Reload this Page >

MiFi Wifi Rental in Japan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MiFi Wifi Rental in Japan

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:39 am

Insurance and recovery fees are their profit support programs. The loss recovery fees in particular can be eye-opening.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:49 pm
cnk

I've used GAC two times. Requested hotel delivery both time and both times it was waiting for me at check in. No problems at all getting my phones connected and coverage was very good while I was in cities. Both times I ordered the Standard Wifi (75 Mbps). Outside of cities, I still had good coverage in the area around Fuji and Hakone. But in the mountains north of Nagoya there was no coverage at all, even along the main highway and train route.

In retrospect I should have ordered the Premium Wifi for a few yen more. They even state on their web site "If you are going to Hokkaido or Mountain area , We recomend to rent "Super Premium Wifi" or "Premium Wifi"."

So I recommend GAC, but check on coverage where you plan to go and get Premium if required. Price difference wasn't that significant.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by kzap
Well this thread is just beaming with referrals for GAC, they should say "Recommend by FlyerTalk.com Travellers" in their website

I just reserved a 75Mbps Wifi + Battery for July

The airport pick up at Haneda is confusing since there is a charge to deliver it to the Airport but its actually free to deliver it to your Hotel.
The choice then is obvious, have it waiting for you at the hotel for freeee

Compared to the others GAC does not offer insurance. Has anyone needed the insurance?
Will schedule pick-up at hotel, but where would I return the device?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:21 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

You mail it.... everything is included.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by hairpeace
Will schedule pick-up at hotel, but where would I return the device?
Usually it comes with a prepaid envelope and you mail it. Just drop it in any Japan post mailbox. There are a few mailboxes at Narita and Haneda
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
I've had lots of Japan trips lately where I'm also onward to Taiwan, S. Korea and HK and started to use the SkyRoam instead. Their daily high speed gap is now 500MB and you can use it across Asia, own the device and just pay for the days you want. Their device is HSPA only
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by cnk
In retrospect I should have ordered the Premium Wifi for a few yen more. They even state on their web site "If you are going to Hokkaido or Mountain area , We recomend to rent "Super Premium Wifi" or "Premium Wifi"."

So I recommend GAC, but check on coverage where you plan to go and get Premium if required. Price difference wasn't that significant.
I've used GAC's premium model for a ski trip to Nagano/Nozawa Onsen plus snow monkeys, and for a self drive in autumn in Hokkado. I recall the wifi thing working perfectly in the Nagano area (except, of course, on the top of the mountain), but not-quite-perfectly in Hokkaido (there were some spots on roads in between the Biei/Furano/Sonkyou Onsen with patchy coverage).
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
isn't it cheaper to wait until arrival in Japan and rent at an airport store ?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
isn't it cheaper to wait until arrival in Japan and rent at an airport store ?
Yup, usually, and you just drop it off at the airport on your way home.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Just made a reservation for a MiFi device with PuPuRu, they are currently cheaper than GAC because they have a special for their 30th anniversary.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:03 pm

Just made a reservation for a MiFi device with PuPuRu, they are currently cheaper than GAC because they have a special for their 30th anniversary.
Thanks for the heads up! Reserved as well, awesome price.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
This is company I used. It was beyond excellent.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
I'm a repeat customer for Softbank.

Great coverage and speed, and I just pick up and drop off at Narita.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I'm a repeat customer for Softbank.

Great coverage and speed, and I just pick up and drop off at Narita.
A bit of topic, but if you are based in USA, Sprint now has unlimited LTE data for free in Japan using SoftBank Network and you can tether for free from your phone as needed. Speeds are ok average over 25 Mbs
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:11 pm

It's been 3 full years since our last trip to Japan and we're only four months away from our long awaited and much anticipated return!

We'll be in Tokyo for 17 nights straight this time around and I'm planning to rent another pocket WiFi from GAC, but I totally forget if we ever made use of the extra battery the last time around...

Since we won't be travelling outside of the city and could easily recharge the battery every night in our hotel room where we have access to complimentary high-speed wifi, I'm wondering if it's worth renting a backup or procuring our own elsewhere or if it's likely not even necessary at all?

Can anyone please refresh my memory on how quickly these batteries tend to drain?

EDIT: I see that their website indicates 10-12 hrs for 187.5Mbps Ultra High Speed (as requested in my order today) but I'd prefer to verify that with fellow travelers who've put it through the wringer.

Last edited by OliverB; Nov 8, 2017 at 4:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.