Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:05 am

Programs: AY Plat, Marriott Plat
Thanks. Given that SPG credit stay/night for up to 3 rooms, this might be easier for me to complete.

So annoyed with myself now for missing the SPG gold after one stay in Asia Pacific promo That would have been far easier than the options I have now.

Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
SPG and Marriott have separate status challenges. You need to be at least Silver to start the challenge with Marriott. Whereas SPG, you can start as Preferred Guest, which is the membership level you get upon sign up. You can find full details on their website: https://www.spgpromos.com/statuschallenge/
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:39 pm

Some here refer to 9 stays while some 18 nights for Plat challenge - which one is it or do we get to pick whichever works best depending on our own travel plans?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by baclubflyer
Some here refer to 9 stays while some 18 nights for Plat challenge - which one is it or do we get to pick whichever works best depending on our own travel plans?
Don't confuse SPG challenge with Marriott. They both have challenges but it is run separately.
9 stays for Marriott from Gold to Platinum
18 nights for SPG from basic member to Platinum
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Flame3601
Update

Marriott Rewards gold line have informed me the promotion is no longer running for golds wanting to have a taste of platinum status , they did imply it is still on the table for silvers. The call centre agent did let me know that a Platinum challenge is available to me but it was something like 18 nights/12 stays if i recall correctly. I also asked via Marriott Rewards Face Book page through PM as i always like to get a second opinion from different departments/teams. They informed me that it was not running for golds wanting to have to apply for the taste of Platinum promo , but did not mention anything about a Platinum challenge that the call centre mentioned . They did go on to say to keep asking within the coming months as these promos come and go.

Hope this helps
This post seems to suggest it is for nights (rather than stays)?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:44 pm

I think the OP is conflating the two types of Marriott challenges with the SPG requirements. While it is true that the Taste of Platinum is not offered to public (it is only available by invitation), you can still sign up for Road to Platinum. This challenge can be completed after nine stays, whereas SPG Plat challenge requires 18 nights. I suggest you visit the Marriott Rewards Insider website - they have a thread specifically just for this: https://insiders.marriottrewards.com...&mode=comments
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:23 am

Hi all new to FT Marriott forum
Just want to ask if I am offered a status challenge, does my booking via OTA qualify for a stay / night?
thanks
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by jclam1988
Hi all new to FT Marriott forum
Just want to ask if I am offered a status challenge, does my booking via OTA qualify for a stay / night?
thanks
Nope.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite and United Gold
New to the forum.... I am a Platinum Elite Member and am wondering if the Platinum Challenge can be used to retain Platinum status??

Thank you.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by kgdenver70
New to the forum.... I am a Platinum Elite Member and am wondering if the Platinum Challenge can be used to retain Platinum status??

Thank you.
EDIT: I got this wrong, according to the wiki. Apologies.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:47 am

how long for platinum status?

I'm currently Marriott gold. If I start the road to platinum challenge in late October 2017 & finish in January 2018, would I then have platinum status throughout December 2019?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:42 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by TravelingRachel
I'm currently Marriott gold. If I start the road to platinum challenge in late October 2017 & finish in January 2018, would I then have platinum status throughout December 2019?
Refer post 2360 above.

If you do get offered a challenge, please be sure to post your conditions (eg. time period).
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by TravelingRachel
It's best to ask the ones offering the challenge than FTers that will only have their experience and/or opinion that may not be reality today.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:22 am

Marriott Gold here. Do they still offer taste of Platinum challenges?

I'm going to hit Platinum based on nights stayed this year anyways, but 30 more nights in Marriott's this months would go smoother if I had Plat status.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
Marriott Gold here. Do they still offer taste of Platinum challenges?
They still offer a challenge, but you don't get Plat status until you've met the challenge (9 stays).
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:30 pm

I just signed up for Taste of Platinum today. It's definitely an incremental gain on having the Amex Plat since it's only good for one level up. Usual 9 stays but timeframe wise they gave me 3 months + rest of September, so challenge period is until end of December. Interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.