Reload this Page >

CUN / Cancun International Airport master thread - what you need to know

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Bienvenido to the Cancún International Airport / CUN master thread. Please feel free to add observations and suggestions, naturalmente. And you can also PM the original poster as a way to call attention to something in the original post that needs modification or change. ¡Gracias!

Link to ASUR official Cancún International website in English (mostly useless, lists arriving and departing flights)

Link to fake Cancún International Airport website (useless and grossly outdated)

See post #1 in this thread for more extensive information.

Terminals "Terminal 1 is used by some low-cost and charter domestic airlines; Terminal 2 is used by all of the scheduled domestic airlines and some international flights; and the new Terminal 3 handles primarily international operations of airlines from North America and Europe." (Wikipedia)

Terminal 1: Charter flights, and Magnicharters, TAR and VivaAerobus.

Terminal 2: Mostly domestic flights, some international arrivals from USA/Europe. Aerolineas Argentinas, Aeroméxico, Aerotucán, Air Transat, Avianca group, Copa, Cubana, Finnair, Interjet, LatAm, Southwest, Tui group, Volaris,

Terminal 3: The primary arrival terminal for interational flights from USA and Canada. air berlin, Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge, Air Europa, Air France, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, British Airways, Delta, Frontier, Interjet, JetBlue, LOT, Lufthansa, Spirit, Sun Country, United, Virgin America, Virgin Atlantic, WestJet.

Terminal 4: The newest terminal, some flights from United States, Canada, Europe, and South America. AirEuropa, Airfrance, Condor, edelweiss, Eurowings, Frontier, Icelandair, Interjet, Lufthansa, Southwest, Sun Country, Thomas Cook, Virgin Atlantic, Westjet
Some may be seasonal, see others at Wikipedia (link)

Transport:

Most recommend arranging transport in advance; see the thread in limos, taxis, transfers here. The airport authorized taxis are charitably described by some as a "taxi mafia", and unless you know how to deal with this ilk avoid them. Uber/Lyft is not allowed to pickup at the airport, although they can dropoff.

N.B. Members are reporting lengthy delays checking in (high demand times suggest 2.5-3.0 hours prior to departure) and delays on arrival for immigration and customs, particularly during high traffic times / high season. This can vary according to demand - spring break, Christmas plan for long lines.

Travelers from the USA no longer need to complete an FMM form on arrival, just the passport and flight# is enough to get through immigration.
Print Wikipost

CUN / Cancun International Airport master thread - what you need to know

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 3:35 pm

Advance time for Cancun departure with Carry-on only?

We are a party of two adults and are scheduled to depart just before 11 am on Saturday from Cancun to Houston on United. I have heard that we need to get to the airport about 8 am. Even with only carry-on luggage, do we still need to arrive three hours before our flight is scheduled to depart? Thanks.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Lois Rosewood
We are a party of two adults and are scheduled to depart just before 11 am on Saturday from Cancun to Houston on United. I have heard that we need to get to the airport about 8 am. Even with only carry-on luggage, do we still need to arrive three hours before our flight is scheduled to depart? Thanks.
I second this question, mine is a Sunday and I pray to be upgraded to Business, else I'm OW sapphire. If I don't hear back, I'll let you know now it goes
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
If I had first or business class thru security, I would arrive 75 mins early. If I had elite checkin (you have to check in, even w/o bags), I think 90 mins is ok. One time there was a huge line at security. I was there in plenty of time. It prob took 45 mins. If I was late, I would have asked ppl to skip ahead and I suspect most would be accommodating. So, that's me. Last time, on a Fri in December, I arrived 90 mins early and at 2pm, and there were no lines. Saturdays are busiest w the most nonstop departures.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by nologic
If I had first or business class thru security, I would arrive 75 mins early. If I had elite checkin (you have to check in, even w/o bags), I think 90 mins is ok. One time there was a huge line at security. I was there in plenty of time. It prob took 45 mins. If I was late, I would have asked ppl to skip ahead and I suspect most would be accommodating. So, that's me. Last time, on a Fri in December, I arrived 90 mins early and at 2pm, and there were no lines. Saturdays are busiest w the most nonstop departures.
So you cant go straight to security (or to exit control) even if you check in online?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
I don't think so, because they take ur exit emigration form at the ticket counter and do something with it...I could be wrong...that was my impression last month, but I was checking bags. I may be wrong.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:52 pm

I do think the non-elite check in lines can be very long. I don't think there's a pre-check, bag drop off line. Day and time of day make a difference, so maybe posting this question in the specific airline forum will yield airline specific experiences.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:08 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Originally Posted by ludocdoc
So you cant go straight to security (or to exit control) even if you check in online?
We just flew back. We departed January 3rd (probably one of the busiest days at CUN) Anyhow, we took only carry-on. I checked in online. Then I also looked at flight tracker and our flight looked to be arriving 15 minutes late. So I decided to get to the airport only 60 minutes before departure.

You CAN GO straight to security if you are doing carry-on only. The security line was HUGE but it only took 10 minutes top.

So as long as you have your boarding pass, 90 minutes would be plenty, and in my opinion, even 60 minutes is plenty. They do start boarding very early. Our flight although it was late, they still managed to start boarding 30 minutes before scheduled departure, but it still took 45 minutes to finish boarding and we left 15 minutes late, but arrived right on time if not a minute early!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by smilee
We just flew back. We departed January 3rd (probably one of the busiest days at CUN) Anyhow, we took only carry-on. I checked in online. Then I also looked at flight tracker and our flight looked to be arriving 15 minutes late. So I decided to get to the airport only 60 minutes before departure.

You CAN GO straight to security if you are doing carry-on only. The security line was HUGE but it only took 10 minutes top.

So as long as you have your boarding pass, 90 minutes would be plenty, and in my opinion, even 60 minutes is plenty. They do start boarding very early. Our flight although it was late, they still managed to start boarding 30 minutes before scheduled departure, but it still took 45 minutes to finish boarding and we left 15 minutes late, but arrived right on time if not a minute early!
Thanks Smilee, your post was helpful! We are flying economy class on United, carry-on only, and we will print out our boarding passes before we depart for the airport. We usually just head straight for the security line whenever we fly. I'll remember your advice that 90 minutes is plenty, and probably allow two hours in case they decide to pull us aside for a pat down or something.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:00 pm

I basically agree w all the above. I think 60 mins is doable but may produce anxiety w some. I was told the baggage drop off is 60 mins, for those checking bags.

I will say the shuttle companies all recommend 2.5-3 hours and we had to give them an email waiver of responsibility to leave our hotel 2 hours early, getting to the airport at least 90 mins early, and we were in 1st class.

On the other side, there is some very good, free tequila tastings in duty free, incl some very expensive tequilas, that is worth 15+ mins detour.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:14 pm

Did it this Sunday. We werent able to print boarding passes in advance (ouch). So, arrived at CUN about 1:45 for out 4pm US flight in first class.

The kiosks are the first thing you hit getting there; they form a fence barrier. Nobody seems to get to the counters without hitting the chickins. They are generic (not airline specific). The line was only about 5 people for each one. So, got boarding pass there; had to manually enter passport data as the scanner wasnt working. We asked one of the roaming helpers if we really needed to go to the counter, as the business check in counter was not staffed. She stapled out exit cards to or BPs and pointed us to the escalator to passport control and security.

There was functionally no line there (people in front of us, but barely broke stride on the way to the counter). the customs person ripped the exit card off the BP, ripping the BP a bit (what was that staple for?), and on to quick security. All in all, we were in duty free hell about a half hour after arriving at the airport.

More generic airport detail for the forum. After security, you are dumped into duty free. The aisle through the center, to the terminal, was obstructed by a karyoke group with pom poms and high heels who seemed to be permanently stationed there, forcing us off the road and into the reeds between displays of toblerones and tequila. Neat trick.

They dont post gates until an hour before departure, so all are compelled to linger in the food court area or guess a gate.

since I didnt make it to the ticket desk, I didnt see whether being US gold, OW sapphire, traveling in first class would have gained us lounge entry. Looks like not, the best I can tell from the websites was that outbound from the US in C/F you get lounge access only to MEX in North America (maybe the NYC/LAX premium route too, I forget). The lounges in CUN seem to be private, not alliance run, at least in T3 where we were.

Last edited by ludocdoc; Mar 17, 2015 at 7:20 pm
Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:08 pm

Last Saturday I used a Delta eboarding pass at Cancun. I had carry on only and did online checkin via smartphone on shuttle to airport. Security had no problems with it but was paged at gate to view actual passport. Regular checkin kiosks were pretty backed up so just another option for those of us traveling light and minimize airport time.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by madison8
Last Saturday I used a Delta eboarding pass at Cancun. I had carry on only and did online checkin via smartphone on shuttle to airport. Security had no problems with it but was paged at gate to view actual passport. Regular checkin kiosks were pretty backed up so just another option for those of us traveling light and minimize airport time.
Good to know; gracias for sharing your experience.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:10 pm

Hey all, I browsed the thread a bit but didn't notice anything definitive re priority security lanes. Anything for ow sapphire on aa?

Planning to arrive 2 hrs prior for a 6am flight. Is that enough? Is it a zoo at that time?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:05 pm

Spring break is a mess in Cancun. Usually without priority line access (and I don't know whether you will have it), I recommend at least 2.5 hours particularly if flying on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday. But what with a 6 am flight my gut says 2 hours should be enough. Waiting area for international flights is not bad so a few extra minutes there will go easily enough.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KyRoamer
Spring break is a mess in Cancun. Usually without priority line access (and I don't know whether you will have it), I recommend at least 2.5 hours particularly if flying on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday. But what with a 6 am flight my gut says 2 hours should be enough. Waiting area for international flights is not bad so a few extra minutes there will go easily enough.
I agree with this 2.5 hour suggestion on busy days. We flew out of CUN at 1:30pm CST yesterday, arriving 2.5 hours early. We had to check bags and did not have boarding passes printed off in advance, so we only had about 30 minutes to spare before boarding started.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.