Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to sit on the Boeing 747-400 [merged B744 experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA GOLD (1MM)
Originally Posted by N1003U
Yes, Row 84 is among my favorites on the 744 equipment as well. Good point about the bulkhead and stepping over the aisle neighbor, but if you are even moderately dexterous, stepping over the aisle neighbor without disturbing her or him is not very difficult with the new seats, regardless of the row.
Thanks for the info!
Old Oct 10, 2016, 4:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Thumbs up for Row 85

Just flew SEA-FRA on 744 in business and enjoyed Row 85 (A and C) more than the forward upper-deck seats that are favorably viewed in this thread. 85 had no econ noise but was so far to the rear of the deck that having my reading lights on the whole flight was not an inherent nuisance to anyone...and made going back to the galley for a late night snack all the easier. I also liked the layout in 85 better than the bulkhead styling of 84.

And FWIW, I found the LH business seats a bit more comfortable than our return (VIA-IAD) OS flight in row 7 on a 763. Being of average height, I couldn't say how the LH vs OS business seats compare for taller folks.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
I also liked the layout in 85 better than the bulkhead styling of 84.
Any chance you can elaborate on this? I am going back and forth between these 2 rows and would love to hear more of your experience/thoughts. Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by salty749
Any chance you can elaborate on this? I am going back and forth between these 2 rows and would love to hear more of your experience/thoughts. Thanks!
It's a small point, but IMO:

Row 84:
Looks and feels like a bulkhead, with TV screens flush with the front of your space. I didn't care for that aesthetic.
FAs may use the exit row space directly ahead of you as a bussing station for meal service, a pet peeve of mine.
AFAIK, 84 exit row provides no additional space for passengers.

Seats 85 A and C:
Looks like a non-bulkhead row
No seating directly behind you (so no lights or conversations when trying to snooze).
Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:47 pm

gotcha - thanks! Row 85 is now not available so I guess 84 it is. Thanks for the extra info....
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:26 am

Programs: AC SE MM
Lufthansa 747-400 Business Class Upstairs

Finally got to fulfill one of my childhood dreams and ride upstairs on a Boeing 747. I've always been a fan of Lufthansa Business class service but not of their not so lie flat seats. That is until they changed to the new seats that do lie flat. Now I feel it's the whole package, Especially up top where there's less traffic and a lot quieter. Thought I would share my experience with other flying fans.

Old Dec 24, 2016, 3:34 pm

Trying to find the best seats for me and my wife from mco to fra Thursday and returning Sunday. I have big feet and from my googling it seems like some seats have wider foot rests. Currently we're in 3H and 3k on the outbound row 83 in the upper deck. Any advise? Thanks
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:22 pm

Lufthansa 747-400 cabin tour

Lufthansa Boeing 747-400 cabin walk through
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Normally I find these reviews tedious--yours was great!

Was it an op-up, reward travel, bid upgrade or did you pay for business class?

Originally Posted by Chowtime
Finally got to fulfill one of my childhood dreams and ride upstairs on a Boeing 747. I've always been a fan of Lufthansa Business class service but not of their not so lie flat seats. That is until they changed to the new seats that do lie flat. Now I feel it's the whole package, Especially up top where there's less traffic and a lot quieter. Thought I would share my experience with other flying fans.

Lufthansa 747-400 Business Class Review - I Finally Get to Ride Upstairs - YouTube
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:52 am

My wife and I are flying on LH 417, IAD-FRA on June 6. We're both UA 1Ks and are currently assigned seats 12G&E. They don't look like the optimal seats to me since they are in the center section in a row of 3 seats. We'd prefer an aisle and a window.

Is the upper deck on the 747 preferred or the main deck? Any suggestions for preferred seats? Thanks in advance for any help.

edit to add: Looks like row 14 on main deck is only row available and upper deck is wide open. Wife has never flown on a 747 before, so I thought upper deck would be more interesting for her. Thoughts?

Last edited by FLYMSY; Apr 24, 2017 at 1:59 am
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:30 pm

can I sit with an in-cabin pet at 1a?
I called LH and they said yes, but I find it odd so would like to confirm.

Thanks.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Looks like row 14 on main deck is only row available and upper deck is wide open. Wife has never flown on a 747 before, so I thought upper deck would be more interesting for her. Thoughts?
Can't imagine why you would not want the UD as a couple
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by justsawaufo
can I sit with an in-cabin pet at 1a?
I called LH and they said yes, but I find it odd so would like to confirm.

Thanks.
Flight LH417 6/26

So get this, I was allocated 1A and I re-checked today I was moved to 3K instead. 1A\C\K seems to be open but blocked...

According to LH, it can only be assigned during check-in, does it make sense?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Can't imagine why you would not want the UD as a couple
Thanks, Kacee. I changed to 85 A&C. Row 84 was booked already.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Thanks, Kacee. I changed to 85 A&C. Row 84 was booked already.
85 A,C is the best of the UD, IMO. And it's easy to walk back and ask the FAs if they happen to have any snacks. They whipped us up a few things on SEA-FRA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.