Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis offer: 3h 99€ Porsche rentals for HON/F pax in FRA & MUC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1.5MM 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Thanks mods for the thread retitle to add MUC . Hopefully we can get more reports in on it soon.
I'm in Munich next week and am all set with my reservation.

Process followed:

Yesterday went online via the Lufthansa link

http://www.lufthansa.com/porsche

Switch the language to English and follow the link to 'Book with Avis'

First received a request confirmation email, and then 24 hours later, received the following message. Very easy process.

Thank you for booking with Avis. Your reservation number is XXXXXXXXX.

Your rental will commence on Friday, 20.11.2015 12:30 until Friday,
20.11.2015 15:30

Rental office (Pick up): Munich, Airport Munich, Terminalstrasse Mitte
Opening hours: 07:00-23:00 hours
Telephone ( 08997597600 )

Rental office (Return): Munich, Airport Munich, Terminalstrasse Mitte
Opening hours: 07:00-23:00 hours
Telephone ( 08997597600 )

Car group: Group J (e.g. Porsche 911)only on request

99,10 EUR

Your quote includes:
Local Tax (TAX)
Vehicle Damage Cover* (CDW) - Excess applies - 1.500,00 EUR
Vehicle Theft Cover* (TP) - Excess applies - 1.500,00 EUR
Vehicle Registration Fee (VRF)
Airport/city/other surcharge
150 KM

Note: With international reservations there is possibility that there will
be local charges of tax and fee. Please contact the Internet Helpdesk Team
at
++49-(0)71149081 3239 (Mo. - Fr. 9am - 5pm)
to get some detailed informations.

Please pay attention to our special Terms & Conditions for Luxury and
Prestige cars.
Standard minimum age requirements will apply by country. A Young Driver
Surcharge may also apply. For rentals within Germany, drivers must be aged
25 or over and those under 25 will be subject to a Young Driver Surcharge
of 11,90 € per day with a maximum of 119 € per rental. If you have a
Corporate Account with Avis, please refer to your corporate agreement.

This reservation applies after vehicle availability. Mistakes are reserved.

Please pay attention to the shop-hours of our stations and do not forget to
bring along during the collection of the vehicle a valid driving licence
and your credit card.

If you like to change or cancel your reservation please visit
(http://www.avis.de/AenderungStorno) or via the ´modify/cancel´section on
the homepage of your company microsite. Alternatively, call Avis Central
Reservations on 01805 - 21 77 02 (0,14 Eur/Min).

We wish you a safe and pleasant journey. Thank you for choosing Avis.

Avis Rent A Car
Old Nov 12, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by daberlin
The good news is I've been on the Autobahn three or four times driving in excess of 200 KM/H in cars such as E Class Mercs and 3 Series BMWs. Additionally, I own a 2010 Porsche 911 (997.2) at home, and though the newer model (991) is different, it isn't far different than mine.
I didn't mean to sound like the prototypical mother and wish you a lot of fun with the 911, but as someone who goes 155mph almost every day (weather permitting, my commute includes a fairly light traffic section of a 3-lane Autobahn) I have seen and experienced many crazy things. And it's easier to spot my SUV in the rear-view mirror then a 911 (yeah, an SUV is not as sexy as a 911, but the family situation demanded something bigger and more seats than a prototypical sports car; at least I got permission from my +1 to get myself an SUV with a better 0-60mph performance than a Porsche Boxster or Cayman )

Your rental car could, as TheBOSman mentioned, be equipped with snow/winter tires, which are standard in Southern Germany from November onwards; many of these tires have a 210km/h (speed rating H) or 240 km/h (V) rating, but there are also tires with speed rating W that are good for up to 270km/h. Make sure you mention/check that when picking up your car, particularly if 155mph+/250km/h+ is important to you.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1.5MM 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by worldclubber
I didn't mean to sound like the prototypical mother and wish you a lot of fun with the 911, but as someone who goes 155mph almost every day (weather permitting, my commute includes a fairly light traffic section of a 3-lane Autobahn) I have seen and experienced many crazy things. And it's easier to spot my SUV in the rear-view mirror then a 911 (yeah, an SUV is not as sexy as a 911, but the family situation demanded something bigger and more seats than a prototypical sports car; at least I got permission from my +1 to get myself an SUV with a better 0-60mph performance than a Porsche Boxster or Cayman )

Your rental car could, as TheBOSman mentioned, be equipped with snow/winter tires, which are standard in Southern Germany from November onwards; many of these tires have a 210km/h (speed rating H) or 240 km/h (V) rating, but there are also tires with speed rating W that are good for up to 270km/h. Make sure you mention/check that when picking up your car, particularly if 155mph+/250km/h+ is important to you.
No offense taken at all. I live in Los Angeles, California. If you think you've seen stupidity on the motorways, I'm sorry, but we take the cake. This was last week's highlight about 15 minutes from where I live. To have seen this guy plastered on an overpass sign on your way to work...

http://ktla.com/2015/10/30/person-ap...rk-area-crash/

Saw the tip on the car's tires. Given the inability to go all that far outside of town and back in 3 hours, especially on a Friday, I think I'm just going to cruise west a bit towards Augsburg, turn around, head back into town for a Pint or two, and then simply cruise back to MUC. Wish I had more time, but will still be fun as a quick stopover.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 12:51 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by daberlin
No offense taken at all. I live in Los Angeles, California. If you think you've seen stupidity on the motorways, I'm sorry, but we take the cake. This was last week's highlight about 15 minutes from where I live. To have seen this guy plastered on an overpass sign on your way to work...

http://ktla.com/2015/10/30/person-ap...rk-area-crash/

Saw the tip on the car's tires. Given the inability to go all that far outside of town and back in 3 hours, especially on a Friday, I think I'm just going to cruise west a bit towards Augsburg, turn around, head back into town for a Pint or two, and then simply cruise back to MUC. Wish I had more time, but will still be fun as a quick stopover.
Slightly OT: Not wearing a seatbelt is never a good idea. Must have caused a traffic nightmare. Had a similar experience a few weeks ago, when I needed to go from Thousand Oaks to LAX, which usually takes me just under an hour. It was Friday afternoon, not good anyway, and some idiot went on the freeway in the wrong direction and kept driving and hitting other cars until he was shot from a police helicopter about 1 mile away from me. Caused an unusually crazy traffic situation, even by LA Friday afternoon standards; took me close to 6 hours to get to LAX.

Back on topic: The A8 to Augsburg is actually not a bad Autobahn, but going west from MUC means that you will have to hit the A99 northern ring Autobahn, which tends to be problematic (particularly the 99a part, the so-called "Eschenrieder Spange"), even more so on Friday afternoon. Trying to go to Augsburg will most likely rid you of having to think too hard about what you want to do with the rest of your time in Munich
Old Nov 23, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum

Honestly, taking corners hard on the empty winding back roads in a Porsche 911 is more fun than simple straight line speed , in my opinion anyway.
Yes sir. That is the whole point. If you want straight line speed, just get a US musclecar for $100k less than a 911. Porsche excels in the combination of straight line speed, cornering, and (don't forget) braking. I drove a 911 GT3 recently with the carbon ceramic brake package. It stopped so fast, it almost made me sick - NICE!

My favourite road in Germany for this is the B307 in Bavaria from Vorderisse to Wallgau. It is a beautiful and insane two lane road. You need a Porsche for it. Then of course there is the Alpinstrasse!

TFD

Last edited by Task Force DL; Nov 23, 2015 at 3:42 pm
Old Nov 23, 2015, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Task Force DL
Yes sir. That is the whole point. If you want straight line speed, just get a US musclecar for $100k less than a 911. Porsche excels in the combination of straight line speed, cornering, and (don't forget) braking. I drove a 911 GT3 recently with the carbon ceramic brake package. It stopped so fast, it almost made me sick - NICE!

My favourite road in Germany for this is the B11 in Bavaria from Wallgau to to the golf club in Karwendel. It is a beautiful and insane two lane road. You need a Porsche for it. Then of course there is the Alpinstrasse!

TFD
^

Relatively fast braking is about the only thing my normal daily driver (a Toyota Prius, such a contrast of course) has that even remotely approaches a 911 .

And I'm not sure how many are there, but now I want to rent a 911 for some of the roads in New Zealand...

Unfortunately it doesn't seem your road stretch could be done from MUC within the three hour time frame .
Old Nov 23, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
^

Relatively fast braking is about the only thing my normal daily driver (a Toyota Prius, such a contrast of course) has that even remotely approaches a 911 .

And I'm not sure how many are there, but now I want to rent a 911 for some of the roads in New Zealand...

Unfortunately it doesn't seem your road stretch could be done from MUC within the three hour time frame .
Re: NZ - I am sure there is some way to rent a 911 there but I suspect it will cost a fortune. i am going to SCL in January and there were no cost effective 911 rentals so I am getting an M4 instead. Hopefully I won't get robbed.

Re: my road - You are correct that it won't fall within the 3 hr/200km limit. But at Euro1/km overage, who cares! This is also why I rented the car direct instead of through the LH deal. I had the car for several days and didn't exceed the km limit for the entire rental by much.

TFD
Old Nov 23, 2015, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Task Force DL
Re: NZ - I am sure there is some way to rent a 911 there but I suspect it will cost a fortune. i am going to SCL in January and there were no cost effective 911 rentals so I am getting an M4 instead. Hopefully I won't get robbed.

Re: my road - You are correct that it won't fall within the 3 hr/200km limit. But at Euro1/km overage, who cares! This is also why I rented the car direct instead of through the LH deal. I had the car for several days and didn't exceed the km limit for the entire rental by much.

TFD
KM limit can be solved with money , 3 hour limit can't, at least not under this program. Of course, can always rent as you did outside of the 3 hour program. But I just don't think, unless roads were totally wide open and you hauled some serious speed on the autobahn both ways, that you could get there and back to MUC in the allotted time.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 10:14 pm

Charging for late return?

How much does Avis charge if you go over the hourly limit? I read in previous posts that they give you a 1 hour grace period. Anyone had any experience returning it later than that?
I'll have long layover in Fra and would like to get more time with the car.
Old May 21, 2016, 8:15 am

Under 25?

Any idea if you can rent a 911 if you're 24 years old and just pay a supplemental fee? Everything I've read says 25.
Old May 21, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: many
Originally Posted by dawgsontop
Any idea if you can rent a 911 if you're 24 years old and just pay a supplemental fee? Everything I've read says 25.
No
Old May 21, 2016, 6:11 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by pcharles
No
No need to post if you don't have any idea

HTB.
Old May 22, 2016, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by htb
No need to post if you don't have any idea

HTB.
We were told no when we inquired. Do you have experience to the contrary? Feel free to enlighten us.
Old May 22, 2016, 7:24 am

For renting the car out of MUC, is there any particular route that anyone here is fond of?
Old May 22, 2016, 3:08 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by pcharles
We were told no when we inquired. Do you have experience to the contrary? Feel free to enlighten us.
"Any idea if you...."
"No"

You said yourself, you had no idea... That's the problem with one-word responses.

HTB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.