MiFi Wifi Rental in Japan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MiFi Wifi Rental in Japan

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2014, 3:18 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

There's more than one supplier for these things... just google a few minutes and reserve quickly. And worst case there's still the SIM option, than you will have at least one connection and can connect the rest when in your hotel.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I did a follow-up email and did get a quick response

no myfi available for the majority of my visit

I need a plan B now
I ran into a similar issue when preparing for a 10-day visit to Japan in July. Ended up going with an LTE mobile wifi from Japan Wireless. Came with an extra battery. Used it for all my internet surfing (at hotels) plus navigation while exploring the cities and countryside. Worked out great. It was waiting for me at my arrival hotel in Tokyo, and I dropped it in the mail at Narita before my departing flight.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Just want to report my current usage experience for eMobile 75Mbps device from Global Advanced Telecom

My trip so far covers Fukuoka, Beppu, Aso and Nagasaki. Generally speaking, the performance is 1 / 2 grade below what I got last time with telecom square using Docomo device. Connection on highway is patchy (frequently no connection on highway, limited connection at PA / SA. For Aso, poor indoor connection (1 bar only) and sometime unable to connect to Internet.

Today I was at one of the newer shopping mall (you me) and have 0 reception at their underground super market .....

So I guess next time it's back to Docomo for me ....
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:03 pm
Suspended

So on monday i arrive in NRT what Simcard shuld i buy for 16 days?
Thanks
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Not specific enough. Where will you be going, how much data you plan on using, are you departing from elsewhere, all important factors.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:56 pm
Suspended

NRT and <1GB
I need full internet with out an Proxy or Port blocking.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Just want to report my current usage experience for eMobile 75Mbps device from Global Advanced Telecom

My trip so far covers Fukuoka, Beppu, Aso and Nagasaki. Generally speaking, the performance is 1 / 2 grade below what I got last time with telecom square using Docomo device. Connection on highway is patchy (frequently no connection on highway, limited connection at PA / SA. For Aso, poor indoor connection (1 bar only) and sometime unable to connect to Internet.

Today I was at one of the newer shopping mall (you me) and have 0 reception at their underground super market .....

So I guess next time it's back to Docomo for me ....
Maybe uh oh, but I will let you know. I arrive Sunday and have a Global Telecom for 10 days. We will be on train, not driving (except in Kyoto) and will be Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto, Nara, Himeji, Hiroshima. Family of 4. I will report back.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:05 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by sbrower
Maybe uh oh, but I will let you know. I arrive Sunday and have a Global Telecom for 10 days. We will be on train, not driving (except in Kyoto) and will be Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto, Nara, Himeji, Hiroshima. Family of 4. I will report back.
Report back, as promised (on NEX to NRT as I type). Only have good to say about Global Telecom. Equipment waiting at airport, as promised. Could use a better instruction manual, but no real problem. Good power, especially with extra backup battery. Had great reception everywhere we went in Japan (Tokyo (West suburbs), walking around, Hakkone, Kyoto, Hiroshima, all trains in between (obvious loss of signal in tunnels between Okayama and Hiroshima, but no big surprise there)). Will put it all back in prepaid envelope later today and send it back.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by ToGo
So on monday i arrive in NRT what Simcard shuld i buy for 16 days?
Thanks
Suggestions are below and above ; WORST case if you miss pre-order or out of stock the Softbank kiosks in arrivals/departures in NRT do offer the broadband MiFi unmetered/ublocked at a set daily flat fee.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
BIC SIM for visitor (or sister product available at Yodobashi and others).

2GB, expires on the last day of the 3rd month of activation, ~4000 yen

http://www.iij.ad.jp/en/news/pressre...2014/0930.html
http://www.biccamera.com/bicbic/jsp/...=4545904001532
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:17 am

Received a tracking number from GAC yesterday for the shipment of our 75MBs personal WiFi and extra battery rental. We arrive on the 29th. Exceptional service so far!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, CC Gold
Rented a 75Mbps pocket WiFi from Global Advanced for two weeks on our trip to Japan and everything was just perfect. Communication was fast and easy with them and when we arrived to our hotel in Sapporo, the package was waiting there for us just as promised. Setting up was done easily in a minute and as the battery was full we could start using the pocket wifi right away. During our two weeks (Sapporo, Osaka, Ishigaki, Tokyo) we had no issues with the coverage except for the northern side of the Ishigaki island. However, I was positively surprised as I was not even expecting it to work at all over there. The battery life with the 75Mbps version was great for our needs and lasted almost always the whole day without charging. It was so nice to have access to google maps all the time and to find places easily. Never again will I go to Japan without a pocket wifi! ^
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used the Global Advanced 75Mbps for my trip and for the most part it worked well. I had a few instances where it dropped off service, and had to press a random sequence of buttons to get it to work again (as it only had 2 buttons, there was a limit to what it could have been, but there were clearly gremlins in mine).

I had no service up in Koya-san, so be aware of this if you are planning a side trip there. I didn't need it, so not an issue, but if someone was planning to be in contact you might want to opt for a SIM (which did work up there)
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just a FYI about GAT and other mifi providers - many of the networks they connect with block VOIP, specifically apps like Linphone you might want to use for voice calling while in Japan. Many hotel Wifi systems block these as well, so if you need voice service, specifically for inbound calls, you might be stuck with either an expensive Skype incoming number, or I found a usable workaround mating my Google Voice number to Google Hangouts and installing the Hangouts Dialer app - this was not blocked and I was able to both receive and make calls from my GV account using the Hangouts app and dialer with excellent quality.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, CC Gold
I'm going to Okinawa, Iriomote, Ishigaki and Miyako for two weeks. As I was very pleased with renting a Mi-Fi device from Global Advanced on our last trip, I would like to use them again. However, I'm wondering if anyone has first hand experience how the coverage is on Miyakojima or Iriomote? I guess in Okinawa and especially in Naha area the coverage is fine, right? At least on Ishigaki the connection was ok in the city center.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.