Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2016, 2:39 pm

Yeah, it is probably looks like this because the way they have structured the points pricing, they take into account the 5th night free, so that goes on one certificate and then the remaining two nights on the other.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Yeah, it is probably looks like this because the way they have structured the points pricing, they take into account the 5th night free, so that goes on one certificate and then the remaining two nights on the other.
And just because it shows this way doesn't mean that there are two separate certs generated for the reservation. If you cancel the res, you will get one 7-night cert put back into your account.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Considering that I can convert Amex MR points to SPG points at 2:1 ratio (Amex Canada). Is it a good use of Amex MR points converting 180K MR points to 90K SPG points to 270K Mariott points and getting a 5 or 7 night travel package ?

Thanks
Someone else already did a calculation, but if you needed the Marriott stay then it would be a great deal. Marriott has more airline options for transfer than MR (for example the Southwest companion pass), though SPG has more options than Marriott.

But for Marriott travel packages it is 1:1 point to mile conversion after you take out the 7-night stay cost. Which is the best deal ever!
Old Oct 3, 2016, 8:56 am
kkl

Anyone had luck with a 5 night redemption?
Old Oct 3, 2016, 9:04 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kkl
I've not heard of anyone not an MVCI member successfully getting one. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but I'd guess it would be very unlikely.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 9:39 am
kkl

Bit the bullet and did the 7 nights for the UA bonus before they change their award rules.

Is there somewhere on the marriott site i can see my unused 7 night stay certs?
Old Oct 3, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
After you log in click on my account, account activity, and scroll down.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Originally Posted by kkl
I've not heard of anyone not an MVCI member successfully getting one. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but I'd guess it would be very unlikely.
It has happened in the past (As a non-MVCI owner but Plat MR member, I was able to redeem for one). Some bloggers started posting about them late last year/beginning of this year and my speculation is Marriott responded by cracking-down on non-MVCI's ability to get a 5-night package.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 5:59 pm

Programs: Avianca Brazil Diamond, Etihad Gold, Southwest CC Pass, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Anyone have experience with the transfer times to Southwest?

Trying to time it right.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by bgriz18
Anyone have experience with the transfer times to Southwest?

Trying to time it right.
I tried to figure it out for you, but cannot find out how to go back so far in time on my Marriott account (to see when points were deducted).
Old Oct 7, 2016, 4:33 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
I am new to MR and have just read the entire thread. I am planning a 6 day vacation to a Cat. 6 hotel next March. While I know which property I would like to use I am not 100% sure at this time that the trip will actually happen. I would like to use a 7 day TP for the stay. I have no immediate need for the air miles and have plenty of MR points (via SPG). I do not want to commit to the TP until I am more comfortable that the trip is a go, but I would like to secure the rooms now. Can I move the required 180,000 MR points for a rooms only stay into my account and make a reservation for next March, and at a later date move an additional 90,000 MR points into the account. At some date closer to next march I would call in and have the reservation changed to a Cat 6, 7 day TP with the payment of the additional 90,000 MR points. If between now and next March it became apparent that the trip was not happening I would cancel the rooms only reservation and have the 180,000 points redeposited to my account. Are there any potential problems with this plan? Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by ned
I am new to MR and have just read the entire thread. I am planning a 6 day vacation to a Cat. 6 hotel next March. While I know which property I would like to use I am not 100% sure at this time that the trip will actually happen. I would like to use a 7 day TP for the stay. I have no immediate need for the air miles and have plenty of MR points (via SPG). I do not want to commit to the TP until I am more comfortable that the trip is a go, but I would like to secure the rooms now. Can I move the required 180,000 MR points for a rooms only stay into my account and make a reservation for next March, and at a later date move an additional 90,000 MR points into the account. At some date closer to next march I would call in and have the reservation changed to a Cat 6, 7 day TP with the payment of the additional 90,000 MR points. If between now and next March it became apparent that the trip was not happening I would cancel the rooms only reservation and have the 180,000 points redeposited to my account. Are there any potential problems with this plan? Thanks in advance.
Your solution is very easy with MR. You can and just need to make the award booking *without* the requited MR points in your account. MR is good in this aspect.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by geclub1
Your solution is very easy with MR. You can and just need to make the award booking *without* the requited MR points in your account. MR is good in this aspect.
Can this be done online? I usually just call to make reservation and just ask them not to take points out of my account.

Thanks.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
Can this be done online? I usually just call to make reservation and just ask them not to take points out of my account.

Thanks.
The only way I've been able to do it online is when I didn't have enough points in my account for the reservation.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 6:56 am

7 Night Travel Package Strategy Opinions requested

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Ultimate Plan: Redeem for 7 night travel package with Southwest as airline in early January to receive SW Companion pass for 2017 and 2018.

Currently I have 250,000 MR points and should have no problem getting to 270,000 to hit a category 1-5 package.

But....of course I don't want a 1-5 hotel. Would like at least a category 7 which would require 330,000 MR points. Which I probably can't do on my own by Jan 2017.

So, the choices I am considering after researching different cards:
1. Open Chase Marriott in husbands name. Transfer his 80,000 points into my MR account.

2. Open Chase Sapphire reserve in my name. Move the 100,000 points into my MR account.

3. Redeem for the 1-5 now and then continue adding points to my MR account throughout the year and then upgrade my cert to a higher category later.

Thoughts? Opinions? Other options I may have missed?

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.