Wiki Posts
Search

Guide to the Milwaukee Airport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2014, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JustaGoodGuy
It seems to me that there are also several unused Frontier gates on D that could be re-allocated to another airline. There is probably no possibility that Frontier will use all of its gates.
Frontier could easily (and should) just move over to E with United. It seems kinda silly to have them at 2 (or is it 3 gates) at E with just UA (and the occasional AC Jazz flight). UA uses one gate closest to security for its ORD flights, and the other two are the old CO gates. There's plenty of empty space, it just needs to be moved around a bit to make sense. I'm sitting at the SkyClub in D right now, and D42 has an F9 sign on it, but there is no equipment, plus the 4 gates between the skyclub and security with jet bridges (not to mention all the ground level gates.)

My thoughts? Delta is cozy enough in D, send UA to the AA gates in D, and give AA/US, plus F9 the gates in E.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:40 am

DHL

I was looking over at the airport on wikipedia and noticed someone added DHL as a cargo airline. Is this true? Has anyone heard anything about this?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:22 am

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Originally Posted by WIRunner
There's plenty of empty space, it just needs to be moved around a bit to make sense. I'm sitting at the SkyClub in D right now, and D42 has an F9 sign on it, but there is no equipment, plus the 4 gates between the skyclub and security with jet bridges (not to mention all the ground level gates.)
I'm surprised they haven't booted UA out of E and mothballed it while moving them to D or at least C. Those gates in D you spoke of (the ones between the Skyclub & Security) are kinda worthless unless you have one type.... they are pedestal bridges and are the most restrictive jet bridges in the concourse. All the other bridges have wheels and can move freely.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:13 am

Some of the unused gates on E are F9s they traded with DL. F9 could not get out of the lease.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by mkebrewers9
I was looking over at the airport on wikipedia and noticed someone added DHL as a cargo airline. Is this true? Has anyone heard anything about this?
DHL has no lift of their own out of MKE. Located in an industrial park in Oak Creek they could use UPS, Fedex or even commercial freight carriers as needed.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:04 pm

I found Info on DHL on the Milwaukee County website, per the next County Board meeting:

Requesting authorization to enter into a License Agreement between Midwest Airlines, Inc., and DHL Express (USA), Inc., (DHL) at General Mitchell International Airport (GMIA) for the license of cargo ramp space from Midwest to DHL to allow DHL to perform scheduled air cargo services to and from GMIA.

Also found some other tibits including a new wine bar coming to the C concourse, electronics retail and other small kiosks/small stores in C/D

Requesting authorization to enter into an agreement with Taste, Inc., doing business as Vino Volo for the development and operation of a specialty retail wine concession on Concourse C at General Mitchell International Airport for a term of seven years, with the option to extend the agreement for three additional one-year terms. (Referred to the Committees on Transportation, Public Works, and Transit and Finance, Personnel, and Audit)

Requesting authorization to enter into an agreement with InMotion MKE, LLC, for the development and operation of a specialty retail electronics concession on Concourse C and Concourse D at General Mitchell International Airport for a term of seven years, with the option to extend the agreement for three additional one-year terms. (Referred to the Committees on Transportation, Public Works, and Transit and Finance, Personnel, and Audit)

Requesting authorization to enter into an agreement with Hudson Group Retail, LLC, for the development and operation of a specialty retail accessories concession on Concourse C and Concourse D at General Mitchell International Airport for a term of seven years, with the option to extend the agreement for three additional one-year terms. (Referred to the Committees on Transportation, Public Works, and Transit and Finance, Personnel, and Audit)

Last edited by kannon99; Oct 17, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by kannon99
Requesting authorization to enter into a License Agreement between Midwest Airlines, Inc., and DHL Express (USA), Inc., (DHL) at General Mitchell International Airport (GMIA) for the license of cargo ramp space from Midwest to DHL to allow DHL to perform scheduled air cargo services to and from GMIA
Interesting.. Scheduled air cargo services doesn't however mean they'll fly it. DHL's US flying went tango uniform some years ago when they couldn't compete with UPS and Fedex.

The opening of Amazon's Kenosha facility will likely up freight out of GMIA on all carriers. DHL is among the many mail consolidators offering quicker air freight but actually delivered by USPS. (For the life of me I don't understand how USPS takes on the likely most expensive part of that deal and considers it profitable)

But that size facility/ramp area might mean they'll be loading canisters for stuff they're already shipping on Fedex and UPS and getting a lower contracted cost.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:47 pm

Service for DHL started Monday. Operated by ABX air

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...421Z/KMKE/KCVG
Old Nov 6, 2014, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by kannon99
Service for DHL started Monday. Operated by ABX air

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...421Z/KMKE/KCVG
I saw a DHL trailer at the former YX cargo facility.

Seems they (ABX) are flying out between 2200 and 2359 on most but not all weekdays.

Probably just an in route removing/adding a few more cans. DHL seems to have reintroduced themselves to US flying with a modern sorting facility at CVG. 2010 they shut it all down facing UPS and Fedex.

I have to wonder how long it will be before the airport gets noise complaints with a 762 takeoff in the dead of winter at those hours. Cold dense air means loud.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:12 am

I have not posted T100 onboard loads for Milwaukee in awhile -- here they are for August 2014. Remember that loads are only half the picture in guessing profitability, and that August is among the strongest month in many markets. A notable seasonal exception is travel to the hot/hurricane regions -- FLL and MSY were weekly most of August, and RSW, which remained daily, was by far the lowest load for Southwest.

Southwest

97.3% ….. SFO
97.2% ….. LAX
96.8% ….. SEA
96.5% ….. DEN
95.0% ….. LAS
93.9% ….. PHX
90.5% ….. BOS
90.4% ….. TPA
88.1% ….. FLL
87.0% ….. MCI
86.4% ….. BWI
79.0% ….. MCO
78.5% ….. LGA
78.4% ….. ATL
77.1% ….. MSY
76.7% ….. DCA
76.3% ….. STL
76.1% ….. MSP
57.4% ….. RSW

Frontier
97.5%.....DEN
93.0%.....TTN

Of course lots of routes run well into the 90's these days during peak periods, but it seems Milwaukee can use some added capacity to the west at least in summer.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Healthy loads to the west coast. DL might want to look at LAX, and less likely SEA. And, would it be time to try SLC again for them?

WN did a good job funneling passangers through. Why let them have all the fun?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by knope2001
Of course lots of routes run well into the 90's these days during peak periods, but it seems Milwaukee can use some added capacity to the west at least in summer.
Haven't posted here in awhile, but it seems as if Alaska Airlines feels MKE is a bit underserved as well.

They are launching daily SEA-MKE service in July 2015 with E175 aircraft. I was a bit surprised to not see a 737 on the route, but the Embraer is probably the perfect aircraft for Alaska to enter the market.

Hopefully things turn out well for them. With more E175s on the way, it would be nice to see PDX-MKE too.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
It will be interesting to see if Delta enters the SEAMKE fray after this AS announcement.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe2000
Haven't posted here in awhile, but it seems as if Alaska Airlines feels MKE is a bit underserved as well.

They are launching daily SEA-MKE service in July 2015 with E175 aircraft. I was a bit surprised to not see a 737 on the route, but the Embraer is probably the perfect aircraft for Alaska to enter the market.

Hopefully things turn out well for them. With more E175s on the way, it would be nice to see PDX-MKE too.
Agreed I am not sure if the MKE market can handle two airlines flying to Seattle but it is good for the growth of the market. Delta does not look like they are seeking to challenge WN in MKE so I would not expect too much there. I am surprised that no legacy carrier has added service to LAX yet. Delta and American fly from IND-LAX. Additionally American could fly an RJ from MKE-MIA I would also like to see WN add service to HOU, DAL and summer service to PDX. Lastly United could add MKE-SFO.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:51 pm

With AS running an E175 I think there's a decent chance MKE-SEA can support both carriers year round. Alaska can serve some connecting traffic at SEA, plus they have a strong following in that corner of the world -- I know people who fly SEA-ORD on AS when traveling to Wisconsin to stay with AS who can now use MKE.

If Milwaukee patronizes SEA reasonably well I have hopes MKE-PDX could be in the future. The E175 makes it possible. Milwaukee loses traffic to ORD when no nonstops exist, and conversely pulls from northern Chicagoland when there are nonstops, so I think it's a real possibility...if MKE supports Alaska.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.