Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Houston, TX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Houston, TX

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards, Hyatt, United AA, Hertz Gold
Smile Houston, Texas Area

I am traveling to Houston, TX for business and wanted to know if there is a Marriott-owned resort or hotel (staying with $200-$300/NIGHT) that my girlfriend and I can reserve for our travels.

I'd prefer to stay in the Galleria area. We have stayed in the Westin Galleria (Non-Marriott) hotel but the elevators are horrible to try and get any time of the day and of course being a convention center the amount of traffic (people) that go through that hotel.

The other area is close to the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion because we have a concert there on the 9th of this month.

Any suggestions?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:26 pm

I got a great deal last July at the JW there. Marriott was fine too.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Can anyone comment on the hotels near IAH? I know there is a FS Marriott connected to the airport and a SHS, FFI and a TPS with free shuttle service.

The thread on the FS seem to indicate it is an older property that has not been updated and is overpriced. The FFI and TPS located next to each other seem to be newer hotels with reasonable rates for a leisure traveler. Anyone know if these properties have regular scheduled shuttle service to/from IAH and how long the ride is?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:16 am

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Marriott-family hotels in Houston, TX

I've stayed at the FFS for a one or two night stay. It's a good quality hotel. Shuttle ride is probably 10-12 minutes.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:48 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I am presently at the Courtyard Galleria. There is much to like at this property. This is my first time here. The rate was about half of the other hotels in this area, I was getting in late and leaving early, so why not give it a try?

It is a high rise. My room on the 15th floor offers an expansive view, albeit if nothing special, and is very quiet. The lobby is clean WITH FREE COFFEE!!!! Repeat: There is free, self-serve coffee in the lobby!!!! The staff is awesome. My feather free room was feather free. I got here around eight and was going to order dinner from somewhere, but the non-Bistro restaurant delivered, so why not give it a try? At least it would be fast. The menu is pretty basic, with a couple vegetarian options. Before ordering, I asked the guy if there were other vegetarian options not on the menu. Turns out, he was a vegetarian and offered a few additional options. I settled on a Portobello sandwich, which was here in about ten minutes and was actually very good.

The fitness center is a cut above most CYs. The furnishings are a little dated, but in good order, so who cares? The Internet is speedy. All in all, I'd have no problem staying here again for short stays. For longer stays, unfortunately, there is no CY.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold

That particular CY is a notch above most other Courtyards and rather well liked b this forum. I think it even has a lounge for Plats.

I'm gonna be in Houston soon and booked a few nights at the old JW (despite it being in needs of an overhaul, I like this hotel as it offers great service to Plats) as well as a few nights at the Marriott West Loop (a first for me but the rate was too good not to stay here). Any tips or opinions on that property?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:35 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Muerz
the Marriott West Loop (a first for me but the rate was too good not to stay here). Any tips or opinions on that property?
The Marriott West Loop was my first Marriott. You never forget your first.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 8:50 am
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
IAH Marriott

Sorry, reposted in IAH Marriott thread.

Last edited by Zip; Jan 3, 2015 at 8:57 am Reason: Deleted; reposted in IAH Marriott thread.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I heard a rumor that the Humble Tower Apartments - wedged between the downtown Residence Inn and Courtyard in the same building - is being phased out and will be replaced with a Springhill Suites, making this a tri-brand Marriott building. Don't know when, guess they will have to kick out the apartment tenants as their leases are up.

Heard this from a realtor at a nearby high end apartment building.

...checking news feeds, this is all part of adding hotels for Super Bowl 51 in 2017. Will include a Marriott Marquis and a JW Marriott downtown:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...rts&id=9111811
I'm currently staying at the downtown Courtyard and I can confirm, a SpringHill Suites is currently under construction between the Courtyard and Residence Inn.

As far as the Courtyard is concerned, it's not a bad property. The lobby is remodeled but the rooms could stand a little refreshing. I'm sure the owners have their money tied up in the SHS at the moment. Staff is super friendly (almost annoyingly friendly). However, they failed to offer me a Platinum gift. When I inquired later that evening, I was told that I get both the points and the market item anyway and that I could go ahead and pick something. Pushed the guarantee issue a little but Miss Sunshine insisted I go ahead and select something. Too tired to fight it so I grabbed an item.

The only other disappointment was the Bistro. No hot menu items (breakfast or dinner) are available for the entire week due to the holiday season. I guess they celebrate Three Kings here? I asked if I could get breakfast at the connecting Residence Inn and they obliged after getting approval.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I am in the RI right now. Maybe will run into you at breakfast

Thanks for reminding me... no gift offered to me either. It is the same staff that rotate between the CY and RI and they all frequently forget this. I agree they are really trying to be as friendly as possible (to try and make up for the property shortcomings).

Finding a quiet room at the RI is a big struggle (street noise or construction). Just when I think I have one, I get a noisy neighbor who I can hear through the thin walls. In this case a toddler who wakes up every 3 hours crying...

The SpringHill Suites will open in spring according to the GM.

In other Houston Marriott news:

I mentioned in another thread that the JW Marriott Downtown opened a few months ago. They have updated their rates last month so try your luck with your corporate rate there. Availability is spotty but some openings on weekends in particular.

Marriott Marquis is under construction across from the convention center. Photos on the construction walls show quite the complex it will be. Won't be open until well into 2016 it says.

Last edited by dmodemd; Jan 6, 2015 at 8:48 pm
Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Diamond; Marriott Gold; National Executive
Originally Posted by CJKatl
I am presently at the Courtyard Galleria. There is much to like at this property. This is my first time here. The rate was about half of the other hotels in this area, I was getting in late and leaving early, so why not give it a try?

It is a high rise. My room on the 15th floor offers an expansive view, albeit if nothing special, and is very quiet. The lobby is clean WITH FREE COFFEE!!!! Repeat: There is free, self-serve coffee in the lobby!!!! The staff is awesome. My feather free room was feather free. I got here around eight and was going to order dinner from somewhere, but the non-Bistro restaurant delivered, so why not give it a try? At least it would be fast. The menu is pretty basic, with a couple vegetarian options. Before ordering, I asked the guy if there were other vegetarian options not on the menu. Turns out, he was a vegetarian and offered a few additional options. I settled on a Portobello sandwich, which was here in about ten minutes and was actually very good.

The fitness center is a cut above most CYs. The furnishings are a little dated, but in good order, so who cares? The Internet is speedy. All in all, I'd have no problem staying here again for short stays. For longer stays, unfortunately, there is no CY.
Stayed at this CY near The Galleria the last two nights. Unfortunately, according to the bartender, the restaurant will become a Bistro and construction is scheduled to start in July or August. He says the talked the owner into keeping the bar-area separate from the Bistro, but we'll find out after that construction is done. Coffee is still free, unknown if it will be after the Bistro is added.

Loved this CY though! Cannot confirm if there's a Plat Lounge as I am a lowly Gold. Bed was comfortable, tv was okay, room was nice, internet was quick (streamed Silicon Valley from HBO Go on my phone without buffering), shower/bathroom was nice...will stay here again! Had an awesome time at the bar with other travelers, lots of regulars.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Read an article on the Houston Marriott Marquis that's being built. The 6th floor terrace will have an infinity pool, spa & a Texas-shaped lazy river. Also the ballroom is 40,000sq ft, the largest in Houston. Supposed to be finished by this time next year & fully operational by Super Bowl 2017.

Cheers.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I walk by it all the time during a walk around the park. I think it is topped out now. Looks quite impressive judging by the pictures on the fence around it!

Also to note the new SpringHill Suites is now open in the Courtyard/Residence Inn building, so yup, now THREE Marriotts in the same building. The Residence Inn is now getting rooms and dining area refurbished. RI guests (like me right now) have to go to the SpringHill dining area for breakfast for now. Some minor new food options at SH now.

I am in a refurbished room in the RI. Not much change unfortunately. New carpet, new sofa, new mattress (more firm now, yay!)...however, they missed the opportunity to bring in KING mattresses. They have plenty of room but I guess the brand prevents them from upgrading... why not align with their competition: Homewood Suites and Hyatt House which offer King as standard?? Fitness centers were recently refurbished as was the dining area 2 years ago! For some reason they feel like they need to do it again to seem as new as the SH.

All three properties interconnect pretty well on all floors (if you know where to go) so you can use other facilities if the one in your section is full. There is even an additional laundry room for the SH. They all share the same pool though. However, there is an additional pool on the roof that has been mothballed and could be refurbished if the pool gets busy. (SH was converted from apartments section of the building)

Properties are not very full right now. I think they will get hammered when the Marquis opens. These properties advertise themselves near the convention center but they are about 10 blocks away. Marquis is across the street. There may even be a bridge like the Hilton, I am not sure...
Old Oct 1, 2015, 4:56 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold

Considering their recent price tags, which often are 250+$, no wonder they seem rather quiet...
Old Oct 2, 2015, 11:20 am

Yes, quite absurd. They do still undercut the JW though Really, you have to have a corporate rate to get anything reasonable aside from a holiday week.

I noticed that the joint GM for the past few years has left the property for Tampa. I am not sure who the new one is and if it is a joint GM but maybe there will be some changes once reality sets in?

The properties are run by White Lodging who also run other area hotels including Residence Inn Galleria, Homewood Suites Galleria, and Hyatt House Galleria. They have been known to not be very rate friendly and especially like to price gouge across the metro area during big convention weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.