FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:04 pm
x1achilles

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
So well said.
Those who invest little ( 1 or 2 hours for a "few days") reap very little.
However, a handful of members figured out the "hidden key" :

However, it is my firm opinion that unless you also look at it as an intellectual challenge and exciting hobby - then stay (far) away.
WWE,
You are absolutely correct.
In 2010-2014 I was quite active and sharing here on FT. I reaped lots of great trips with 3rd strikes...remember the Caymans? Had many tickets but never flew there! But the time commitment was very demanding to keep up with the latest loopholes and tricks. If you even took 2 weeks off you would have a devil of a time catching up. Some things, to be honest, I never did understand. It is similar to a few prospectors knowing where the some of the gold is but not all. You will never divulge the location to anyone who just walks up and asks. They are expected to give something back in return...a sharing situation.
That said, it was tiring and I suppose I make enough money by working very hard at my job that the savings weren't worth the time invested. Plus, owning and running a busy architectural practice demands my time much more. I just couldn't keep up the hobby of hacking fares anymore. I miss the SFO-EZE RT flights for US$230. The adrenaline from the rush of finding a trick was awesome. I miss that too.