Reload this Page >

MiFi Wifi Rental in Japan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MiFi Wifi Rental in Japan

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:59 pm

Oops nevermind, I'm a dummy! I forgot I bought a Mophie Power Station the last time around. I guess it's been sitting in a drawer for the past 3 years! I only figured it out by reading through older posts in this thread.

Ignore all of the above and apologies for reviving this old thread.

Last edited by OliverB; Nov 8, 2017 at 5:05 pm
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: Mabuhay Miles, Skypass, Eva Air, KrisFlyer
I used atleast once a day and it was very useful, also served to charge up the phones if those ran out of battery first, which they usually did
OliverB likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:52 pm

A rented battery is both costly proprietary stuff and another loss risk. However, with good travel insurance, it may be easier to deal with rental firms than airbnb owners when it comes to paperwork for lost hotspots and accessories.

I think that Japan data SIMs offer the same LTE convenience and with less hassle and worry overall, particularly if you have a dual-SIM phone.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:45 am

Could someone please remind me what I need to do to make my iPhone compatible for outgoing and incoming calls with MiFi so that I'm not subject to exorbitant long distance rates? I think I registered a Skype tel # the last time we were in Japan (paid by month if memory serves) but I completely forget how it works and I'm sure there must be some new apps or methods that have since been made available. Can anyone suggest the best way to do this? I just want to be able to make occasional local calls to restaurants, shops, hotel, etc. without returning home to an insane at&t bill. Is Skype still the best way to go?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by OliverB
Could someone please remind me what I need to do to make my iPhone compatible for outgoing and incoming calls with MiFi so that I'm not subject to exorbitant long distance rates? I think I registered a Skype tel # the last time we were in Japan (paid by month if memory serves) but I completely forget how it works and I'm sure there must be some new apps or methods that have since been made available. Can anyone suggest the best way to do this? I just want to be able to make occasional local calls to restaurants, shops, hotel, etc. without returning home to an insane at&t bill. Is Skype still the best way to go?
If WiFi Calling works you can set the phone to Airplane mode and turn on WiFi - if it registers fine then you can use that for calling based on your carriers standard rates for using it domestic (e.g. if you call a local Tokyo number watch out if you don't have discounted Intl dialing)

As you say, Skype is another good option - but lately I've been using Google Hangouts and their dialer. If you have Google Voice you can get a number assigned for incoming calls or just use it for Google's deep discounted Intl rates for outbound calls. https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/rates?p=hangout - Find the Voice quality on Google Hangouts pretty good and use it even fine on the slower free data options for some carriers give for Intl roaming (like T-Mobile)
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by NickP 1K
If WiFi Calling works you can set the phone to Airplane mode and turn on WiFi - if it registers fine then you can use that for calling based on your carriers standard rates for using it domestic (e.g. if you call a local Tokyo number watch out if you don't have discounted Intl dialing)

As you say, Skype is another good option - but lately I've been using Google Hangouts and their dialer. If you have Google Voice you can get a number assigned for incoming calls or just use it for Google's deep discounted Intl rates for outbound calls. https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/rates?p=hangout - Find the Voice quality on Google Hangouts pretty good and use it even fine on the slower free data options for some carriers give for Intl roaming (like T-Mobile)
Thanks! I only have a US-CAD int'l plan so even local calls w/ standard long distance rates on airplane mode would be crazy expensive but Google Hangouts sounds great and I'm going to research it right now. 👍🏻
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by OliverB
Thanks! I only have a US-CAD int'l plan so even local calls w/ standard long distance rates on airplane mode would be crazy expensive but Google Hangouts sounds great and I'm going to research it right now. 👍🏻
Just ensure you turn off data roaming if your plan has no base level or a daily Intl flat rate package to avoid Hangouts or Skype from using data vs WiFi
OliverB likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:28 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I went with GAC for our most recent trip; the pricing for 16 days was better than PuPuRu's and I've always been happy with GAC's service. I picked up the device from NRT while +1 took care of the Keisei bus tickets to Tokyo Station and was pleasantly surprised to find I had been upgraded from the standard wifi device I reserved to a Super Premium Wifi device. The buckslip in the envelope said they had low availability of the standard devices, hence the upgrade.

Other than Tokyo, we traveled by JR Rail to Hakone, Matsumoto, Kanazawa, Nagano, and Niigata and had no connectivity issues at all. I have my own portable USB battery, so I didn't rent an extra battery and ended up needing it a few of the days we were out for a long time.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: LH FTL
Based on my recent experience I can recommend Rentafone:
Fast internet, no hidden costs. Device was already sent to front desk when we arrived at the hotel and we dropped it in a mailbox at HND airport.
I would recommend to take an external battery pack because you may need to recharge the device during the day.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:19 pm

Has anyone used Wi-Ho! from TelecomSquare? They're the cheapest by far if you use their "pack" system? From what I gather, a "pack" is a 24 hour period of use? I'm there for 14 days so at 900-1000+ yen a day for companies like PuPuRu, it gets quite expensive. Wi-Ho only charges about $67 for a 15 pack package.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: LH M+M
Picking Pupuru this time, the 30% off is nice. Dont get why wifibuddy and GAC want some ~1000Y for HND pickup, but NRT is free.

Last edited by PAX_fips; Feb 27, 2018 at 11:14 pm
Old Mar 3, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by PAX_fips
Picking Pupuru this time, the 30% off is nice. Dont get why wifibuddy and GAC want some ~1000Y for HND pickup, but NRT is free.
GAC must not have a deal with the HND Post Office locations, like they do at NRT and KIX. At HND, you pick it from the JALABC Courier, while at the other airports you pick it up at the Post Office in the airport.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 5:05 pm

Visiting Japan (Osaka, Kyoto, Tokyo) mid April, best recommendation for speed + coverage + battery?
I seen PuPuRu, GAC, WifiBuddy, Ninja Wifi.

My biggest concern for connection is Kyoto Bamboo Groove.

Thanks!

Last edited by bino3005; Mar 24, 2018 at 5:58 pm
Old Mar 24, 2018, 5:36 pm

Looks like WifiBuddy is significantly cheapest for its advertised performance... anyone have reviews? thx!
Old May 25, 2018, 2:08 pm

The prices seem to be all over the place for WIFI rental and im not sure who's trying to pull a fast one on me. Ninja Wifi and PuPuRu seem really expensive - $150+ CAD for 2 weeks of data service. That's more than my monthly Canadian cellphone bill.

Any recommendations?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.