Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Emerald Prepaid Card, Alternative methods to load (after demise of VR) for MS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Middle_Seat
There are four cash reload options listed on the Emerald site. The question is whether any of their outlets will accept either credit cards directly or debit cards purchased through a portal with a credit card.

Rapid Reload at WalMart
1. Take your H&R Block Emerald Prepaid MasterCard® and cash, payroll or government benefits check to any register at a participating Walmart (Rapid Reload not available in VT and WY).
2. If you have a check, the cashier will cash your check (Check cashing not available in NJ, NY, RI. Check cashing fees apply).
3. Swipe your Emerald Card and add all or part of your cash directly to it-load up to $1,000 as long as you don't exceed the card load limits. A service fee of $3.74 applies.

GreenDot Money Pak
1. Pick up a MoneyPak® from your participating neighborhood retailer.
2. Go to the register and add cash to the MoneyPak (up to $500 at most locations, up to $1,000 at Walmart). A service fee of up to $4.95 applies.

MoneyGram
1. Fill out the blue form or pick up the MoneyGram phone. Provide the following information:
Company Name: Emerald Card
Receive Code: 4941
Account Number: Your Emerald Card Number
2. Add the funds you want and the $3.95 fee.
3. Keep the reference number that confirms your transactions.

Western Union
1. Complete the gray Prepaid Services form and provide the agent with cash for your load amount and the $3.95 fee.
2. Save your receipt with your Money Transfer Control Number

To use your emerald for ach payments:
1. get your information from the direct deposits section of your emerald account
2. go to your bill (CC) and put that information in as your new payee
3. schedule your payment using that payee for the amount loaded to your emerald card. Posts next day and shows up as gone next day on emerald.

Please add your comments where necessary......

===
From the T&Cs (April 2015):
  • The maximum amount of cash value you may load to your Card Account each day is $999.99.
  • The maximum number of times you may load your Card Account per day is four (4).
  • The maximum amount of cash value that you may load to your Card Account each month is $9,500.00.
  • The maximum number of times you may load your Card Account per month is ten (10).

• The maximum cumulative amount that may be withdrawn from an ATM per day is $3,000.00 per card.
  • The maximum cumulative amount that may be withdrawn from a participating bank per day is the available balance of your Card Account.
  • The maximum that can be spent per Card per day is $3,500.00.
Print Wikipost

Emerald Prepaid Card, Alternative methods to load (after demise of VR) for MS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:09 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by yanxfann
I had no money on the card, however I still hate to lose it as it's been a great venue to liquidate the occasional VR that can be bought with a CC that I occasionally still stumble upon.
+1
Old Apr 4, 2015, 12:56 am
Original Poster

I have not used this card for almost a year, now if I want to use it "only $1.74 using Walmart Rapid Reload™²!" do I need to reactivate?
Old Apr 4, 2015, 10:58 am
Original Poster

I wonder why anyone would walk into WMT to load Emerald for a fee of $1.74 instead of buying MO straight for $1.40? (using Debit/gift Card). Can u use credit card to load Emerald for fee of 1.74? like Redbird, I don't think so.

MO is flexible, Emerald has ridiculous conditions to follow and risk your account being hijacked or cancelled, funds locked up for few months and spend time begging, defending 'suspicious activity' for access to your money......
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Today's Email:
Oh thank Heaven®. Only $1.95 to reload your Emerald Card at 7‑Eleven!
7-Eleven® offers convenient services to help you manage your H&R Block Emerald Prepaid MasterCard® funds while you’re on the go.
Try 7-Eleven next time you need cash or want to reload your Emerald Card. You can’t beat the convenience or the price.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Hyatt, Hilton
Originally Posted by prasha11
Today's Email:
Oh thank Heaven®. Only $1.95 to reload your Emerald Card at 7‑Eleven!
7-Eleven® offers convenient services to help you manage your H&R Block Emerald Prepaid MasterCard® funds while you’re on the go.
Try 7-Eleven next time you need cash or want to reload your Emerald Card. You can’t beat the convenience or the price.
Just curious, what is the relevance of this? I thought 711 hard-coded not to accept VGC?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 46sky
Just curious, what is the relevance of this? I thought 711 hard-coded not to accept VGC?
I have not used this card for almost a year, was hoping Emerald experts to contribute the significance of email about 7 / 11....
Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by prasha11
I have not used this card for almost a year, was hoping Emerald experts to contribute the significance of email about 7 / 11....
+1
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:05 pm

There is no significance, read the email...
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum
..... I'm in a bit of a snafu. I had a $500 VGC lying around and I decided to use my long-time idling Emerald Card to load it. Loaded $200 for two days then $100 on the third. Did the $500 ACH transfer to the same account I've always done it. Payment appeared to clear in my checking, but the next day it disappeared. I tried checking the Emerald Card login, but nothing would show when I tried to login.

I called customer service and they said my account had been flagged for suspicious activity and someone in the fraud department would call me in 48 hours. They didn't. Called back. Same snafu, requested to be called, told 48 hours. They didn't. Called back. Same snafu, requested to be called. Told it was escalated and someone would call me in 8. Still no call, contacted customer service, was finally put on the line with someone from fraud. Fraud said the account was frozen and couldn't access any details until the review team finished. That was a week ago, transfer took place almost two months ago. Have, to date, heard essentially zero as to what's going on.

[Update]:

WHEW. Ok, so CSRs could now see my activity. Apparently the account was flagged for suspicious debit card transfers and then terminated. CSR said the notes were cryptic, but that's the best she could make out. All the funds were sent back to the old VGC which I no longer had. Fortunately I had registered the card, so a CSR at the VGC hotline was able to locate my account and reissue a card to that address. Replacement card will come in a week.

Bottom line: Even a teeny-tiny ACH transfer out from an online debit card load will probably get your Emerald Card NUKED now.

Last edited by tymothy; Apr 22, 2015 at 11:16 pm
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by tymothy
..... I'm in a bit of a snafu. I had a $500 VGC lying around and I decided to use my long-time idling Emerald Card to load it. Loaded $200 for two days then $100 on the third. Did the $500 ACH transfer to the same account I've always done it. Payment appeared to clear in my checking, but the next day it disappeared. I tried checking the Emerald Card login, but nothing would show when I tried to login.

I called customer service and they said my account had been flagged for suspicious activity and someone in the fraud department would call me in 48 hours. They didn't. Called back. Same snafu, requested to be called, told 48 hours. They didn't. Called back. Same snafu, requested to be called. Told it was escalated and someone would call me in 8. Still no call, contacted customer service, was finally put on the line with someone from fraud. Fraud said the account was frozen and couldn't access any details until the review team finished. That was a week ago, transfer took place almost two months ago. Have, to date, heard essentially zero as to what's going on.

[Update]:

WHEW. Ok, so CSRs could now see my activity. Apparently the account was flagged for suspicious debit card transfers and then terminated. CSR said the notes were cryptic, but that's the best she could make out. All the funds were sent back to the old VGC which I no longer had. Fortunately I had registered the card, so a CSR at the VGC hotline was able to locate my account and reissue a card to that address. Replacement card will come in a week.

Bottom line: Even a teeny-tiny ACH transfer out from an online debit card load will probably get your Emerald Card NUKED now.

Well, seems my account is doomed, can no longer access it. I did a debit load yesterday, folllowed by an immediate ACH out for a creditcard payment, hopefully that payment sticks so I don't have to go through the same crap as you did.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by tymothy

[Update]:

Ouch, sorry you had to go through that.

I got my emerald card, but its presently just lying around, unactivated. I'm curious what would happen if I load $500 of a VGC, and then match another $500 load from a real debit card linked to my BOFA account, and then withdraw $500 from the account - I'm curious as to whether loading from an actual account could keep me safe from shutdown. Most likely not, right?

May take one for the team later on.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by 46sky
I'm curious as to whether loading from an actual account could keep me safe from shutdown. Most likely not, right?
I don't think so. My guess is that it was the ACH pull that did it. If you withdraw by billpay you may be ok.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
Sounds like most of the shutdowns are ACH to bank related. Im gonna try a bill pay and report back.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by livestrongforever
Sounds like most of the shutdowns are ACH to bank related. Im gonna try a bill pay and report back.
I dont know why, but I just have this notion that pillpay takes a very very long time. Any reports?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by livestrongforever
I'd probably agree but back in the days of VRs ACH pull was not an issue. I'm thinking its the GC debit loads but who knows, just glad my account was at $0.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.