Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I had called and told no one was available over the weekend. I had emailed them last week and just got this today. I am going to call live tomorrow....
Old Jul 7, 2014, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by nlkm9
I had called and told no one was available over the weekend. I had emailed them last week and just got this today. I am going to call live tomorrow....
It's much better to speak with someone. If they don't offer you the "taste" ask about the "road". With the "road" you only get the benefits after completing the challenge and not during. Better than nothing.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
It's much better to speak with someone. If they don't offer you the "taste" ask about the "road". With the "road" you only get the benefits after completing the challenge and not during. Better than nothing.

thanks for the suggestion!
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Hhonors, Marriott Rewards, Delta
been reading for a while and this is my first post.
just wanted to tell you guys that i tried e-mailing and was rejected and then called and was told that it was indeed a "road" and not a "taste" anymore.

i was also rejected because i've been staying only at hiltons lately because they had the quadruple points offer which helped me rack up 400k in points in one month.

anyways, i am saddened by marriott's refusal and they are ultimately going to lose money - i have a 3 week business trip planned and was hoping to get platinum during this time but i guess now i'll stick with hilton.

i am gold with both hilton and marriott but i got marriott's gold status through a taste of gold last year so i can kind of understand marriott's rejection a bit.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by minor
just wanted to tell you guys that i tried e-mailing and was rejected and then called and was told that it was indeed a "road" and not a "taste" anymore.

i was also rejected because i've been staying only at hiltons lately because they had the quadruple points offer which helped me rack up 400k in points in one month.

anyways, i am saddened by marriott's refusal and they are ultimately going to lose money - i have a 3 week business trip planned and was hoping to get platinum during this time but i guess now i'll stick with hilton.

i am gold with both hilton and marriott but i got marriott's gold status through a taste of gold last year so i can kind of understand marriott's rejection a bit.
They'll only lose money if they can't fill the room that you would have filled at your rate or higher.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by lsumegan
They'll only lose money if they can't fill the room that you would have filled at your rate or higher.
Hotels are rarely sold out for a 3-week period.

minor, did you make the reservation for your trip? I found that when I called (over a year ago) for Taste of Platinum, they had my record and reviewed upcoming reservations before granting it.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by minor

In other words, Marriott is taking notice of the gamers and is doing their best to preserve the integrity of their elite ranks. As someone who has shown loyalty and earned status with BIB nights, I appreciate this a lot. Good luck over at Hilton.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
Hotels are rarely sold out for a 3-week period.

minor, did you make the reservation for your trip? I found that when I called (over a year ago) for Taste of Platinum, they had my record and reviewed upcoming reservations before granting it.
Was going to say the same thing. They will be looking at your future reservations to see if you are "taste worthy".
Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by plagwate
In other words, Marriott is taking notice of the gamers and is doing their best to preserve the integrity of their elite ranks. As someone who has shown loyalty and earned status with BIB nights, I appreciate this a lot. Good luck over at Hilton.

no gamer here, i got my hilton status the old fashioned way....40 plus nites so far.....
Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
no gamer here, i got my hilton status the old fashioned way....40 plus nites so far.....
?? That was not directed at you. The poster even quoted who it was directed at.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
I never suggested that you gamed Hilton.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 6:49 pm

oh, i know it wasnt directed at me... but I did feel badly seeing that......
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I've got a friend who I'm going to suggest goes for the road/taste to gold. He travels frequently to his company's HQ, but literally makes the reservation the night before he flies so it never shows advance bookings. I'm going to suggest he make some bookings for the next several weeks (he can always adjust the specific dates later) so it shows that he'll be staying at the properties & MRCS can see the bookings/grant him road or taste. If it's road I'll introduce the concept of changing hotels on a multi-night stay.

Cheers.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I've got a friend who I'm going to suggest goes for the road/taste to gold. He travels frequently to his company's HQ, but literally makes the reservation the night before he flies so it never shows advance bookings. I'm going to suggest he make some bookings for the next several weeks (he can always adjust the specific dates later) so it shows that he'll be staying at the properties & MRCS can see the bookings/grant him road or taste. If it's road I'll introduce the concept of changing hotels on a multi-night stay.
Depending on just how much the rep can see, they might be able to tell that he always books on no notice. (They can certainly tell what stays he's had.)
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by sethb
Depending on just how much the rep can see, they might be able to tell that he always books on no notice. (They can certainly tell what stays he's had.)
Just because someone has booked without notice before doesn't mean that will be the case forever. If he knows for certain he will be there during the next several weeks he can book them all at one time. The worst that happens when he calls is they turn him down for road or taste & he's no worse off than he is with his current silver status.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.