Wiki Posts
Search

Guide to the Milwaukee Airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2015, 12:33 am

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
I'm sure that's going to end well.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 3:05 am

For anyone interested, there will be an American 787 flying into MKE Sunday morning for a FAA proving flight.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by kannon99
For anyone interested, there will be an American 787 flying into MKE Sunday morning for a FAA proving flight.
Next time please post something like this earlier. I missed seeing that 787 if it arrived already
Old Mar 15, 2015, 4:41 pm

The Centre for Aviation has posted a new report on the Milwaukee airport. It is all stuff that we have talked about here in this forum, but it is interesting to see it in one report.

http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...rturing-212660 .
Old Mar 15, 2015, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by mizzou65201
This is part of CBP outsourcing the enrollment process to a third-party provider called MorphoTrust instead of CBP employees doing it themselves. The "former location" is still the Milwaukee CBP office.
MorphoTrust was handling the enrollments at the Layton Avenue location, when I enrolled there, earlier this year. CBP is located in a different building, near the airport.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold. Usually WN or DL if in the air.
Originally Posted by mke9499
MorphoTrust was handling the enrollments at the Layton Avenue location, when I enrolled there, earlier this year. CBP is located in a different building, near the airport.
That is also pretty recent, then. A family member enrolled last fall, and it was done at the CBP office on Howell, which was where I enrolled a couple years back.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 5:34 pm

I think the next phase of the baggage which includes claim #3 and a larger greeting area will open up this Friday.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by kannon99
I think the next phase of the baggage which includes claim #3 and a larger greeting area will open up this Friday.

Mitchell Airport's photo
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:47 am

Programs: Midwest Miles, Early Returns
What gate will OneJet use? D27-29?!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Wisconsin
What gate will OneJet use? D27-29?!
That's the last I'd heard, though I'm not sure specifically which one it will be.

Their ground handling needs will be minimal, with kiosk check in the norm. Not sure if they will contract with anyone to have a ticket counter presence or not. However somebody has to marshal the plane in and out, at minimum. I suppose in theory the pilots could have access to the gate and board their own flights, which would remove the need for a gate agent. As long as the kiosk works things are fine with no ticket counter, but you'd think they'd want some contingency if the kiosk fails. There's an 800 number but the person on the other end of the line can't issue a document to get a stranded passenger through security, for example.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
You would need one person at the ticket counter for check-in and baggage acceptance. After cut-off, that person may be the marshaller/gate agent.

Aren't D27/29 those podium jet bridges?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Starblazer
You would need one person at the ticket counter for check-in and baggage acceptance. After cut-off, that person may be the marshaller/gate agent.

Aren't D27/29 those podium jet bridges?
There's no checked baggage service and kiosk-only check, so they don't necessarily need a ticket counter presence. I doubt they'd staff any of their own people, but perhaps they might pay someone for minimal support, at least underwing.

As for D27/28/29, those are the lower-level ground boarding gates along the stem of the D concourse. YX*/F9* had six walk-up ramps for the FRJ/CRJ/ERJ which operated there but the ramp is wide open now. The other side of the D concourse stem has upper-level fixed-pedestal jetways at D34, D36, D38.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by knope2001
There's no checked baggage service and kiosk-only check, so they don't necessarily need a ticket counter presence. I doubt they'd staff any of their own people, but perhaps they might pay someone for minimal support, at least underwing.

As for D27/28/29, those are the lower-level ground boarding gates along the stem of the D concourse. YX*/F9* had six walk-up ramps for the FRJ/CRJ/ERJ which operated there but the ramp is wide open now. The other side of the D concourse stem has upper-level fixed-pedestal jetways at D34, D36, D38.
There's plenty of space in E as well, but it would make more sense to put them in D with the walkup gates. I know the mobile jet bridges are adjustable up and down, but it looks like they're flying fairly small jets. I'm still curious to see how this is going to work. They're focused on IND, the timing out of MKE is pretty.... bad.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by WIRunner
There's plenty of space in E as well, but it would make more sense to put them in D with the walkup gates. I know the mobile jet bridges are adjustable up and down, but it looks like they're flying fairly small jets. I'm still curious to see how this is going to work. They're focused on IND, the timing out of MKE is pretty.... bad.
Yeah, at least at first they are not much use for MKE-based travelers, and they already announced intentions to announce some IND-based expansion in late April. However they have ambitions to serve many unserved business markets between medium-sized cities like this, and there are more than a few of those out of MKE. Although Indy appears to be their first focus it's still encouraging to be the first destination picked -- it could easily have been Indy to Pittsburgh, Nashville, Hartford, Omaha, Cleveland or several other unserved business markets at IND, but they chose Milwaukee. It may suggest they recognize opportunity here for future expansion.

My first hope is that once they get their feet wet on IND-MKE-IND they'll at least consider running IND-MKE-IND in the morning and again in the afternoon so day trips are workable both directions. Something like this would be workable:

0725 IND
0725 MKE
0745 MKE
0945 IND

1715 IND
1715 MKE
1740 MKE
1940 IND

There's easily a half-dozen or more markets at MKE where this sort of service could work, perhaps quite a few more. But so are there from Columbus, from Jacksonville, from Pittsburgh, from Nashville, etc.

Milwaukee travelers who go the night before can use the late afternoon MKE-IND nonstop but they'd likely find another way back to MKE. When traffic stats start showing up it will be interesting to see if southbound numbers are larger than northbound for that very reason.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by knope2001
Yeah, at least at first they are not much use for MKE-based travelers, and they already announced intentions to announce some IND-based expansion in late April. It may suggest they recognize opportunity here for future expansion.

My first hope is that once they get their feet wet on IND-MKE-IND they'll at least consider running IND-MKE-IND in the morning and again in the afternoon so day trips are workable both directions. Something like this would be workable:
I remember flying Midwest Connect's nonstop on the route, leaving a void at MKE, since then.

Would it make any sense for WN to offer service?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.