Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anywhere Challenge: Win up to 60,000 points over the next 8 weeks

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2010, 5:05 pm

Unless I am mistaken no one has received points yet for week three - Kenai River, Alaska. I think that week will be the most telling for what they will and won't accept as a correct answer. The week two acceptable answers of "Royal Chitwan" versus just "Chitwan" doesn't necessarily mean that the program will filter out extra words. I think the reason both got points was because both are valid names for the same park. Many guide books still refer to it is a "Royal Chitwan" with the Royal included, even though the official name doesn't include the Royal at this time. I'm guessing they listed both as correct place names.

Hopefully they will post the Kenai points on Monday and we will know for week 5 what gets points. For instance, if someone put "Kenai Fjords River National Park Alaska" and got full credit then we will know it ignores extra words.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 5:09 pm

Yep. The Kenai results will be interesting to see. So far a few people have posted/messaged their answers and I'm getting some good info on Nepal, but I really need more.

More answers I have the better.

I can't wait for the Kenai ones though, I know people put things like Kenai Penninsula which is obviously pointless but will it still slip the net?

I'm off to bed. It says 4pm on here, it's midnight in the UK! Have a nice eve all and I hope to be inundated with your answers when I get up in the morning!

Last edited by Infoleech; Sep 30, 2010 at 5:27 pm
Old Sep 30, 2010, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
Originally Posted by marybdisney
For instance, if someone put "Kenai Fjords River National Park Alaska" and got full credit then we will know it ignores extra words.
I would be the one to tell you that.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 6:24 pm

Day 2 I submitted Sabah, Borneo, Malaysia
Today I submitted Mabul Island, Sabah, Malaysia

Waiting to see if for last day if they are going back to a national park hint (ie Kinabalu, Pulau Tiga, or Tunku Abdul Rahman) like they wanted for weeks 1 and 2.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 6:42 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Last night I submitted Pulau Tiga National Park, Sabah, Borneo, Malaysia
Tonight just Sabah, Borneo, Malaysia .... and yes, like so many others, was stuck in Japan on the first night.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 6:45 pm

I do hope the creators of this contest is indeed watching this thread. Sabah, Malaysia should be the right geographical and political designation for the State, Country. Borneo is now commonly known as an island now. Reason why Borneo may exist in current literature on the web is left over from the old British Empire days where the entire Island was called British Borneo (as called by the locals). Before 1957, there was no Malaysia but Borneo Island was there.

Facts from Tourism Malaysia website www.tourism.gov.my:

"The Federation of Malaysia comprises of Peninsular Malaysia, and the states of Sabah and Sarawak on the island of Borneo"

"Geographically, Malaysia is as diverse as its culture. There are two parts to the country, 11 states in the peninsula of Malaysia and two states on the northern part of Borneo"

To be more accurate, the creators could be looking for a specific area, like a city. Then the answer would be:

Kota Kinabalau, Sabah, Malaysia (city, state, country).

But given the clues (up to #3), I don't see any reference to any city, just the area. Why I say I hope the creators of this contest is watching this thread is that, even though their market research teams may have come across Sabah, Malaysian Borneo somewhere in their research, Borneo is not a part of Malaysia, the country (or vice versa). Borneo is NOT a country but the 3rd largest island in the world. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borneo

In short, given all the confusion and if the creators are indeed looking for a State to be the answer, I hope the creators give everyone who entered Sabah, Malaysia (with or without the word Borneo) to be awarded the points.

Again, if we are looking for a more specific answer (and the answer is a State), the most accurate answer is: Sabah, Malaysia (East) as Sabah really is in East Malaysia. yes, normally you would never use Eastern US or Western Canada but Malaysia the country is located on 2 separate islands (East and West), the more accurate answer would be what I bolded in my last sentence.

Everyone who is confused, please make reference to this short and simple history lesson in hopes that the creators will see it!
Old Sep 30, 2010, 6:57 pm
nhl

Originally Posted by mealto
I do hope the creators of this contest is indeed watching this thread. Sabah, Malaysia should be the right geographical and political designation for the State, Country. Borneo is now commonly known as an island now. Reason why Borneo may exist in current literature on the web is left over from the old British Empire days where the entire Island was called British Borneo (as called by the locals). Before 1957, there was no Malaysia but Borneo Island was there.

In short, given all the confusion and if the creators are indeed looking for a State to be the answer, I hope the creators give everyone who entered Sabah, Malaysia (with or without the word Borneo) to be awarded the points.

Again, if we are looking for a more specific answer (and the answer is a State), the most accurate answer is: [COLOR="Black"][B]Sabah, Malaysia (East)[/
Everyone who is confused, please make reference to this short and simple history lesson in hopes that the creators will see it!

I'm new here and I'm Malaysian and I couldn't agree more. I hope I can contribute something there..
Base on the 1st clue, for the site of the show, the answer is Pulau Tiga, Sabah.
2nd Clue is the stinky flower will be anywhere in Sabah
3rd Clue the ethnic groups ( Orang Asli ) is Sabah.. or anywhere else in East M'sia.

The conclusion will be Sabah, might not be Pulau Tiga, but definitely not Mabul Island, as it's not the site of the reality show, and the stinky flower doesn't grow there.. i think. As for the picture.. It might be Mabul Island but the other clues doesn't fit in. So it is safe to say it's Sabah, Malaysia.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 7:04 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
My wife is from Malaysia and have been there but never to the other side...I see Sabah visit in our future
Old Sep 30, 2010, 7:08 pm
nhl

Thanks for sharing the info. I enjoy reading the forum, another possibility will be Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia as the other show, Amazing Race was film there, and everybody flies in to KK before going to anywhere else in Sabah. There's a National Park there, and the stinky flowers surely grows there and there's different types of races there too. It will fit in all the clues, but not the pictures. The picture, if it's taken in Mabul Island, it's a place in nowhere with nothing around it.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by nhl
I'm new here and I'm Malaysian ... So it is safe to say it's Sabah, Malaysia.
Finally..someone who has first hand knowledge of the situation.

Your contribution is wonderful

We love you.

Don't be a stranger
Old Sep 30, 2010, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by nhl
everybody flies in to KK before going to anywhere else in Sabah. There's a National Park there, and the stinky flowers surely grows there and there's different types of races there too. It will fit in all the clues, but not the pictures. The picture, if it's taken in Mabul Island, it's a place in nowhere with nothing around it.
The park isn't really near KK. It's at least an hour's drive away. I know because I've done the drive!
Old Sep 30, 2010, 7:29 pm
nhl

You're most welcome, I'm glad to help, if I can.
I'll go with Kota Kinabalu National Park, Sabah, Malaysia for today since the other 2 pictures were national parks. They might actually have documentaries for the national park as it has many extinct species and the mountain is the highest in south east asia.
I still don't understand about the picture part because it doesn't fit the clues, it's in Sipadan, a diving spot with nothing nearby.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 7:31 pm

Question

Originally Posted by Infoleech
Yep. The Kenai results will be interesting to see. So far a few people have posted/messaged their answers and I'm getting some good info on Nepal, but I really need more.

More answers I have the better.

I can't wait for the Kenai ones though, I know people put things like Kenai Penninsula which is obviously pointless but will it still slip the net?

I'm off to bed. It says 4pm on here, it's midnight in the UK! Have a nice eve all and I hope to be inundated with your answers when I get up in the morning!
My answer was Chitwan National Park, Southeast Asia and I recieved points
Old Sep 30, 2010, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Goodie
My answer was Chitwan National Park, Southeast Asia and I recieved points
Now we're talking. Thanks for sharing... and, a real revelation at that... of what exactly we'll learn shortly.

An answer without Nepal is particularly shocking, since that's in their stated answer.

If accurate, and I guess it could make sense, the specific place is weighted over the larger geography???

So, they're either...

discarding the secondary geography completely...
OR
programing LOTS of acceptable answers....???

Wow, to say the least.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by nhl
You're most welcome, I'm glad to help, if I can.
I'll go with Kota Kinabalu National Park, Sabah, Malaysia for today since the other 2 pictures were national parks. They might actually have documentaries for the national park as it has many extinct species and the mountain is the highest in south east asia.
I still don't understand about the picture part because it doesn't fit the clues, it's in Sipadan, a diving spot with nothing nearby.
The park is Kinabalu National Park; Kota Kinabalu is a nearby city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.