Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MiFi Wifi Rental in Japan

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by RTW1
No advantage in picking it up yourself, just like with the Rail Pass :-).
Don't you have to pick up the Rail Pass yourself?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:57 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Order (the voucher) from the internet, activate on arrival....
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
JL uses T2 in NRT. How late is your flight? The post office in T2 is open until 8 PM seven days a week. Or you can pay 525 yen extra to pick it up from the QL Liner counter in T2.
5 p.m. arrival at NRT (Sunday)

I didn't know it was open till 8 p.m. 7 days a week

I said airport pickup b/c I thought I read on this thread its handy to have it as soon as your arrive so that you can use google maps if you get lost

that was my line of thinking anyway

thanks for the info though, the hotel option doesn't sound bad "IF" we don't get lost LOL
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:40 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
How is Global Advanced if your plans change and you either cut your trip short or extend the trip?

Do they just prorate or adjust based on the number of actual days or in the case of cutting it short are you committed to paying for the number of days that you signed up for?

I guess another way to put it, is there an early return penalty?
I extended via email and they treated it quite fairly; i.e., charged the lower prices for the extended period as if it had been one longer rental from the beginning.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:58 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I said airport pickup b/c I thought I read on this thread its handy to have it as soon as your arrive so that you can use google maps if you get lost
If you think you will get lost on your way to the limousine bus you need more than wifi :-).

Why complicate things? Arrive at NRT, leave the terminal, step on the limousine bus, arrive at your hotel and find the Mifi already in your room.

That's the way to do it when arriving in the evening, staying at the GH and traveling with luggage. Then charge the Mifi and you're good to go the next day.

Also the activation of your JR pass will probably take less time when not done at the airport, those lines can get really long.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:25 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
If you think you will get lost on your way to the limousine bus you need more than wifi :-).

Why complicate things? Arrive at NRT, leave the terminal, step on the limousine bus, arrive at your hotel and find the Mifi already in your room.
I'd like to pick up the mifi at the airport so I can catch up with what I've missed while flying (especially if I don't get onboard wifi) and to kill time while sitting on N'EX.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:33 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I'd like to pick up the mifi at the airport so I can catch up with what I've missed while flying (especially if I don't get onboard wifi) and to kill time while sitting on N'EX.
That's another way to do it. Can be usefull in the bus as well, although I tend to value the quiet time just after arrival and enjoy looking out of the window instead of being online :-).

The question would be, is it worth it taking the extra time at the airport (and with the chance of a flight delay not being able to get there in time) over just having it delivered to your hotel.....

And I guess the Mifi's arrive with a pretty decent charge so they can be used immediatly.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:49 am

That's the way to do it when arriving in the evening, staying at the GH and traveling with luggage. Then charge the Mifi and you're good to go the next day.

Also the activation of your JR pass will probably take less time when not done at the airport, those lines can get really long.
Sounds like a good plan, thanks
Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:35 am

Programs: AA, USAir

I 2nd that ^

I always pick up at the airport Post Office. It only takes about 2 minutes for them to verify your passport and you to get your package. Battery has always been charged so ready to go before I get in line for the N'EX or Limo Bus.

N'EX even has a 100V outlet at your seat so you can charge your gear while heading to your destination.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by jimbaum
I 2nd that ^

I always pick up at the airport Post Office. It only takes about 2 minutes for them to verify your passport and you to get your package. Battery has always been charged so ready to go before I get in line for the N'EX or Limo Bus.

N'EX even has a 100V outlet at your seat so you can charge your gear while heading to your destination.
Ok to pick it up at Narita, but at Haneda they charge an extra 1200 yen or so to pick it up there...plus, short commute from HND to Tokyo, so I figure I can do without the internet for another 1/2 hour or so.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:19 am

Programs: United MP 1K, SPG Gold

yes, the NEX ride takes a while, i always pick it up at the airport as well. It's nice to have online access and research stuff in tokyo (where to eat!) before actually getting to your hotel.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 5:05 pm

It's been two days and I haven't heard anything back on my request

Is that a bad sign?
Old Aug 8, 2014, 1:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I got the acknowledgement of my order form within 24hrs, and the payment request within another 24hrs.

So yes, contact them again (or look in your spam folder).
Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
It's been two days and I haven't heard anything back on my request

Is that a bad sign?
Which company are you using? Global Advanced?

I have booked with them a number of times. Just booked them a few weeks ago and got my request processed in 3 hours at most. Paid on line, send them e mail cofirming the name I had booked the hotel reservation under and had a reply from them in an hour or so acknowleding the information provided and confirming they had been paid.

Whole process took less than 24 hours start to finish.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by mapleg
Which company are you using? Global Advanced?

I have booked with them a number of times. Just booked them a few weeks ago and got my request processed in 3 hours at most. Paid on line, send them e mail cofirming the name I had booked the hotel reservation under and had a reply from them in an hour or so acknowleding the information provided and confirming they had been paid.

Whole process took less than 24 hours start to finish.
I did a follow-up email and did get a quick response

no myfi available for the majority of my visit

I need a plan B now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.