99
I just received an email offer from BW for 50,000 points. Offer expires July 15, 2014. Is there a way to double dip via GCR?
Only if clicking through the GCR link gets you that bonus...

You could maybe try going through the GCR link, then calling up MBNA saying you just got this promo email and would like to amend the application, but that's quite risky...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.