Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anywhere Challenge: Win up to 60,000 points over the next 8 weeks

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2010, 5:18 am

Focus on the written clues? Are you kidding?

Originally Posted by Happy
The written clues ARE the ones we should focus on in our deduction.
I'm sorry, but the people saying focus on the written clues, the pictures are too general, are you [insert suitable adjective]?

The Aruba picture was a little misleading admittedly, although the shrubs and cacti in the forground on day 1 was the park.

Week 2, are you seriously telling me this ISN'T a picture of the Chitwan Park?
Week 3, are you seriouely telling me this ISN'T a picture of the Kenai River?

Come on guys, think about what you're saying!

I'm going with the pictures on this one. The clues all point to Sabah, Malaysia but I think that's just too general.

Every single picture there points to Mabul Island!

The flower, debatable but there is no evidence to suggest it doesn't grow on the island, just that it grows in the Borneo region. The ethnic clue is dubious, nowhere on earth is home to many indiginous ethnic groups. You tell me a country where asians, africans and caucasians are found together naturally? There isn't one. But it is fair to say people from Malaysia, Indonesia, and probably a few other surrounding countries live there. Look at the island close up on Google Earth, apart from the resort the place is a shanty town, loads of people live there I guess for the fishing, one of the photos is even labelled as a Gypsy village. There must be peope from all over there.

Also on Google Earth, Mabul Island doesn't get any hits, but suggests Mabul, Malaysia as the place name. This is what I'm going with today.

Last edited by Infoleech; Oct 1, 2010 at 6:02 am
Old Oct 1, 2010, 5:22 am

A G search on "Mabul island" produces this basic Wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mabul

Mabul is a small island off the south-eastern coast of Sabah in Malaysia
Confirms name as Mabul, not Mabul Island. Infact, the only places it seems to be called Mabul Island is with travel agents.

1999 census, it was recorded that there are approximately 2000 villagers living in Mabul, half of them children below 14 years old. Majority are immigrants from relatively nearby clusters of islands of the southern Philippines
Malaysia, Indonesia, Phillipines, hmmm, that would make it home to many ethnic groups.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Happy
The written clues ARE the ones we should focus on in our deduction.
Quite a few people here seem to be certain the answer is simply Sabah, Malaysia. I think you're so sure you'll all willing to ignore all the pictures apart from the stinky flower.

Entering an answer as Sabah, Malaysia is like entering Alaska, USA. It's too vague. It has to be the name of a specific destination/park/feature/whatever. Sabah is undoutedly correct we all know that, but where?

The flower is the only thing that's found all over Sabah, but those cabins, we all know EXACTLY where they are! None of the pictures relate to Pualu Tiga, Kimtablahblah National Park, or Kota Wherevertheairportis.

In the words of a well known TV show here in the UK, "SAY WHAT YOU SEE!".

The written clues DO fit with Mabul.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 5:51 am

ok morning rant over.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
How can it be a National Park???
It is a resort.

Which resort has water huts or bungalows???

Palau Sipadan Resort,Sabah,Malaysia

Last edited by djjaguar64; Oct 1, 2010 at 6:17 am
Old Oct 1, 2010, 6:47 am
nhl

Can anyone confirm that Mabul or Sipadan is a site of several reality shows?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nhl
can anyone confirm that mabul or sipadan is a site of several reality shows?
sipadan water resort,mabul,sabah,malaysia
Old Oct 1, 2010, 6:53 am

What reality TV shows were filmed in either Mabul or Sipadan?

The contest developers may have gotten misled by the SDC Lodges website http://pulau-tiga.com/ which references resorts in both Pulau Tiga and Mabul. I also think they just did a keyword search for photos using "Sabah" and "Malaysia" to come up with their composite, without necessarily realizing most of the pics were from Mabul.
In addition, none of the Hotels Anywhere are in the Mabul/Sipidan area; they are all in the Kota Kinabalu area.

Last edited by DealDetective; Oct 1, 2010 at 7:35 am
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:22 am

I typed in Spidan reality shows and it gave me a site and it says these reality shows.

Sabah is not known for producing many well-known media figures, but the few it has produced have made their mark. Noteworthy mentions include filmmaker Tony Francis Gitom; Malaysian National Service blogger Kim; and Malaysian Idol participant Nicolette Palikat.

Some films and shows filmed in Sabah include the first season of reality show Survivor, The Amazing Race, Eco-Challenge Borneo, Bat*21, and Sacred Planet. Sabah's first homegrown film was Orang Kita, starring Abu Bakar Ellah.

Sabah's first established newspaper was the New Sabah Times. The newspaper was founded by Donald Stephens, who later became the First Chief Minister of Sabah.

I am putting my answer as Sipadan Mabul Resort, Sabah, Malaysia. When I got to the Sipadan Mabul Resort, Sabah, Malaysia site it shows a picture of the bungalows in the water and I feel this should be a fair answer.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:29 am

Unhappy Hung up on specifics

Originally Posted by nhl
Can anyone confirm that Mabul or Sipadan is a site of several reality shows?
Originally Posted by DealDetective
What reality TV shows were filmed in either Mabul or Sipadan?
None. It's a clue. A hint. A pointer in the right direction. On day 1 it helped point us at Pualu Tiga, the Sabah region, hence serving it's purpose.

Tell me, which ethnic groups habit the Pualu Tiga islands? Oh wait, none. Nobody lives there.

The contest developers may have gotten misled by the SDC Lodges website
Yes, I'm sure they got their contest wrong. Lucky you found their mistake and corrected it for us all.

In addition, none of the hotels Anywhere are in the Mabul/Sipidan area; they are all in the Kota Kinabalu area.
There is no evidence to suggest there has to be a hotel right there. There are hotels within visiting distance which I think is fine. There's no hotel in the National Park in Nepal or Aruba, and I doubt there's an underwater hotel in the Kenai River either.

Remember, the clues are just hints designed to point us in the right direction. They are not specifically about the actual answer or they'd be called FACTS.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:30 am

"In addition, none of the hotels Anywhere are in the Mabul/Sipidan area; they are all in the Kota Kinabalu area."
I noticed on the winners page, it just says to find hotels in Aruba or Nepal. For Kenai River, it will probably just say Alaska. So it seems we could have a more specific answer, like Mabul Island and they will tell us to find a hotel in Sabah.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:32 am

Programs: IC Royal Platinum Amb 2M+, Marriott Platinum, HHH, WR, GPP, HGP, 1st-airPPC
Smile

Awesome responses and research. To some degree, I feel I have actually visited the destinations listed with all of the research concluded thus far.

What do you think of a multiple island destination such as: Sipadan and Mabul islands, Borneo? I suggest this because they are both dive island resorts. Borneo and these island resorts encompass most, if not all, of the past clues.

Have an awesome day
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Blazing15
I typed in Spidan reality shows and it gave me a site and it says these reality shows.

Sabah is not known for producing many well-known media figures, but the few it has produced have made their mark. Noteworthy mentions include filmmaker Tony Francis Gitom; Malaysian National Service blogger Kim; and Malaysian Idol participant Nicolette Palikat.

Some films and shows filmed in Sabah include the first season of reality show Survivor, The Amazing Race, Eco-Challenge Borneo, Bat*21, and Sacred Planet. Sabah's first homegrown film was Orang Kita, starring Abu Bakar Ellah.

Sabah's first established newspaper was the New Sabah Times. The newspaper was founded by Donald Stephens, who later became the First Chief Minister of Sabah.

I am putting my answer as Sipadan Mabul Resort, Sabah, Malaysia. When I got to the Sipadan Mabul Resort, Sabah, Malaysia site it shows a picture of the bungalows in the water and I feel this should be a fair answer.
I found that article here: http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Sabah Unfortunately, while you may have searched for Sipidan, this article is about the entire state of Sabah. The only reference specific to Sipidan is the diving: "a large number of excellent locations for scuba diving, including the famous island of Sipadan." Frankly, if they wanted us to pinpoint Sipidan/Mabul, I would have expected a clue about diving rather than home of stinky flowers, many indigenous ethnic groups, or Reality TV.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:15 am

Programs: Priority Club, Aeroplan, Hilton Honours, TD Travel Rewards
I think we need to get out the the National Parks mentality.

I don't think that PC would base the whole contest solely on National Parks.

Week 3 outcome should solidify that for all of us.

From the clues we have this week I think it is safe to say the the answer has to be one of 2 options:

Mabul Island or Sabah.

With the reality show clue I think they are just narrowing down the region in which the shows were located and not an "exact location."

The remainder of the clues really point to Mabul Island.
From all the investigation I been doing on the clues and mostly the pictures used I can't think of anyother locations this week???

Today I may just enter another guess but other than Sabah and Mabul I don't know what else to guess??

Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:24 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat Amb, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Plat., Diamond Club,
Now that the guessing is out of the way for the week I just thought Id add a bit of trivia...

Priority Club believe that points will increase in dollar value in week 7...

Do they know something we don't??

A total of 8 Weekly Prizes (1 per random drawing) will be awarded, as follows:

* Weekly Prize #1 30,000 Priority Club Reward (PCR) points ($126 USD)
* Weekly Prize #2 30,000 PCR points plus a Kodak Digital Video Camera ($286 USD)
* Weekly Prize #3 60,000 PCR points ($252 USD)
* Weekly Prize #4 30,000 PCR points plus a 16 GB iPad ($756 USD)
* Weekly Prize #5 30,000 PCR points ($126 USD)
* Weekly Prize #6 30,000 PCR points plus a Digital Camera ($286 USD)
* Weekly Prize #7 60,000 PCR points ($256 USD)
* Weekly Prize #8 30,000 PCR points plus a 16 GB iPad ($756 USD)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.