Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:20 pm
jk2
Original Poster

update: After waiting for 7 days for transaction to reverse on my AAA VGC (after 'host timeout' error), I called meta and was told that I have to go to WM and talked to them, since according to meta, WM took the money. Now, the fun part starts...

Did anybody else already go to WM and resolve such issue?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
update: After waiting for 7 days for transaction to reverse on my AAA VGC (after 'host timeout' error), I called meta and was told that I have to go to WM and talked to them, since according to meta, WM took the money. Now, the fun part starts...

as long as you have a receipt, ask to see cash department for your refund. I don't think you'll have a hard time dealing with them (except if the personnel is having a bad hair day or just grumpy by nature). If you have no receipt, maybe giving the date/approx time of transaction will suffice for them to trace the transaction. Good luck!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:35 pm
jk2
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mamibear
as long as you have a receipt, ask to see cash department for your refund. I don't think you'll have a hard time dealing with them (except if the personnel is having a bad hair day or just grumpy by nature). If you have no receipt, maybe giving the date/approx time of transaction will suffice for them to trace the transaction. Good luck!
I have a receipt, thankfully. My only concern is not to burn my activity here, since this is my 'to go" store. In other words, I don't want to bring any attention to all my MS activity, especially split payments with VGC.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL-PM
Originally Posted by jk2

Did Meta suggest filing a dispute? That may be an alternative.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
What kind of receipt? Since both my AAA cards were "timeout", I had to complete a transaction with plain debit card.
Does the receipt show each of those swipes and Timeout failures ?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by sandeepn
Did Meta suggest filing a dispute? That may be an alternative.
If you want to wait 6 weeks instead of 48 hours.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL-PM
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
If you want to wait 6 weeks instead of 48 hours.
That's great feedback. Thanks.

Any folks have experience in resolving this when one doesn't have receipts showing the host timeout issue?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
I called meta and was told that I have to go to WM and talked to them, since according to meta, WM took the money
Did the rep specifically say that he/she/MetaBank shows a fully POSTED transaction ? Not just an authorization ?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:23 pm

If fully and completely posted, it actually makes things easier for Walmart.

The lady at Walmart investigates that specific day/drawer/division and will find that they were "over" $500/$1000/$whatever on that day. And the electronic records will show them the history.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP GOLD, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Moved to proper thread

Last edited by Kudu19; Oct 6, 2015 at 8:46 am Reason: Moving to proper thread
Old Oct 6, 2015, 3:01 am
jk2
Original Poster

Does the receipt show each of those swipes and Timeout failures ?
receipt shows each swipe, but it doesn't say 'time out' failure. It looks more like approved swipe, but auth. code wasn't printed.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:04 pm

Hmm, that is a bit weird.

Are you certain the charge actually POSTED with MetaBank ? sometimes reps just see an authorization and tell you "Walmart has the money, go talk to them" to get you off the phone.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 4:56 pm
jk2
Original Poster

Hmm, that is a bit weird.

Are you certain the charge actually POSTED with MetaBank ? sometimes reps just see an authorization and tell you "Walmart has the money, go talk to them" to get you off the phone.
everything is possible, but reps sounded very knowledgeable. She even said if WM will create some problems, she advised to call them from WM and they will clarify things.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jk2
everything is possible, but reps sounded very knowledgeable. She even said if WM will create some problems, she advised to call them from WM and they will clarify things.
I don't use Metabank that often so my mind is foggy. Can you look at the transaction data online? If so, you can see if something is posted vs if it is pending. Pending things tend to fall off in 8-9 days. Posted would not. However, I agree with other suggestions here. The accounting dept can easily determine if a cash register is over by $XXX.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 5:33 pm

how soon can I call incomm?

I purchased 3 VGCs from RA and it looks like 1 didn't activate correctly.

I checked the balance on the website and it says the info I entered isn't correct. I still have the container that has that matches the last 4 of the card and the last 4 of the container matches the last 4 on the receipt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.