Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis offer: 3h 99€ Porsche rentals for HON/F pax in FRA & MUC

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:02 pm

Stupid question, can you get it in automatic?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by BigRedBears
Stupid question, can you get it in automatic?
Not a stupid question. In fact, Porsche doesn't make the current 911 with a manual transmission (even the current GT3). Only the Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) Transmission (an automatic) is available, you can override the automatic shifter (I recall my car had paddle shifters?) if you really want, but the included transmission is really good. So, in short, you'll get an automatic even if you didn't want it!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:30 pm

Thanks. It's for my gf. She doesn't drive stick.

We should have done it together in MUC last week. I came back to USA after Oktoberfest closing weekend, but she decided to stick around a bit longer.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Not a stupid question. In fact, Porsche doesn't make the current 911 with a manual transmission (even the current GT3).
Of course it does. 7-speed manual is standard for Carrera, S and GTS.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 3:06 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by BigRedBears
Thanks. It's for my gf. She doesn't drive stick.
Be very careful jumping into a 911 and driving around Germany, the rules here are quite different: http://germany.usembassy.gov/acs/driving_in_germany/
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lack
Of course it does. 7-speed manual is standard for Carrera, S and GTS.
Apologies, I could not find it on their website and instead went off some random internet page .

That said, I highly doubt Avis would buy a manual 911 for rental. I know it is different in Europe, but I'm guessing there are many even there who have no idea how to drive a manual transmission vehicle. A specialty rental place likely might buy a manual 911, but less likely for a large corporate chain that is using it for special programs but with a broad customer base.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 3:45 pm

I know it is different in Europe, but I'm guessing there are many even there who have no idea how to drive a manual transmission vehicle.
Not really.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmff
Not really.
I would debate but we would go way off topic . It is not too germane to this thread, as I don't recall anyone receiving a manual transmission Porsche in this program.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:14 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I would debate but we would go way off topic .
People always say that :-). I would bet that 90% of Europeans have never owned an automatic in their life. And only recently, with all the hybrids, has the percentage of automatics become meaningful (something like 20-30% of new cars).
But you are right about the bulk of 911's at Avis having an (pseudo) automatic gear shifter....
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
MUC update - Porsche Fail (but recovered myself!)

Well folks, here is an update from MUC.

I could not confirm the 911 ahead of time, as I mentioned in my previous post, either via the website or phone. Upon landing in FRA I asked the PA in the FCT to book it for me. She was able to do so but only for the three hours (not for the full four days that I wanted). I was told that I could do 24 hours for Euro311 but I would have to return the car to Frankfurt not MUC. No thank you!

I also tried to book through Avis directly and they said "nothing available".

Called AMEX, booked it - DONE!

I am now enjoying a black-on-black Carerra 4 GTS in the alps for my entire trip! The total cost including insurance is $347/day which is a deal for a car of this calibre. I have paid twice as much to rent supercars in US cities.

As an aside, when I have rented through the LH/Porsche deal in the past, I was given a 911 Carrera 4, 911 Carrera, 911 Carrera 4S, but never a 911 Carerra 4 GTS. The GTS is an amazing vehicle. I have never driven a GT3 but this GTS far surpasses any other supercar that I have rented or owned. I am hooked

TFD (trying to keep the rubber on the road)
Old Nov 2, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Several of your have PM'd/Email'd me about this - Here is an update....

FWIW - I did this again last week but through the LH/Avis deal this time. The car was a 911 Carrera 4S, *NOT* a GTS (big difference if you know the Porsche lineup). It was still fun, but a little more ho-hum than the GTS that I posted about earlier.

TFD
Old Nov 2, 2015, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Task Force DL
FWIW - I did this again last week but through the LH/Avis deal this time. The car was a 911 Carrera 4S, *NOT* a GTS (big difference if you know the Porsche lineup). It was still fun, but a little more ho-hum than the GTS that I posted about earlier.

TFD
I'm guessing Amex pulled some strings for you on the GTS, who was that through? Avis?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: Flying Blue, M&M
I shall be flying from Toulouse to Dubai next wednesday (11th of nov) via Munich.
I was thinking of booking the 3h Porsche offer with Avis.
But, because of the strike that might occur, I was wondering if the booking could be cancelled without fees or not.

I didin't find anything on the booking website.
Thanks
Old Nov 4, 2015, 5:36 pm

I'm guessing Amex pulled some strings for you on the GTS, who was that through? Avis?
Hey TheBOSman I have always loved your profile!

Maybe AMEX had something to do with it but the receipt was booked through AMEX travel with "Auto Europe" (a Maine company in the US) as the agent. Avis was the fulfilling rental car agency on the ground.

The GTS was an excellent experience.

TFD
Old Nov 5, 2015, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Task Force DL
The GTS was an excellent experience.
How could it not be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.