Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
How do I make a booking using a free-night cert?
Follow these steps:
  • Check the "Use points" box when conducting your search for availability. You can also filter search results by category.
  • Select a property from the search results and click "Continue" to view available rooms.
  • On the property-specific page, you will see several tabs at the top for various rate categories. You should automatically see award rooms; if not, click "Rewards Points" on the tab at top left.
  • Select a room.
  • On the reservation confirmation page, under "Choose room features," you should see a highlighted box with a note that "You have eligible e-certificates that match your reservation." Underneath that box will be radio buttons allowing you to attach your cert(s) or, in the alternative, to use points.
Can I exchange a soon-to-expire free-night cert for points? Extend its expiration? What if the cert has already expired?
Marriott Rewards customer service will normally extend an unexpired free-night cert by one year from the date of the request. (Some members have encountered resistance, especially if they have canceled the associated Chase card; if this happens, hang up and call again later.) Each cert may be extended only once.

We have no reports of Marriott allowing certs to be redeemed for points, nor any reports of Marriott allowing expired certs to be revived/extended.
If I cancel my card after the annual free-night cert has posted, will I lose the cert?
No. Once a cert is in your Marriott account, it will not be clawed back even if you cancel your card to avoid paying the annual fee.
Print Wikipost

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2007, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Originally Posted by joshua362
Regarding #2, absolutely. Got the same run around with a paper certificate being mailed to me with 3 weeks to go before it expired. Complained for 2 years and never got anywhere with a few arrogent clerks at MR, Utah.

BTW, just got a 9/12/07 letter from Chase stating that an electronic cert 1-5 is being deposited into my account for the premier CC renewal. I can't find it anywhere but it expires "in 6 months from my anniversary date." Why can't they define it and tell me upfront?
And apparently you can't depend on the reservation agent to verify the expiration date before applying it to a reservation--they can make the reservation for you, and MR can later refuse to honor it!
Old Sep 24, 2007, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 2MM Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, and EVA Gold soon
Documentation

Same here, but Marriott Rewards straighten it out.
In August I reserve a free night (using a 34A VISA FREE NIGHT CATEGORY 4 cert, call MR and confirmed I had one: exp 10/07) but show up as a 20,000 point 014 1 NIGHT CATEGORY 4.
Call MR and was told that they can only book it that way, but upon check-in or check-out inform them you are using the 34A cert and it will be taken out of my account. Didn't happen! In fact, they had no clue what that was. Didn't argue (this also happened to a friend of mine as well), just let them take the points out. Just returned home today call MR and explained to them the problem.....no questions ask, redoposited my points.
Wouldn't someone have figured out a better way to handle these "free Visa nights certs" without me having tocall.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 7:19 am

Can't believe in the time since the OP began this thread (May 06), there are still problems booking reservations with the 34A (Visa free night cert.).

I had to call reservations to book a 2-night stay for November. I'm using the 34A plus an 014 (20,000 pts.) for my 2 nights. When I check my reservation on-line it has a notation in red that I have not yet ordered an e-certificate for this reservation. Called Marriott reservations back and they assure me that when I check in and give them my MR # all will be OK.

It would be really helpful if we could "look" at the 34A certificate on-line so that we can check expiration date, T&C, etc.

Very frustrating.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Wow... In a roundabout way, I wish they had stuck to paper certs for everything. I didn't have any trouble at all with either of those - just book a Standard Award online, check the box that says "I already have my certificate", and hand it over at check-in. I just used my last one 2 weeks ago - I guess my next one will be electronic. Hope the kinks are worked out by then.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:30 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
For those of you who have received an electronic certificate, you should be able to find it in the same place as ordered certificates that have not been used yet. The link is here. It is on the Marriott activity page, and the link is on the text of part of the second sentence under the Rewards Requested heading. My paper renewal certificate showed up here, with the date it was ordered. Of course, I still need to bring it in when I use it for an award.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA IK: Marriott Platinum: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by VA1379
For those of you who have received an electronic certificate, you should be able to find it in the same place as ordered certificates that have not been used yet. The link is here. It is on the Marriott activity page, and the link is on the text of part of the second sentence under the Rewards Requested heading. My paper renewal certificate showed up here, with the date it was ordered. Of course, I still need to bring it in when I use it for an award.
Hi,
Your link doesn't work, can you tell me how you got to the page that you are referring to? Or can you repost?
Thanks
Old Oct 24, 2007, 3:22 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Stephany,

A new and buggy Marriott.com was implemented at the beginning of October, about a week after VA1379's post, so that is the reason his link does not work.

Sign into your account on Marriott.com

On the right hand side of the main page click on the Upcoming Reservations >> link.

Scroll to the bottom of the page and your will see a heading titled Unused Certificates. Your certficate should be listed in this area.

If you like you can call reservations and have them attach that certificate to one of your reservations. If your certificate does not appear in the Unused Certificates section, then it should already be attached to your reservation.

In light of the new web site and problems encountered by others, for answers to any other questions I would highly recommend you call Marriott Reservations and ask for their assistance.

NOTE: If you are making a new reservation and already have a certificate or wish to make a reservation and not have points deducted then you must call reservations as the option of already having a certificate is no longer available when making reservations online.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Oct 24, 2007 at 3:29 pm
Old Oct 25, 2007, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA PP; Bonvoy SE
I had a similar problem last week. I made the reservations first, then remembered my free night stay. I called MR and told them I wanted to use the free night stay I received when I signed up for my credit card, and she said no problem and said everything was taken care of, I'd receive an e-mail confirmation, and the confirmation number would remain the same. I didn't get the e-mail until a few nights later DURING my stay, and checked it on my phone and it said I was using 20,000 POINTS for my Cat. 4 free night stay.

Another call to Silver Rewards and the CSR told me that my cert expired 6 months after it was awarded to me (awarded back in March, so I was in the 7th month). He told me I was using a 014 code (20,000 pts. for Cat. 4)... so I told the CSR that I wanted to pay for the room, not use points, and he changed it back and refunded my points immediately.

I didn't realize there was a 6 month expiration on the free night stay. I went back and looked at the current terms for signing up on the Premier Signature Visa and it does say the free night certs are valid for only 6 months, but I don't remember reading that upon signing up. Maybe I was just focused on the free points.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
MR Visa free night cert question

I signed up for and received the (Chase?) MR Visa card back in September. At the time I noted an entry in my online MR account that I had been issued a free night cert. It sort of dropped off the radar screen after that month although I can still see it if I dial back to September. Did I receive some paper cert and throw it away or is it electronic?
Old Mar 1, 2008, 7:52 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
The initial and renewing certificates should all be electronic now. I assume your certificate is good for a standard award at a category 1-4 property.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by VA1379
The initial and renewing certificates should all be electronic now. I assume your certificate is good for a standard award at a category 1-4 property.
That's the one. Thanks.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 8:47 am

6 month expiration

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I signed up for and received the (Chase?) MR Visa card back in September. At the time I noted an entry in my online MR account that I had been issued a free night cert. It sort of dropped off the radar screen after that month although I can still see it if I dial back to September. Did I receive some paper cert and throw it away or is it electronic?
Your certificate will be expiring this month. They are only good for 6 months. Marriott will not extend them past 6 months.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 10:55 am

34A VISA FREE NIGHT CATEGORY 4

How do you find out the details of your cert (it they don't mail or email you anything)?
Old Mar 1, 2008, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by kazakie

How do you find out the details of your cert (it they don't mail or email you anything)?
It's pretty much good for any Category 4 (or below) hotelthat has standard award availability for that day (ie. no anytime awards.)

Just call Marriott Rewards to make the reservation so it does not deduct the points on your account. Or alternatively; you could just book a standard award online and then call them afterwards to make the adjustment.

Also, I have used my certificate in combination with a regular rewards stay (I think i did 1 night points / 1 night visa cert) so it's pretty felxible.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by kazakie

The question is how do you find the DETAILS?? Not how do you use the cert.

I find it pretty amazing there is no induction sent out that you received the cret, the phone #, the T&Cs, how to redeem or anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.