Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2002, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pitflyer:
Is it walking distance from the Centraal station in Amsterdam?</font>
Not really -- about a 30 minute walk, but there are a number of trams (4, 5 and a couple of others I believe) that run very frequently. The hotel is in a nice but somewhat touristy area (Overtoom)
Old Jan 7, 2002, 7:09 pm
GG

We've been there several times, although it's been a while since our last visit. Super luxe it isn't, but it's nice enough, and the staff is very good.

As far as distance to the Centraal Station, it depends. I'd say yes, in that we have ended up there by walking from the Marriott, but if arriving by train with luggage, even just a rollaboard, I wouldn't want to have to walk, especially in cold weather. I'd plan on taking a tram or taxi.

------------------
The Delta Flyers' Guide
Old Jan 7, 2002, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
This hotel has one of the very best locations possible for a tourist. It is adjacent to the Leidseplein, which is a center for clubs and restaurants and, during nice weather, is the site of performance artists, not so performance artists, whatever.
It is really in the center of tourist Amsterdam because it is only a short walk to the most important museums (Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh), the Concertgebouw, and the most fashionable shopping at PC Hoofstraat.
It has an excellent concierge lounge with much better than average Marriott club food and bright young attendants who can tell you whatever you need to know about the city.
However, if you are using Marriott points and need to be near Centraal Station, you can stay at the Renaissance. This hotel is not otherwise as well located as the Marriott but has a good health club and also a very good Concierge Lounge. It is also near much of the middle and low brow shopping and entertainment, such as the redlight district and some department stores.
If you do a few more searches, I am sure that you will find quite a bit of conversation on this board about Amsterdam.
Old Jan 8, 2002, 7:09 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I agree with the above! And I liked the place!
Old Jan 8, 2002, 8:39 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Thanks for the tips. We'll probably just take the KLM bus since it apparently stops nearby (the hotel website says that) and it's not that expensive. I'm staying on a Priceline stay, actually, and I'm just hoping that my Platinum status will still get me access to the lounge. However, Marriott's are usually pretty stingy on Priceline stays so I'm not betting on it.
Old Jan 8, 2002, 9:56 am

A caution on the KLM bus: it makes **lots** of stops. If the place you're going is near the beginning of the route, it's not a big deal; if it's toward the end of the route, it can be really irritating.

As an alternative, consider taking the train from the airport to Centraal Station, then a taxi to the Marriott.
Old Jan 8, 2002, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If you want something close to Centraal, try the Renaissance. The Marriott is better if you wish to be close to the Rijksmuseum.

The Ren is a few stops via the airport bus route, but if there are few travelers, it's pretty quick.
Old Jan 8, 2002, 10:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
The KLM bus is a good option for this hotel. While it made some en route stops, it wasn't overly slow and was a pleasant ride. The hotel has a great location. Upon arrival at the hotel, you'll find a very good staff to assist you.

The rooms are textbook Marriott. Thin mattresses and green carpeting. Nice, clean, comfortable-- just not luxurious. The in-room minibar is reasonably priced.

The restaurant is good. The breakfast buffet is delicious, but expensive.

Please see also:
My review @biddingfortravel.com

As far as other tips, if you're going to be visiting several museums, definitely purchase the museum jaarkaart (annual pass). The card affords you complimentary admission into nearly every musuem in the Netherlands. You'll need a passport photo to attach to the card. It can be purchased at several participating museums and at the tourist info centers.

The Heineken Experience is very near the hotel. Simply exit the hotel, turn right, and walk down the street about 1km. It isn't the greatest of attractions, but does offer three Heinekens, a tin can with a glass inside, and a pamphlet with admission.

Make sure you visit the Anne Frank Huis (Anne Frank House), Van Gohmusuem, Rijksmuseum (National Museum), and Museum Van Loon (a museum offering a look at a traditional canal house).

Enjoy a rijsttafel feast (a service of many small Indonesian dishes). A budget lunch at an automat or a falafel stand is also a must.

Don't forget to catch up on FlyerTalk at easyInternetCafe.

[This message has been edited by TransWorldOne (edited 01-09-2002).]
Old Jan 9, 2002, 4:24 am

Have stayed at the Marriott twice, and agree with what TransWorldOne said. Also, there's an excellent Italian restaurant across the street from the hotel.

For more info, see: http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/000171.html

Apparently some folks have had success getting the AMS Marriott for $60-65 with Priceline bids.

If this is your first trip to AMS, the Anne Frank House & Van Gogh Museum are absolute 'musts'.

[This message has been edited by shadow (edited 01-09-2002).]
Old Jan 9, 2002, 9:39 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
It took me a bit more since I only had $15 bonus money total over four nights ($3.75 a night) while those folks posting had $10 a night for up to 10 nights. I am pleased to report however that the Priceline rate at the hotel still seems to be 99 Euros, including VAT -- figuring backwards from the tax charged to me. I got it for $81+tax a night, could have gotten it for $80+tax a night, and if you had the full $5 bonus a night, you could get it for $79+tax.

Thanks very much for the tips. Like every other trip I will print out this thread and take it with me.

Trans World One: How much is that pass? Can't quite figure out that site in Dutch and Babelfish doesn't translate Dutch yet... Is it still a good value if you only plan on visiting Amsterdam once in the year?

[This message has been edited by pitflyer (edited 01-09-2002).]
Old Jan 9, 2002, 12:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pitflyer:
Trans World One: How much is that pass? Can't quite figure out that site in Dutch and Babelfish doesn't translate Dutch yet... Is it still a good value if you only plan on visiting Amsterdam once in the year?
</font>
"Wat kost de Museumjaarkaart," you say?

under 25 years € 13,60 (ƒ 30,-)
25 or older € 31,75 (ƒ 70,-)

Is it a good value? Depends on the duration of your stay and how many museums you'll be visiting. If I remember correctly, the Rijksmuseum and Van Gohmuseum are ƒ14 each. I'd say if you're just visiting Amsterdam for four nights (and older than 25) it's probably not worth it. If you're on, say, a week's visit to the Netherlands, it is definitely worth it.
Old Jan 9, 2002, 7:03 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"If this is your first trip to AMS, the Anne Frank House & Van Gogh Museum are absolute 'musts'" but if compelled to choose between the two, I'd persoanlly go for the VGM! And I even read her diary in German!

Old Jan 9, 2002, 9:43 pm

Programs: Lifetime: UA Gold, AA Gold, & Marriott Titanium
I think the Jolly Hotel Carlton is a better location than the Marriott. Rooms are smaller, though. There is a Golden Tulip next to the Marriott that I find a bit nicer. The Marriott is fine though, with rather large rooms.
Old Jan 14, 2002, 10:22 pm

The 24 hour Pizza hut at the Marriott is one of the best in the world for late night munchies.
Old Jan 15, 2002, 6:05 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The 24 hour Pizza hut at the Marriott is one of the best in the world for late night munchies.</font>
...or at least it certainly seems that way after enjoying some Super Silver Haze or Northern Lights at a nearby coffeeshop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.