Avis offer: 3h 99€ Porsche rentals for HON/F pax in FRA & MUC

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:58 pm

Programs: LX HON, BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Waze also has a 'later' option.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:05 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by Duke787
I arrive at ~805am from MXP and depart for IAD at ~105pm. Obviously have never been to FCT so want to maximize my time at the FCT and just debating whether 1-1.5 hours of the Porsche is worth it. Also curious whether traffic would be an issue at all at 9-1030am on a Tuesday morning.
The Autobahns around the airport are pretty busy, but 9-11 (no pun intended) is a pretty good time, particularly when moving away from Frankfurt at 9. Check for traffic jams before you leave the airport and decide which way to go. Enjoy!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
While I can't comment on traffic on that time of day, I can tell you I did about 1.5hrs and it was well worth it! I'd go first to the A FCL, get the car reservation sorted (if you already haven't done so, I had problems online as have others on this thread) get the car and BOMB down the autobahn! I went to Wiesbaden which was like 20 mins away going approx 160kmh in a ragtop 911. It was awesome. Wiesbaden is a great little town, have a look around, grab a coffee somewhere and rocket back to the FCT. SO SO glad I did it, was a great way to spend 90 mins or so. Do it, you'll love it!
Sure you don't mean 160mph instead of kmh?

160kmh would not really fit "BOMB down" and "rocket back"
htb likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Well, depends to what one is used to.

City traffic in NYC area? Sure 100mph feels like bombing.

Non-Germany European Highway? 160kmh upper side of normal.

German Autobahn? Stop holding people up, that Peugeot behind you wants to pass
htb likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Well, depends to what one is used to.

City traffic in NYC area? Sure 100mph feels like bombing.

Non-Germany European Highway? 160kmh upper side of normal.

German Autobahn? Stop holding people up, that Peugeot behind you wants to pass
My thought exactly!

My average speed to work today was about 210kmh...

Back to topic: If you want to go fast, I would recommend the A5 southbound from the airport, unless there are road works or a traffic jam. Many Autobahns, particularly in the densely populated FRA area, do have speed restrictions now; much of the A5 south of FRA is still unrestricted.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tridentnyc
While I can't comment on traffic on that time of day, I can tell you I did about 1.5hrs and it was well worth it! I'd go first to the A FCL, get the car reservation sorted (if you already haven't done so, I had problems online as have others on this thread) get the car and BOMB down the autobahn! I went to Wiesbaden which was like 20 mins away going approx 160kmh in a ragtop 911. It was awesome. Wiesbaden is a great little town, have a look around, grab a coffee somewhere and rocket back to the FCT. SO SO glad I did it, was a great way to spend 90 mins or so. Do it, you'll love it!
Sounds like a good approach. The tool was working for me earlier but might be better and do the A FCL booking approach so that if there is any delay coming in from MXP, I can opt out of the car experience if timing is too tight.

Otherwise 90 mins sounds like it could work bookended by breakfast from A FCL and then early lunch / shower / Scotch tasting in the FCT upon returning the car.

Originally Posted by worldclubber
The Autobahns around the airport are pretty busy, but 9-11 (no pun intended) is a pretty good time, particularly when moving away from Frankfurt at 9. Check for traffic jams before you leave the airport and decide which way to go. Enjoy!
Originally Posted by worldclubber
My thought exactly!

My average speed to work today was about 210kmh...

Back to topic: If you want to go fast, I would recommend the A5 southbound from the airport, unless there are road works or a traffic jam. Many Autobahns, particularly in the densely populated FRA area, do have speed restrictions now; much of the A5 south of FRA is still unrestricted.
^^ perfect I'll look to go that direction and per the above if for some reason I'm delayed or traffic is terrible I can opt out and just not have the A FCL book it and instead just proceed straight over to the FCT.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
^^ perfect I'll look to go that direction and per the above if for some reason I'm delayed or traffic is terrible I can opt out and just not have the A FCL book it and instead just proceed straight over to the FCT.
Sounds like a good plan. The A5 down to Darmstadt is probably the longest stretch of unrestricted Autobahn in the whole area and fairly level and straight. Enjoy and don't hurt yourself!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
After my FRA experiences some years ago I have booked this Porsche offer in MUC for end of Oct. I may combine it with the current M&M offer by "Audi on demand" at MUC for another hour of fun driving in a nice Audi: https://www.miles-and-more.com/onlin...l=en&cid=18002

For your first booking between 1 September and 31 December 2017 you will receive 3,000 award miles. This applies to all Audi on demand models and is valid from the first hour. You receive another 3,000 award miles for every additional booking of 8 hours or more.
Valid for bookings and drives from 1 September to 31 December 2017

3,000M for the first booking of one hour or more
An extra 3,000M for every additional booking of 8 hours or more
Includes one fill-up per day and insurance with an excess
Free choice of vehicle from an exclusive Audi fleet
Simply book online
Old Oct 14, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: AA PLT, CC Concierge, A3*G
So I'm arriving from LH861 OSL-FRA at 14:50 tomorrow, connecting to HND at 18:05. I've been to the FCT before, but never tried the Porsche rental, so I would like to try it if we land on (or ahead of) schedule. I have a few questions:

1) What's the most efficient way of organizing the rental if not pre-booked (since we'll have to skip it if we're delayed from Oslo)? Should I go to the FCT, FCL or directly to Avis?

2) I guess traffic shouldn't be an issue at that time on a Sunday?

3) When should I be back at the FCT at the latest? Bags will of course be in transit.

4) After reading a lot of the posts here, I understand that driving south would be the best option when we just have 60-90 mins?

Last edited by Peppep; Oct 14, 2017 at 11:32 am
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Peppep
So I'm arriving from LH861 OSL-FRA at 14:50 tomorrow, connecting to HND at 18:05. I've been to the FCT before, but never tried the Porsche rental, so I would like to try it if we land on (or ahead of) schedule. I have a few questions:

1) What's the most efficient way of organizing the rental if not pre-booked (since we'll have to skip it if we're delayed from Oslo)? Should I go to the FCT, FCL or directly to Avis?

2) I guess traffic shouldn't be an issue at that time on a Sunday?

3) When should I be back at the FCT at the latest? Bags will of course be in transit.

4) After reading a lot of the posts here, I understand that driving south would be the best option when we just have 60-90 mins?
That's pretty tight.

1) Go straight to the FCL in ask them to organize it for you.

2) Usually not an issue and no trucks on Autobahns on Sunday, but ... happens.

3) At least 60mins before departure.

4) If you just want to max it out, take the A5 southbound to Darmstadt and turn around there.

Enjoy and drive carefully!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:39 am

Do they allow you to choose various types of Porsche or only the 911?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by michaelpowell44
Is there another? :P
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Depending on your fortune on the day, you might get a nicer version of the 911. They have different trim levels.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:32 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
There's been mentions of Panamera earlier, but I have no idea if that was normally offered or just happened to be available.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:35 am

Ok, I was blindly thinking the 911 only has 2 seats, but I see it has 4. There are three of us who will be taking a spin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.