Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2003, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Marriott & Renaissance - Amsterdam

Has anyone stayed at both? How do the rooms compare? How do the executive lounges compare?

I normally stay at the Marriott for an annual biz trip (trade show) in September. As in the past, whether you say you're w/ the show or not, the rates are still the show rates - and go up/down before after, so they're obviously milking the trade show attendees.

This year the Marriott is only offering regular rooms or exec suites - at $455. The Renaissance is offering reg rooms or exec level at $390 - ouch on both.

I normally stay at the Marriott because of location, view, room, lounge, etc, but am thinking of switching to the Renaissance as it would save me approx $520, but don't want to do so if it's not that great. Any input appreciated. Cheers.

Any experiences or thoughts?
Old Feb 6, 2003, 2:45 pm

Programs: Delta, AA
One more question for the pile: These hotels both specify 2 people max...is there any way around this with two adults and two kids, or is a second room (ouch!) the only workable way?
Old Feb 6, 2003, 6:14 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by snackyx:
One more question for the pile: These hotels both specify 2 people max...is there any way around this with two adults and two kids, or is a second room (ouch!) the only workable way?</font>
I've got a reservation at the Amsterdam Marriott for a room with two double beds. I called 800-228-2100 tonight to make sure it was OK to have more than two people in the room, and I was assured that it was (a max of four).
Old Feb 6, 2003, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
I've only stayed at the Renaissance. Great location about 2 minutes from the Centraal Station where all transportation departs, including the canal boats. We had a very nice room on the executive level. I have heard some negative comments about rooms on other floors however. Staff was very pleasant and helpful. Club is medium sized with tasty treats, but absolutely no alcohol other than wine, even if you want to pay for it. We were happy there and would return.
Old Feb 6, 2003, 10:07 pm

Four people in a room at the Renaissance is going to be cozy. The rooms are not large. I thought the room was 'tired', in need of a renovation. We were on the executive level and I really thought the hotel was on a par with the older US Marriotts. The prices you quoted are staggering to me. Unless you are a die-hard Marriott member, I'd shop around.
Old Feb 7, 2003, 9:53 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sfpaul900:
[B The prices you quoted are staggering to me. Unless you are a die-hard Marriott member, I'd shop around.[/B]</font>
Staggering to me too; I can bill out some of it to my clients but not all. The problem is the IBC trade show takes up every hotel room in Amsterdam & they all jack up their prices. The "discounted" rate during the show at the Marriott for a regular room is $286, and I don't think it's available any more. I think what I'm hearing though, is if I have to choose between the 2, to stay w/ the Marriott. Their exec lounge is nice, overlooks the square & offers more choices in alcoholic beverages (which doesn't matter to me since I drink wine, but if I bring a client there they'd have an option) & the rooms I've stayed in aren't tired. But maybe I'll go to the Renaissance this time & check it out for next year since the show occurs every year.
Old Feb 7, 2003, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I've stayed at both properties in the last three months on leisure travel. For me, I thought the rooms at the Renaissance were slightly nicer. I also preferred the Renaissance's close proximity to Centraal Station. Of course, the Marriott is only a 10-15 minute tram ride (#1, 2, or 5) from Centraal Station. The Leidseplein area (in front of the Marriott) is very nice and there are some good restaurants and bars nearby.

Since you are traveling on business, your decision calculus may be different. However, I think the rates you have been quoted are excessive for either property. There are plenty of other top-flight hotels in Amsterdam (e.g. Sofitel, the Grand, Crown Plaza, etc.), so I would shop around unless you really need the Marriott points. If you really want to save some bucks, use Priceline. BiddingForTravel has excellent information about the going rates for four star "City Center" properties (Renaissance, Marriott, and Radisson SAS) in Amsterdam.

Old Feb 7, 2003, 3:03 pm

Alas, all the other nice hotels are showing sold out because of the trade show, but will keep on checking & see if I can get something for less.
Old Feb 7, 2003, 7:43 pm

what dates are these? I might be able to help you out a little.

Old Feb 8, 2003, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
You might want to try priceline. checkout www.biddingfortravel.com

I stayed at Marriott Amsterdam for US$80 last christmas.
Old Feb 8, 2003, 11:38 pm

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
delete

Last edited by tmorse6570; Sep 15, 2007 at 8:22 am
Old Feb 11, 2003, 4:26 pm

Arrival date Sept 10th; departure Sept 18th. The IBC trade show has 40,000 attendees & basically takes up every hotel room in town, hence no $87 room rates that I'm aware of, especially at Marriott or Hilton. Any input appreciated though. Cheers.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 3:37 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
SkiAdcock, if you are just looking for a fairly inexpensice hotel during Sept 10th - 18th, check out www.hrs.com. I found one near the city centre: Inntell Zandaam (sp??) for around 160.00EURO per night including breakfast.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 6:02 pm

Thanks - I'll check into it, but I was hoping to stay at either the Marriott or Renaissance (or Hilton for that matter) for the points & location - just not happen about the high rates. Will also talk to them when I get back (or when war breaks out) & see if rates go down.
Old Mar 31, 2003, 11:52 am

Need email-address of Amsterdam Marriott

I highly appreciate any help.
Thanx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.