Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2002, 12:45 pm

Poor Housekeeping at the Renaissance Amsterdam

Mrs Parra and I have just returned from a very disappointing stay at the Amsterdam Renaissance. My first impression of the hotel was that it was built in the early 80’s and has not been decorated since. I had requested a non-smoking room and was given a room on the 2nd floor. Once in the room I went into the bathroom and noticed that there were streaks of brown stuff on the toilet seat. I presumed the worse and phoned down to the front desk to advise them. They offered to send housekeeping up to clean the toilet seat. I said NO WAY. They gave me another room on the same floor. This room had a non-flushing toilet, a brown/green crusty thing on the pillow and pubic hair on the sheets. I went down to the front desk and explained the problem. This time I was moved to a room on the club level, but it was a very smelly smoking room, and I was given a tin of cookies as a “sorry”. The front desk advised that they only have 5 non-smoking rooms in the property.

I was only in Amsterdam for 1 night and I wasted over an hour going from room to room. Is it worth writing to HQ to ask for some form of compensation for a ruined short break?
Old Sep 17, 2002, 2:15 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> This room had a brown/green crusty thing on the pillow</font>
Sounds a lot like the standard Marriott carpet

I would think a moderate amount of MR points would be fair; smoking in Europe in unfortunately a widespread habit, and a true non-smoking room harder to come by than in the US.

I had no complaints about my previous stays at this hotel, especially considering the Priceline rate paid. At the normal rate however, I agree it is not an especially attractive property.
Old Sep 20, 2002, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
We stayed at the hotel a month ago -on the club floor- and everything was just perfect. My only complaint was that liquor is not available in the club. Everything we saw was spotless and the staff very friendly snd helpful. I have heard some complaints before about the non-club floor rooms.

Old Sep 23, 2002, 10:43 am

We were promised free cocktails in the club lounge but all they had was some cheap wine and Heineken.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 10:15 pm

There are no cocktails in the club. You can't even buy them. Only wine and beer.
Old Dec 7, 2002, 8:23 am

Programs: United 1K
Marriott Amsterdam

I'm staying at the Marriott Amsterdam in 2 weeks and requesting how the hotel compares to other Marriott's.
Old Dec 7, 2002, 8:43 am

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
Long time since I stayed. Great location in Central Amsterdam, and that's what matters most-- typical European Marriott, smallish rooms, ok facilities, very good breakfast IIRC...

Old Dec 7, 2002, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
One room (I think it's 1025) has a nice balcony.

Bruce
Old Dec 7, 2002, 11:40 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Marriott Amsterdam

- I stayed one night; got a good weekend-rate (booked via web - so the hotel had my profile with status)
- upgrade to the lounge level. The room was nice, new and - as usual with Marriott - very functual.
- platinum amenity: water, chocolate, fruit basket, cashew nuts
- lounge: offers a varienty of soft drinks, you've to pay for alcoholic beverages, breakfast was quite good for a lounge
I arrived early in the morning (10.00am). The room was already prepared. The service was superb in the hotel.
Express check-out worked very well: my bill was correct - so I could leave without going to the cashier.

As already mentioned in older threads: the location of the hotel is very good:
- Public transport is 50m in front of the hotel
- Leidseplein offers a variety of night live (actually there are two interesting night live destricts: Leidseplein and Jordaan)
- Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum are in walking distance (5-10min)

Thumbs up for my stay. I'll return.
Old Dec 7, 2002, 12:08 pm
Patron

LH738 quoted: platinum amenity: water, chocolate, fruit basket, cashew nuts

Just as a reminder:
There is an option to choose between the Platinum Arrival Gift (Complimentary refreshments delivered to your guestroom upon arrival. Available at participating Marriott Hotels, Resorts and Suites; Renaissance Hotels, Resorts and Suites; and Marriott Conference Center locations) and 500 MR points.

However, the Platinum Arrival Gift 500 bonus points option is available only to point earning Marriott Rewards Platinum members staying at Marriott Hotels, Resorts & Suites and Renaissance Hotels, Resorts & Suites in North America. Members earning miles can not choose the 500 bonus points. International hotels, and hotels located in Hawaii will begin offering the 500 bonus points option January 1, 2003.

Old Dec 9, 2002, 3:59 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
I'm going to be at this hotel on an award stay. Wondering if there's a way to get lounge access; obviously an upgrade would be preferred, but I wouldn't rule out paying for access. Has anyone had experience trying? I should mention that I only have Silver Elite status with Marriott.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 10:44 pm

As you may have guessed from reading the other replies, this hotel is a typical Marriott, but nobody has mentioned that the bathrooms have heat lamps!
Old Dec 29, 2002, 11:10 am

Renaissance Amsterdam Breakfast War !

Guys,

I just got back from a stay in the AMS Renaissance, not a bad place.

I found the room much roomier then the AMS Marriott, this hotel is also better located.

The lounge was closed for the holiday season, so I got a voucher for a free breakfast downstairs...sounds like good news, no ?

I got to breakfast around 10:00 am, peak time on a Sunday. All waiters were running like crazy and getting more and more nervous. After 5 mins waiting time I got a table assigned, which was still dirty. A couple of waiters were cleaning tables, and it looked like they were all stressed up. 5 mins later it happened: One of them dropped a tray which carried left-overs of a 6-person table. Everything, including half-full glasses of juice and coffee went onto the floor, about 1 mtr away from where I was seated. The waiter went bezerk. He started shouting loudly at his colleague that instead of 'wandering around', he should really be cleaning tables like he was doing. he also mentioned he did not have 4 arms to clean all tables himself. I couldn't help starting to laugh with this rather 'silly' remark, since he just dropped a whole plate.

Then secondly the guy comes by and asks for my room number: I explain him calmly that my coupon entitles me to a free breakfast. The guy says it's ok, but still notes my room nr.

At check-out I noticed that the jerk had put a 20 EUR charge on my bill, I complained and it was swiftly removed.

I am a Gold member (used to be Platinum) and have never ever witnessed such an incident between staff at a Marriott.

Cheers,

Jan
Old Dec 29, 2002, 12:50 pm

Ahhh the Holiday Spirit!!!
Old Dec 29, 2002, 9:35 pm

It happens at times even at the best of restaurants, Wc found the Renaissance AMS very nice, although we stayed on the club level. Only complaint was that absolutely NO liquor was available in the club. Wine only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.