Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide to the Milwaukee Airport

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by knope2001
With AS running an E175 I think there's a decent chance MKE-SEA can support both carriers year round. Alaska can serve some connecting traffic at SEA, plus they have a strong following in that corner of the world -- I know people who fly SEA-ORD on AS when traveling to Wisconsin to stay with AS who can now use MKE.

If Milwaukee patronizes SEA reasonably well I have hopes MKE-PDX could be in the future. The E175 makes it possible. Milwaukee loses traffic to ORD when no nonstops exist, and conversely pulls from northern Chicagoland when there are nonstops, so I think it's a real possibility...if MKE supports Alaska.
Agreed. PDX would be a nice addition but LAX would be a better fit to feed their Mexico flights and has more traffic in general. Portland is a rather small west coast market (also for selfish reasons I prefer LAX)
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:45 pm

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that the new Amazon distribution facility in Kenosha played a role in Alaska's choice of MKE. According to a spokesperson with Alaska it was one of the factors in the decision. (I posted more of the story on the Alaska board.)

http://www.jsonline.com/business/new...283982351.html

By virtue of being in Kenosha County the warehouse is actually in the Chicago metro area, and it's only about 20 miles closer to Mitchell than O'Hare, but it is a good marker of how MKE can benefit as metro Chicago continues to grow outward.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Interesting. http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle...288923931.html

Frontier Airlines said Friday that it will hire contractors to do the work of 1,300 employees — about a third of its total workforce — at the Denver airport and in Milwaukee.
Will it even make a difference now?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
The article states it's replacing reservations with Sitel. No word on Airport workers.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:19 pm

Airport jobs at MKE were outsourced a year or two back along with every other station...I think Denver was the only exception until now. The MKE likely job losses (140) are at the reservation center.

The Denver airport jobs are being outsourced to Swissport, and current Frontier employees can apply for them.

The Milwaukee res center jobs are being outsourced to Sitel, a Nashville-based outsourcing firm with centers around globe and work-from-home opportunities. It's possible that Sitel could take over the F9 space in Milwaukee and hire all-new people just like Swissport is at DEN, but a res center is not geographically tied to anywhere. Much more likely is Sitel will use space in an existing facility somewhere cheap, and/or perhaps staff with work-from-home positions. I've not heard anything which says exactly what Sitel is doing, and even some news reports (not a peep here in MKE) which seem to say the jobs are leaving Milwaukee don't actually say that when you dig into the details. But I suspect Sitel's plans do not include Milwaukee.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:45 pm

Programs: Midwest Miles, Early Returns
Knope, Is that the old YX call center?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:44 am

Yup, I believe it's in office space at the hangar.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Yup, I believe it's in office space at the hangar.
And one of the last vestiges of YX goes poof.

I remember the last MKE do we had at the hanger. Nice to meet everyone and everyone was so upbeat then. Sad in a way. And I am not the sentimental type.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by tvnwz
And one of the last vestiges of YX goes poof.

I remember the last MKE do we had at the hanger. Nice to meet everyone and everyone was so upbeat then. Sad in a way. And I am not the sentimental type.
Agreed -- lots has changed since those days. I wish things had turned out differently but such is life.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed -- lots has changed since those days. I wish things had turned out differently but such is life.
In the end Southwest would have been the dominant carrier. If Airtran had bought them, Southwest still would have bought them, and we'd still have WN as the big guy, except we would have probably seen WN and DL flipped as far as gates go.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 8:49 am

The latest and greatest I heard is that IAB is going to close and move to Concourse E and the remaining gates at Concourse E are going to concourse D when the gate leases with Frontier run out on concourse D and E. Frontier will only have one gate on concourse D.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 9:32 am
BTA

Programs: Fly: AA EXP UA Gold MM Stay: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat Drive: Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyYXMKE
The latest and greatest I heard is that IAB is going to close and move to Concourse E and the remaining gates at Concourse E are going to concourse D when the gate leases with Frontier run out on concourse D and E. Frontier will only have one gate on concourse D.
interesting! But I would presume a new baggage facility plus customs and immigration areas would have to be built in E. Is there room for that, and is it easier than expanding (if needed) the IAB?
Old Feb 15, 2015, 3:25 pm

Just read on the airliners that DL is starting up MKE-BOS in June.

From the looks of it, service starts June 5, operated with a CR9

Last edited by kannon99; Feb 15, 2015 at 3:31 pm
Old Feb 15, 2015, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kannon99
Just read on the airliners that DL is starting up MKE-BOS in June.

From the looks of it, service starts June 5, operated with a CR9
Outbound has better timing than the existing WN service (you'd likely be able to make a lunch meeting.) The outbound is a lot better, as well.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 8:14 pm

I have not been in the IAB In a long time F9 had a problem with 320 over there and I think that was 4 or 5 years ago it was showing it's age then and what I heard from ops it's not any better. All the offices that DL used under the Concourse E are not being used now . DL only uses the space on the north side on con. D. Most of office space on D is vancant sense YX/AL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.