Wiki Posts
Search

Anywhere Challenge: Win up to 60,000 points over the next 8 weeks

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Infoleech
ok morning rant over.
lol

Deciding between the two national parks for my last chance guess. I hope my answer of Sabah, Borneo (not sure if necessary, but what the heck), Malaysia is what they are looking for.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Horse
Malaysia is what they are looking for.
Actually Horse, maybe not. Goodie reported he/she won week 2 points with "Chitwan National Park, Southeast Asia". I've asked him to confirm points posted on 28th Sep and definately couldn't have been his/her week 1 answer but no reply yet.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:46 am

So in this season 4 of amazing race asia.

They went to Kota Kinablu(sp?) Sabah Malaysia.

That is what they put in words on the leg because that is where the airport is located.

They went all over Sabah. I think the answer will be Sabah, Malaysia.

In school here they always said words trump numbers and pictures. (e.g. five-hundred dollars ($5000.00) - the written will trump the numbers).

Anywho, we shall see Monday what the deal is. I think having Sabah, Malaysia is something we can all agree on.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:52 am

Programs: United, American, Delta, Usairways, Southwest, Avis, Alamo, Hyatt, Marriot, Intercontinental
Thatched Roof Stilt Houses

Hi All,

The images that showed up today include some new stilt houses but these have different roofs than the Sipadan constructions.

Here's something I saw on the Sipidan Water Village Resort Website
(http://www.swvresort.com/about.cfm)
"Sipadan Water Village is a resort beautifully constructed with Bajau architectural design. Part of the Mabul Island is also home to groups of Bajau fishermen who have built their traditional palm thatched houses. The Bajau Laut, the world's only tribe of nomadic sea gypsies spends their lives on the water. Over the years, some have entered a transition from sea nomadic to sedentary village life at a former major anchorage site such as Mabul. "
I think the fisherman in the photo and the thatched roof homes add credence to the Mabul answer (which i entered yesterday) or the Sipadan answer (which i will enter today).

I would love to add Kinabulu but there's no connection to it in the photos. I only have guess left so I think I'll go with Sipadan.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:04 am

My last parting thought for this week contest.

Could they be referring to a particular resort? Why in the world would they throw in a picture of a bench with pillows. This will be very interesting in what they will select as the final answer.

My entries for this week.
Day 2: Sabah, Borneo, Malaysia
Day 3: Mabul Island, Sabah, Malaysia
Day 5: Pulau Tiga Resort, Sabah, Malaysia
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:23 am

My guesses were:

T - Republic of Palau (wild guess).
W- Pulau Tiga, Sabah, Borneo, Malaysia (per Wikipedia entry on Survivor).
Th - Sabah, Borneo, Malaysia.
F- Sabah, Malaysia.

I was actually getting LESS specific as the week wound down. We'll see what it gets me....

-J
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by imchaz
My last parting thought for this week contest.

Could they be referring to a particular resort? Why in the world would they throw in a picture of a bench with pillows. This will be very interesting in what they will select as the final answer.

My entries for this week.
Day 2: Sabah, Borneo, Malaysia
Day 3: Mabul Island, Sabah, Malaysia
Day 5: Pulau Tiga Resort, Sabah, Malaysia
I don't think your allowed a guess on day 5
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:30 am

The Bird would of lead u here the first day.

Yes I am new but have been following for the past 2 weeks and thanks to those of you who have really helped. If I am correct someone pointed some birds on day 1 and they boxed it in but if u look directly below the red box they hid a picture of a Straited Heron which can be found on shutter stock, Striated Heron at Kota Kinabalu, Borneo , not quite sure where they were going with this as the bird being located or something else JAPAN...
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Infoleech
Quite a few people here seem to be certain the answer is simply Sabah, Malaysia. I think you're so sure you'll all willing to ignore all the pictures apart from the stinky flower.

Entering an answer as Sabah, Malaysia is like entering Alaska, USA. It's too vague. It has to be the name of a specific destination/park/feature/whatever. Sabah is undoutedly correct we all know that, but where?
I did them both. Sahab on day 2 and Mabul Island on day 3. I'm feeling pretty confident about my second answer though. I don't really think there are numerous indiginous peoples in Mabul Island. It has a population around 1,000. But, we'll see. I don't think any of us are just stopping on day 2 and not entering more answers, and I think "Mabul Island," given how specific the pictures are, is certainly a worthy day 3 attempt. I probably would have included Mabul somewhere in my day 2 answer if the pictures had been decoded.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:59 am

Did anyone else notice the paid ad at the top of the page for SIPADAN-MABUL RESORT . I think the ad was sponsored by IHG.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:12 am

It's Google Adsense. It reads the page you're on and gives relevant adverts. Since we're all talking about Malaysia etc etc they will be holiday and travel ads. No IHG conspiracy here.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:16 am

I've finally ID'd the resort from the 1st day where the bench, grass and rocks are located. If you recall, it came from a Shutterstock photo simply labeled "Beautiful resort with Mount Kinabalu in the distance, Sabah, Borneo." If you look closely at this photo taken at the Shangri-La Tanjung Aru Resort in Kota Kinabalu, you can see the same group of palm trees with Mount Kinabalu in the distance.

The unique feature I've noticed from day one is the pointed rock on the right hand side in the foreground, which is the same in both pictures. Also, here are the benches with the orange pillows:

Interestingly, this resort is one of the Hotels Anywhere properties listed for Kota Kinabalu or Sabah. Mabul is not in the drop down list, but both Chitwan and Kenai are.

So, the composite image includes photos taken on both the east and west coasts of Sabah. While most of the images are from Mabul, they are not all from Mabul.

Last edited by DealDetective; Oct 14, 2010 at 11:31 am Reason: Corrected images
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greatsagex
Take all four different guesses, Id think. I replied correctly for ARIKOK NATIONAL PARK, Aruba on week 1 on day 2, got credit, Guessed other places in Aruba on days 3 and 4. 1500 to my account.
Are you sure the 1500 is not from Week 2?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DealDetective
I've finally ID'd the resort from the 1st day where the bench, grass and rocks are located. If you recall, it came from a Shutterstock photo simply labeled "Beautiful resort with Mount Kinabalu in the distance, Sabah, Borneo." If you look closely at this photo taken at the Shangri-La Tanjung Aru Resort in Kota Kinabalu you can see the same group of palm trees with Mount Kinabalu in the distance. The unique feature I've noticed from day one is the pointed rock on the right hand side in the foreground, which is the same in both pictures. Here is another photo of the same scene without the rocks in the foreground.

So, the composite image includes photos taken on both the east and west coasts of Sabah. While most of the images are from Mabul, they are not all from Mabul.

The satay looks yummy in the pictures.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by mech11
I don't think your allowed a guess on day 5
Opps Day 4 (today)...my bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.