MiFi Wifi Rental in Japan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MiFi Wifi Rental in Japan

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 6:11 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Rule of thumb with any of the "75 mbs 4G" devices is that you will get somewhere between 10-30 mbs. And then you will probably lose some more of that speed with the connection to your device. Still fast enough for almost anything.... Battery life is dependent on signal strength. Anywhere from 4-12hrs, I had a day where I ran out after 6hrs when traveling by train and having lots of tunnels and some rural areas without reception. Just turn it off in such a situation and you can probably last the day.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Another satisfied customer of Global Advanced here. I rented an additional battery pack with it which I only needed on a couple of occasions in two weeks of use - and could have done without if I had been careful with switching the unit off when not in use presumably. I also got about 8 hours out of the unit on a full charge.

Didn't think to check the download rate. (It was better than the hotel wifi for sure.) But for my leisure travel needs it was more than adequate and a fantastic luxury to have WiFi on demand at all times. Would definitely use it again.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Ok, I just read all 122 posts

Initially my plan was to get SIM cards for our iPhone 5's but it sure sounds like the way to go is with Global Advanced

Here is what I have/need:

Have: Myself (adult), two teens all with iPhones (two iPhone 5's (not 5s) and one iPhone 4). We will have two iPad's as well. I presume this MiFi will have enough juice and data for three of us during the day each and every day?

Need: wifi or data is the biggest thing for us. I don't know how to use Skype but the kids do so I should be fine with my calls there which will be far and few between

Need coverage for: We will be in Tokyo for about 10 days and Hiroshima for about 3 days. Taking the train to Hiroshima RT.

Q: What I don't get is that when we are in the hotel don't they all have free wifi? I presume that they do or at least the properties (SPG & Hyatt) that I'm looking at. On that note, if we use hotel wifi at night and charge the battery to the mifi, we should be just fine or am I totally missing something.

I'm thinking picking up the MiFi at NRT just to have it from the get go and drop it off at the PO at NRT on departure for home.

Q: What is the downside to the SIM cards? Cost I presume
Old Jul 26, 2014, 1:12 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I think what your asking has already been answered here a few times.....

But the major advantages of renting the MiFi over getting a SIM card are:
- your phone still works for calls to your US number
- no need to change settings on your phone assuming it's unlocked already
- speed/data volume
- connection for more than one device

But both work, it's whatever you prefer. If you only need it for basic stuff like navigation while on the road you could also invest in a good international data plan and simply use Wifi in the hotel. Probably the cheapest option.

If you plan on being online for 24hr you might as well stay at home :-).
Old Jul 26, 2014, 8:35 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

They say not to open the Global Advanced WiFi unit. Didn't intend to but it fell accidentally and the back popped off. Looks like 80%+ of the innards are battery! It's pretty much worked all day for me, I wouldn't recommend paying to rent an extra charger in most cases.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:50 am

I bought a Mophie XL Powerstation as backup just to be safe; it can bring my iPad and both mine and the missus' cell phones from near-drained to full charge in about 45 minutes. It can apparently do so 8 times over without needing a recharge. It was worth the investment ($120) for piece of mind and it's a great travel accessory, weighing just under 1lb and approx. the size of a deck of cards, it fits perfectly in my Filson bag and isn't much bigger than my iPhone. I looked into renting an extra battery as backup and I recall the cost being exorbitant. Not that much less than the Mophie and I'll get plenty of use from this on future trips; especially our frequent road trips through CA. I highly recommend it!

http://www.amazon.com/Powerstation-E.../dp/B00HCM8DJO

Last edited by OliverB; Jul 27, 2014 at 9:12 am
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:12 am

That's very expensive ($124US) for an external battery for only 12,000 mah. You can get this capacity battery on Amazon for 3-4x cheaper. Renting an external battery for mifi device isn't the best financial decision imho
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:15 am

I'm not an expert but not all batteries are of the same quality and from all the research I've done, this is supposedly the best on the market for its purpose. It can also charge two devices simultaneously without compromising power or efficiency.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by OliverB
I'm not an expert but not all batteries are of the same quality and from all the research I've done, this is supposedly the best on the market for its purpose. It can also charge two devices simultaneously without compromising power or efficiency.
I own an Anker. This one supports simultaneous charging for up to three devices and yes with no compromising efficiency. It has built-in current optimizer which shorten charging time. 12000mAh. $45.99. 4A maximum output allows charging two iPads at one time.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CEZBKTO
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by OliverB
Agree, not all batteries are the same quality. I was speaking in relation to MIFI extra battery rental. It just does not make sense when you can get a pretty cheap external battery. I usually buy 10000-12000 mah external batteries for about $25US. IMHO it's better to do that then by expensive one as most Li-ion and Li-polymer batteries will die or significantly loose capacity on its own on average in under 36 months. Plus, by carrying 2 cheap ones, you can have one on a charger while the other one is with you as it generally takes a very long time to fully charge such a battery.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:13 am

How is Global Advanced if your plans change and you either cut your trip short or extend the trip?

Do they just prorate or adjust based on the number of actual days or in the case of cutting it short are you committed to paying for the number of days that you signed up for?

I guess another way to put it, is there an early return penalty?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:34 am

I'm sure there's no penalty but I doubt you would get any amount refunded either.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:48 pm

I'm filling out the Global Advanced application for the mifi but I have two questions

1. I'm flying JAL from LAX-NRT, what terminal should I put down to pick it up? and
2. it says something about the Post Office being closed, I take it when I land it (Sunday late aft) that it will be closed, how does this affect my pick up?

thanks
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:58 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Why not simply have it delivered to your hotel.... no need to spend extra time picking it up or be dependent on when you arrive. It's free and you get a confirmation a day in advance that it was delivered.
No advantage in picking it up yourself, just like with the Rail Pass :-).

Last edited by RTW1; Jul 30, 2014 at 2:08 am
Old Jul 30, 2014, 1:52 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I'm filling out the Global Advanced application for the mifi but I have two questions

1. I'm flying JAL from LAX-NRT, what terminal should I put down to pick it up? and
2. it says something about the Post Office being closed, I take it when I land it (Sunday late aft) that it will be closed, how does this affect my pick up?

thanks
JL uses T2 in NRT. How late is your flight? The post office in T2 is open until 8 PM seven days a week. Or you can pay 525 yen extra to pick it up from the QL Liner counter in T2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.