Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis offer: 3h 99€ Porsche rentals for HON/F pax in FRA & MUC

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage LG, MP, BAEC, UR
Originally Posted by circky
I was having the same frustrating experience last week in trying to reserve in advance/call in with no luck. I arrived at the FCT and requested a car rental, and 15 minutes later, a 911 was waiting for me. The only annoying things about the experience that encountered was the long line up at the Avis car rental and there were no preconfigured routes on the GPS system like they advertise.
Well that's (mostly) good to hear Circky. Can I ask what route you did ultimately take and do you have any route advice?

Thanks!
Old May 27, 2017, 2:08 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by tridentnyc
I've been trying to book for about three days now, more than 24 hrs. Still get the same error message on the last page even when I push the rental out 72 hours or more.
If you are desperate to book the car before you check in your bags, try calling the First Class Service in Germany, they are usually helpful.
Old May 29, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage LG, MP, BAEC, UR
Hi all,

So I wanted to update everyone on my "Porsche First Class Excitement" experience.

Mrs. Tridentnyc and I arrived at FCL A and promptly asked the PA at the check in desk if she could arrange the rental for us. She told us not to worry and that she would handle everything. Ten minutes later she returned to where we were enjoying some of the buffet items with our reservation and paperwork. I thanked her profusely and explained the issues I and other Flyertalk members were having booking either online or over the telephone with Avis. She said they were well aware of this issue and that LH First Class Services found this issue very frustrating and asked if I and other FT members might write some emails to Avis complaining to help resolve the issue. Again, LH is well aware of the broken booking site and the phone number which never gets answered. I plan on writing Avis after this posting.

We went down to the Avis counter where there were two long lines, one for Avis Preferred members, which I am and the other for everyone else. I had a rather unhelpful and surly counter agent who couldn't find my reservation under a "Preferred" booking and insisted I step aside after ten minutes on line so she could help another "Preferred" member with their reservation, this cost us another ten minutes as the standard line which Mrs. Tridentnyc was on wasn't moving any faster. About after twenty minutes we got the reservation completed and I was handed the keys.

As has been the experience, the route maps were NOT loaded into the GPS, even after I had the LH F PA make a second call to the Avis counter to request the maps be loaded...oh well, guess Avis isn't interested or can be bothered. As our time was now somewhat limited and we both wanted to experience the FCT for at least an hour, we only had about 75 mins with the 911 before it would be time to board, so I decided to take a page out of JohnRain's book and to high tail it over to Wiesbaden. I used the 911's GPS to Wiesbaden's City Center and it worked like a charm!

This was my first time behind the wheel of a 911 and it didn't disappoint, the responsiveness and handling were just awesome...an utterly fantastic use of 99€ and a long layover at FRA.

I thought both the FCL A and the FCT were fantastic and I'm glad I experienced the 911 drop-off, passport control & security at the FCT as it certainly was the most incredibly serene immigration and security process I've ever experienced. With that said, now that I've done the FCT, I do think in the future I'd probably opt to stay in either the FCL A or B as the amenities are identical and the apron views from the A lounge are far more interesting than the taxi rank view from the FCT as other FT members helpfully pointed out to me earlier.

I'd like to thank all the members here for all the help, especially JohnRain for brining the whole 911 rental possibility to my attention, which I was completely unaware of, thanks JohnRain!

Lastly, my concern over checking our bags was compeletly unfounded as both our bags came out of the chute and on to the carousel in #2 and #3 positions, we actually had no need for the help of the LH F ground services rep who greeted us off the 748 and met us at the carousel, we simply grabbed our bags and ran!

This was my first time flying LH F and the experience really blew me away. The ground services that LH F provides was just faultless and the service in the air was exceptional, perhaps a notch below SQ F onboard in my opinion but still an incredibly lovely experience. Again, thank you all here on FT for helping to make my ten year wedding anniversary trip with Mrs.Tridentnyc a memory of a lifetime!
Attached Images  
Old May 29, 2017, 5:06 pm

All's well that ends well. Glad you enjoyed the experience all around (except for Avis's involvement). I'm a big fan of LH F too. ^
Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
But did you try doing a dummy booking entering all your info including a credit card number and then submit on the last page? I just tried your link and it gives me the same error message.
The Avis link RTW1 posted worked for me. Made a reservation later this year. Was even able to switch the language of the page to English. Received a request confirmation email right after and then the Reservation Confirmation within 24 hours.

The reservation also shows up on my Avis Preferred account even though the booking page didn't have a place to enter my Avis number. (Attached via my email address, I assume?)
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:53 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by circky
I was having the same frustrating experience last week in trying to reserve in advance/call in with no luck. I arrived at the FCT and requested a car rental, and 15 minutes later, a 911 was waiting for me. The only annoying things about the experience that encountered was the long line up at the Avis car rental and there were no preconfigured routes on the GPS system like they advertise.
Question!

If you show up at the FCT and request the rental is it brought to you at the FCT, or how do you pick it up from Avis?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:55 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by warrenw
Question!

If you show up at the FCT and request the rental is it brought to you at the FCT, or how do you pick it up from Avis?
You have to pick it up at the Avis counter. That's why it makes more sense to go to FCL A, have the agent arrange the car, pick it up, drive it and return it at the FCT.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by JohnRain
You have to pick it up at the Avis counter. That's why it makes more sense to go to FCL A, have the agent arrange the car, pick it up, drive it and return it at the FCT.
Awesome, thanks for the info!!
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:40 pm

One more question, are you able to choose what kind of 911 you want? I see most people are getting cabrios but I'm a huge fan of the coupe... Am I able to request which kind?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:11 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by warrenw
One more question, are you able to choose what kind of 911 you want? I see most people are getting cabrios but I'm a huge fan of the coupe... Am I able to request which kind?
You can request a specific 911 model, but there's no 100% guarantee you'll get it.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
I made 2 bookings for my pre-planned extended layovers in FRA on both the inbound and outbound using the link up thread and both were confirmed within 48 hours. I subsequently decided to cancel the 2nd one given I had more than enjoyed my fill of the Autobahn after also renting a M4 cabrio from BMW Welt in Munich on this trip as well.

This was my 3rd time taking advantage of this offer and if I had one recommendation, it would be to sign up for Avis Preferred before hand in order to skip the line. I waited almost an hour in line which was probably the slowest rental car line in history as there were 3 people working the counter and less than 10 people in front of me! I was able to snag a 911 Carrera S Cabrio with only 5k on it. I was going to try and push for a turbo, but by that point, I was tired of standing in line. There were at least 2 turbos in the garage in the AVIS section.

I had pre-mapped out the route I was going to take which was similar to the Wetterau route on the Lufthansa website. There was a decent amount of no speed limit zone on the first half of the journey, however, when heading south back to FRA from Butzbach there are some speed restrictions as a result of construction. Upon my return, I dropped off the vehicle at the FCT without issue. I was a slightly over on my mileage which was charged back to my credit card.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by habshabs444
I made 2 bookings for my pre-planned extended layovers in FRA on both the inbound and outbound using the link up thread and both were confirmed within 48 hours. I subsequently decided to cancel the 2nd one given I had more than enjoyed my fill of the Autobahn after also renting a M4 cabrio from BMW Welt in Munich on this trip as well.

This was my 3rd time taking advantage of this offer and if I had one recommendation, it would be to sign up for Avis Preferred before hand in order to skip the line. I waited almost an hour in line which was probably the slowest rental car line in history as there were 3 people working the counter and less than 10 people in front of me! I was able to snag a 911 Carrera S Cabrio with only 5k on it. I was going to try and push for a turbo, but by that point, I was tired of standing in line. There were at least 2 turbos in the garage in the AVIS section.

I had pre-mapped out the route I was going to take which was similar to the Wetterau route on the Lufthansa website. There was a decent amount of no speed limit zone on the first half of the journey, however, when heading south back to FRA from Butzbach there are some speed restrictions as a result of construction. Upon my return, I dropped off the vehicle at the FCT without issue. I was a slightly over on my mileage which was charged back to my credit card.
did you go straight to the avis counter after deplaning / immigration? did they need any documents confirming your LH F flight / onward connection?

did the FCT need any confirmation of LH F / onward connectionetc when you dropped it off?

i'm just wondering because my inbound flight is the F with an onward LH connection in biz (not sure if this will give me trouble with rental - i know it shouldn't be an issue with getting into the FCT).
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by jayoxd
did you go straight to the avis counter after deplaning / immigration? did they need any documents confirming your LH F flight / onward connection?

did the FCT need any confirmation of LH F / onward connectionetc when you dropped it off?

i'm just wondering because my inbound flight is the F with an onward LH connection in biz (not sure if this will give me trouble with rental - i know it shouldn't be an issue with getting into the FCT).
You won't have any trouble with Avis, most likely they won't ask even for your BP.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by mmff
You won't have any trouble with Avis, most likely they won't ask even for your BP.
what stops people from taking advantage of this deal then

maybe the obscurity is to our benefit
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by jayoxd
what stops people from taking advantage of this deal then

maybe the obscurity is to our benefit
I don't know but I would never willingly break the terms and conditions of a car rental agreement. If you have an accident and the damage is big enough, the insurance company will most definitely investigate and may declare the coverage void.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.