FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
List of Higher End Munich Hotels in Alphabetical Order
  • Bayerischer Hof
  • Kempinski Vier Jahreszeiten
  • Mandarin Oriental
  • Sofitel Bayerpost
  • The Charles Hotel

but I, RichardInSF (not speaking as mod), think it's pretty darn clear that the MO and Charles are a step above the other three.
Print Wikipost

Munich Hotels (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
PS -- Regarding Munich: Do whatever you need to do to avoid Hofbrauhaus.
But I like Oompah music and brats.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by offerendum
That was an exception. I always take a non smoking room and refuse smoking room. Today more and more hotels get completely non smoking in Germany. OK, I had smell of smoke at the bathroom at the RC Berlin and the Turkish mission smoked in my suite, but such problems arenīt common and were served satisfactorily.

Also, I didnīt mention more unfriendly hotel staff in Germany than in other countries.
The Vier Jahreszeiten Hotel put me in a non-smoking room. The problem was that it was directly above the 'smoking room' on the floor below. Ventilation is poor at this place, so the room was perpetually filled with smoke during the hours the 'smoking room' was open. 'Smoke' in a 'non-smoking room' doesn't count, even if I'm an ugly, rude, ill-bred American. When I complained the front desk went postal on me, making it VERY clear what she thought of an ugly, rude, ill-bred American complaining about the upgraded suite I had been assigned. I solved the problem by vowing never to return to the Vier Jahreszeiten Hotel. I also remember a maid blowing through a 'DND' sign on my door only to find me doing a deuce. (I know: TOO MUCH DETAIL!)

Regarding hotels in Munich -- I'm afraid that this city is much like Singapore: 'You choose the hotel that sucks the least.' Warts and all, I've found that hotel to be the MO. And I rather like the view of the parking structure next door. I've endured much worse.

@ Hofbräuhaus: Never experienced directly by myself, but I wouldnīt take a foot in
Absolutely the most pathetic tourist trap I have ever experienced. Story for a different thread maybe?

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Jan 16, 2013 at 4:10 pm
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:26 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

And my nod goes to the Charles over the MO, whee I've experienced a bit better, more friendly, service. The view there is nothing special either but I like the more modern rooms.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla

Regarding hotels in Munich -- I'm afraid that this city is much like Singapore: 'You choose the hotel that sucks the least.' Warts and all, I've found that hotel to be the MO. And I rather like the view of the parking structure next door. I've endured much worse.

You found friends To be honest, VJ was never really on my list.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I've added a wiki thread post to this thread listing the hotels that would fall into the Luxury Hotel category directly in Munich.

I was on the fence about including the Königshof so I didnīt.

If anyone can think of a hotel I missed, please add it to the list.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 11:44 am

On your list, I think the forum's consensus (and mine) would be to put the Charles and MO at the top, and note that the others have more mixed reviews.

I've only stayed at three on that list (MO, Charles, Bayerischer Hof) but it's very clear to me that the Bayerischer Hof is noticeably below the other two.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Sep 8, 2013 at 11:54 am
Old Sep 8, 2013, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Sofitel isnīt a Luxury hotel. I whould also rate Mandarin and Charles first, VJ and Bayerischer Hof are Luxury, but below Charles and MO.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 10:46 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
I stayed at the Charles hotel for 3 nights during my recent holiday to Munich. I won't exactly call it top end luxury, but for the price, it's very decent. Concierge was very helpful during my stay. Highlight is the breakfast. Room a bit plain though. Here are some pics :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/benlee1...57634946355294

Last edited by BENLEE; Sep 8, 2013 at 10:53 pm
Old Sep 8, 2013, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
On your list, I think the forum's consensus (and mine) would be to put the Charles and MO at the top, and note that the others have more mixed reviews.

I've only stayed at three on that list (MO, Charles, Bayerischer Hof) but it's very clear to me that the Bayerischer Hof is noticeably below the other two.
The list was put in somewhat random order, more as I thought of them versus anything else. Perhaps I should use alphabetical order to avoid too much discussion of what should be in which order?
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by jspira
The list was put in somewhat random order, more as I thought of them versus anything else. Perhaps I should use alphabetical order to avoid too much discussion of what should be in which order?
Given that the Charles and MO are, by consensus, noticeably better than the others, I'd be inclined to list them first ahead of the others, which could go in a second alphabetical list.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:37 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
I'm staying this week-end at the Munchen Palace (http://www.muenchenpalace.de/de/index.php). It definitely does not play in the same league than the MO and the Charles but given my 120€ a night corporate rate, I won't complain. I might do a report afterwards if you guys are interested. It still looks like a very decent hotel, probably in the same league than the Sofitel.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by SeamasterLux
I'm staying this week-end at the Munchen Palace (http://www.muenchenpalace.de/de/index.php). It definitely does not play in the same league than the MO and the Charles but given my 120€ a night corporate rate, I won't complain. I might do a report afterwards if you guys are interested. It still looks like a very decent hotel, probably in the same league than the Sofitel.
I just spent the week at the Sofitel in Munich and I was happy with it but not overly happy with it. The location was very convenient to my company's office (10 min walk) and to the discount stores my wife gave me a list for (Lidl & Aldi) but the lobby smelled like someone tipped over a 55 gallon drum of Drakkar Noir - I get that they want to make an impression, but wow was that concentrated.

Hey! My parents met at the HBH (in 1966) so I had to at least go in there and have a beer (which I did) or two (which I did) to make up for the fact that neither of my parents has ever been much of a drinker.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; UA 1K
It seems Munich is sparse in true luxury hotel options (never been). I'm headed there for a 3 night stay with the wife to browse the Christmas markets and see the city. Ideally, looking to stay in walking distance to most sites. Given the differentials below, seems it be best to stick with Sofitel? I have yet to read a review that makes a case for any significant incremental value among the other 2.

Sofitel $338/ night
Kempinski (VJ) $421 / nt
Charles $517 / nt
Old Nov 11, 2013, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by porsche534
It seems Munich is sparse in true luxury hotel options (never been). I'm headed there for a 3 night stay with the wife to browse the Christmas markets and see the city. Ideally, looking to stay in walking distance to most sites. Given the differentials below, seems it be best to stick with Sofitel? I have yet to read a review that makes a case for any significant incremental value among the other 2.

Sofitel $338/ night
Kempinski (VJ) $421 / nt
Charles $517 / nt
I've stayed at all 3 in the past year. I liked all of them, albeit for different reasons. No real complaints in any of them, either.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

From your options I know the Sofitel and the Charles. Stayed some times at the Charles. The hardware is really nice, especially if you stay in a suite. I stayed at Sofitel for a conference and canīt fully recommend it, itīs not a luxury option. My suite had the smallest bathroom in a suite ever and was really worn. Also Iīm not a fan of location, but Charles is only a bit better. The best location has Kempinski or MO. At Kempinski they more or less has two hotels. The big rooms and suites are OK, the "normal" rooms arenīt acceptable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.