Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVP Gold
C2-C6 rt ai nonstop 530€

I know its not that good deal, but if someone wants to try that particular flight, its pretty cheap.
Or fly nonstop only on the way back, for 417€, DOJ 396€

Last edited by e30st; Jun 6, 2018 at 8:42 am
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by e30st
C2-C6 rt ai nonstop 530

I know its not that good deal, but if someone wants to try that particular flight, its pretty cheap.
Or fly nonstop only on the way back, for 417, DOJ 396
Even cheaper to fly further towards SE with multiple stopover city option available . Lowest I hv ever seen is 370 ! Best part is if you plan your miles earning appropriately, this trip will (almost) give you another free return (open jaw) ticket to Japan in business (from C3 SE) !

Last edited by wley; Jun 6, 2018 at 10:16 am Reason: Wrong location.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:27 am

The lucky people who did the .it .de promotion, can buy cheap c4-c2 flight and other routes.

I booked it for just 50$. Remember that the best part of the .it and .de promotion was the "merger trick" (I'm talking about the real fusion which could give you up to 63k). I'm giving you a gold egg but I bet that no one did it....

Just take in mind that this airline is scamming people and to avoid to pay the infamous YQ you must add a little trick before the purchase.

As always no pm because you need to learn tricks in the hard way. I suggest to stop to post deal on LCC carrier.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:16 am

Skipping 1x ?

Did anyone ever skip 1x and still managed to fly the main trip ? Heard that some 1x can be skipped but no idea how. I thought about some "theory" how 1x might be able to skip and still keep the rest of the itinerary intact but not sure if I am correct.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by wley
Did anyone ever skip 1x and still managed to fly the main trip ? Heard that some 1x can be skipped but no idea how. I thought about some "theory" how 1x might be able to skip and still keep the rest of the itinerary intact but not sure if I am correct.
Nowadays airlines tell you exactly how to skip in the CoC.
aktchi, andydd and flying_gremlin like this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by jorun
Nowadays airlines tell you exactly how to skip in the CoC.
Somthing like this ?

I copied from LX fare rules:
"OTHER CONDITIONS
SALES RESTRICTIONS/ SEQUENTIAL USE OF FLIGHT
COUPONS. THIS FARE IS ONLY VALID IF THE FLIGHTS
ARE TAKEN IN THE BOOKED SEQUENCE. OTHERWISE THE
FARE WILL BE RECALCULATED BASED ON THE ACTUAL
FLIGHT ROUTING."

What if i completed the 1x. Does that mean the rest of the itinerary will be all good and LX can't just deny me from boarding anymore ?

Another question. What if the fare rules doesn't mention anything like this ?
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:04 am

Somthing like this ?

I copied from LX fare rules:
"OTHER CONDITIONS
SALES RESTRICTIONS/ SEQUENTIAL USE OF FLIGHT
COUPONS. THIS FARE IS ONLY VALID IF THE FLIGHTS
ARE TAKEN IN THE BOOKED SEQUENCE. OTHERWISE THE
FARE WILL BE RECALCULATED BASED ON THE ACTUAL
FLIGHT ROUTING."

What if i completed the 1x. Does that mean the rest of the itinerary will be all good and LX can't just deny me from boarding anymore ?

Another question. What if the fare rules doesn't mention anything like this ?
CoC and fare rules are 2 different things
Old Jun 10, 2018, 1:21 pm

LX can't just deny me from boarding anymore ?
That's a very bold and assuming statement. Airline can certainly deny you boarding whenever they feel like (on reasonable grounds) and certainly in the case if they happen to see '00$ of YQ missing. You may challenge them in court later and might win (or lose)..that's a different story.

I hope you remember Dr. Dang.. he was a full fare paying passenger.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:34 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, Herz Gold, Regus Businessworld Gold
C2-C3-C6-C6i-C1-C2 for <600, no direct trick.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:27 am

C2 - a paradise C6 for less than 500.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 2:13 am

Destination: C4
Miles flown: 14,465
Cabin Class: First Class

Total price 872.95
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan
Interesting Fare Rules

I'm trying to get back in the game and back to Cpe Town. I took advantage of the simple ET trick the weekend before it was ruined. Reading the new African airlines' fare rules from Kenndy, I was disappointed to see no EOE but I ran across something I hadn't noticed on other airlines:

Category 23: Miscellaneous Fare Tags THIS FARE MAY BE USED FOR ADD-ON CONSTRUCTION.

That seems promising, for a trip to the Mother City and possibly for a larger itinerary. But I'm too green to know if I should go run the allowed combination airlines through ITA.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by jorun
Destination: C4
Miles flown: 14,465
Cabin Class: First Class

Total price 872.95
Origin?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:55 am

Destination: C2
Miles flown: 12,123
Cabin Class: Business Class

Total price $ 854.40
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
So well said.
Those who invest little ( 1 or 2 hours for a "few days") reap very little.
However, a handful of members figured out the "hidden key" :

However, it is my firm opinion that unless you also look at it as an intellectual challenge and exciting hobby - then stay (far) away.
WWE,
You are absolutely correct.
In 2010-2014 I was quite active and sharing here on FT. I reaped lots of great trips with 3rd strikes...remember the Caymans? Had many tickets but never flew there! But the time commitment was very demanding to keep up with the latest loopholes and tricks. If you even took 2 weeks off you would have a devil of a time catching up. Some things, to be honest, I never did understand. It is similar to a few prospectors knowing where the some of the gold is but not all. You will never divulge the location to anyone who just walks up and asks. They are expected to give something back in return...a sharing situation.
That said, it was tiring and I suppose I make enough money by working very hard at my job that the savings weren't worth the time invested. Plus, owning and running a busy architectural practice demands my time much more. I just couldn't keep up the hobby of hacking fares anymore. I miss the SFO-EZE RT flights for US$230. The adrenaline from the rush of finding a trick was awesome. I miss that too.
Xyzzy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.